Pancake lens for M4/3

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I usually shoot with a GX9, i thought i would never said that but I want to try something even smaller as a carry-everywhere camera. So I've just ordered a Lumix GX880 which is coming with a 12-32mm pancake zoom lens.

I'm not sure I want to keep the zoom lens. I usually prefer prime lens are they are faster aperture, don't extends when switch on and don't rotate.

If I've done my homework correctly the choices are:

panasonic 14mm f/2.5 length 20.5mm diametre 55.5mm weight 55g
olympus 17mm f/2.8 length 22mm diameter 57mm weight 71g
panasonic 20mm f/1.7 length 25.5mm diametre 63mm weight 87g (a tiny but bigger that the 12-32 zoom when this one is retracted)

lumix 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 lenght 24mm diametre 56mm weight 70g

I think I would like the 14mm because it's so small I want to try it. But I feel silly because my most used lens on the GX9 is the panny 15mm 1.7...
Any option i've missed out? Or things to consider?

If I've done my homework correctly the choices are:
It looks like you have done your homework correctly - I can't think of any others that would fit the "pancake" description. Of those the 20mm gets the best reviews and obviously has the widest aperture, although the 14mm is much smaller. I have had all three of those primes and while the 20mm might be optically the best I didn't get on with that focal length and now have the 14mm which suits me better and is still a very good lens. The Olympus gets a bad rap compared to their more expensive 17mm f/1.7 which can't really be classed as a pancake lens.

Which focal length do you use most on the zoom or other cameras? If it's the 15mm then maybe the 14 is the one to go for here.

I used to own the Olympus f2.8 17mm but replaced it with the f1.8 as it's not dramatically larger and I fancied the change.
The O 17mm f2.8 gets a bad rep for being soft but I didn't ever find it a problem
You can see some of my best work with it here
And the f1.8

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 gets a bad rep for being slow to focus but I've never owned one so can't speak from experience.

Camerasize.com doesn't have the GX880 but on the GX80 the 14mm looks like the smallest possible.
Have a look.

The only other pancakes I'd consider are the Olympus 14-42mm EZ zoom. but I don't think it offers any advantage over your Panasonic...
... and the Olympus f8 9mm body cap.
The body cap is stupidly small but obviously slow...and fisheye. It's fun but not really a contender for the only lens you'd want :)
My stuff with it here.

I had both the 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7. I think I'd lean more towards the 20mm but if someone prefers the wider FoV and can live with the f2.5 aperture of the 14mm then that's a valid choice :D

Just on the 20mm f1.7. I had the MK1 and 2. I did find both relatively slow to focus but if that matters or not will be down to the user. It wont be a problem for scenic pictures and for posed people pictures but I suppose could conceivably be a problem for moving subjects. I replaced mine with an Olympus 17mm f1.8 which is IMO a really nice lens, made of metal and with that lovely snap focus mechanism and lens markings. Lovely.

It's a long time since I had these lenses so take the following with a pinch of salt and do some research if needed... I remember at the time some saying the 20mm wasn't suitable for video but as I'm not interested in video I can't remember why. Another issue at the time was high ISO banding which you'd think was a lighting issue but was a phenomena linked to the 20mm lens, as far as I remember. I never saw this with my Panasonic G1 but when I got a camera that went to higher ISO's I did see it. Pictures taken with the 20mm showed it but pictures taken with another lens in exactly the same lighting didn't so it was definitely a lens issue. They may have fixed this now but it's maybe worth looking into if you take high ISO pictures.

Last edited:
It looks like you have done your homework correctly - I can't think of any others that would fit the "pancake" description. Of those the 20mm gets the best reviews and obviously has the widest aperture, although the 14mm is much smaller. I have had all three of those primes and while the 20mm might be optically the best I didn't get on with that focal length and now have the 14mm which suits me better and is still a very good lens. The Olympus gets a bad rap compared to their more expensive 17mm f/1.7 which can't really be classed as a pancake lens.

Which focal length do you use most on the zoom or other cameras? If it's the 15mm then maybe the 14 is the one to go for here.

Well on the GX9 I only have the 15mm f1.7 and the 42.5 f1.7. I think there's no point going for M4/3 if it's to get some of the bigger zoom.
I too am worried that the 20mm would be a bit too long for a do it all lens.

I had the mk1 20mm which I liked but for a walk about lens I had the 12-32 which in my eyes had similiar image quality and a bit more versatility

What a fancy site this camerasize.
The isn't the gx880 but there is the gx800 which is the previous model with exactly the same dimension.
I made a quick picture on the left my current camera with my current 15mm, next to it the GX880 with a 14mm, and next to this with the 20mm 1.7.

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 8
snip1.PNG

I have the GM1 with the 14mm which is about the smallest camera/lens combination possible with interchangeable lenses. The 20mm is actually too big for the GM1 (or GM5 in this case) as it overhangs the base of the camera! The Oly 17 f2.8 is almost as small as the Panasonic 14.

Well on the GX9 I only have the 15mm f1.7 and the 42.5 f1.7. I think there's no point going for M4/3 if it's to get some of the bigger zoom.
I too am worried that the 20mm would be a bit too long for a do it all lens.

You can't really generalise here, you really have to compare the lenses you're interested in as lenses vary from make to make / format to format and model to model.

Back