Panning on the Carousel

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was not going to post this as I'm really not sure how to think of it. Does it work? I have seen many panning shots on the car forums and thought I would try the same sort of technique on a shot of my daughter flying round on the carousel. I have only used some selective sharpening and would appreciate any C&C and also tips for improvement.

1zl89k5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I like it but I bet the purists will not think it is right.

Thanks tiler65. Glad you like it and thanks for commenting.

I think you've done a really good job to get this. I might just darken the background a little so it does not compete with the main subject so much. You could do it a lot more subtly than I've done it here, but you get the idea.

Works well for me, difficult shot well taken, minor niggle is that I'd consider cropping from the right a touch-she should be riding out of the frame.

I like it. A very nice addition to the family album! Captures the colours, speed and atmosphere very nicely.

Thanks for commenting treaclesponge. Thinking of really putting this one on the wall now. :LOL:

Works well for me, difficult shot well taken, minor niggle is that I'd consider cropping from the right a touch-she should be riding out of the frame.

Thanks for commenting Les now much do you think I should crop? 1/4 or less?

I think you've done a really good job to get this. I might just darken the background a little so it does not compete with the main subject so much. You could do it a lot more subtly than I've done it here, but you get the idea.

Your edit is very good and if I had seen it before posting I would have used that instead on the last cropped photo. I'm anything but subtle though :LOL: Thanks for taking the time to post your edit geordieboy.

I prefer the original. It's a great shot of a great family moment.

Leave it as it was taken IMHO

I like the cropping in the last image, although perhaps a little bit tight. I'm not keen on the harshness of the colour saturation now though. Although the original could do with a little extra p-zazz, I think it's been pushed a tad too far.

Just my opinion though.

I prefer the original. It's a great shot of a great family moment.

Leave it as it was taken IMHO

Thanks Nick I'm thinking I may leave it as it is in the pp dept.

I like the cropping in the last image, although perhaps a little bit tight. I'm not keen on the harshness of the colour saturation now though. Although the original could do with a little extra p-zazz, I think it's been pushed a tad too far.

Just my opinion though.

Will try a little less of a crop and post the results a little later.

Thank you both for taking the time to comment.

John :ty:

As someone who normally posts panning shots in the Motorsport section (but by no means a purist :) ) I think the original has worked out just great. I can't see anyway to improve upon it. I think you can feel very proud of that one. Definitely worth framing. (y)

Hows This

14uwca9.jpg

Perhaps just a bit tight, I was thinking of a crop just to the swirly bit on the horses back, and none from the bottom, and leave the processing as the original.

It's only a small crop, but with it I think your daughter will sit more comfortably in the frame, it's a bit like on the motorsport/airplane shots, there should always be additional empty space in front of the vehicle for them to run,fly, motor into.

I like it, though I think her face has been slightly over sharpened (however as no-one else has said that you can ignore me!). Prefer the original to the edits too. IMO shots like this don't need to be perfect in terms of sharpness so I'd back off the sharpening a bit and enjoy it - nice shot.

I can only echo what's already been said! You did well with the technique....better than I'd have imagined possible! :)

The edits have brought out your daughter a lot better and have more of a pop to them!

Original
2aeph06.jpg

New Cropped
2hr0txw.jpg

Having a blonde moment I had a look in the rejected images and noticed this one. I think it is a lot better than the one I originally posted. I have only run a high pass sharpen and nothing else. What do you think?

Last edited:
Perhaps just a bit tight, I was thinking of a crop just to the swirly bit on the horses back, and none from the bottom, and leave the processing as the original.

It's only a small crop, but with it I think your daughter will sit more comfortably in the frame, it's a bit like on the motorsport/airplane shots, there should always be additional empty space in front of the vehicle for them to run,fly, motor into.

I like it, though I think her face has been slightly over sharpened (however as no-one else has said that you can ignore me!). Prefer the original to the edits too. IMO shots like this don't need to be perfect in terms of sharpness so I'd back off the sharpening a bit and enjoy it - nice shot.

i like this too....as said,a good job on a difficult capture :clap:

I can only echo what's already been said! You did well with the technique....better than I'd have imagined possible! :)

The edits have brought out your daughter a lot better and have more of a pop to them!

Thank you all for the comments they are really appreciated if nothing else it shows I have much to learn. I hope in time I will get a better eye for a good shot.

If no one comments I will end up getting them both printed :bat:

Sorry I have never had a chance to use the bat smiley before.

I love the "original" & for me it is nicer than "new cropped", seems somehow more natural, her eyes are open and making contact.

I love the "original" & for me it is nicer than "new cropped", seems somehow more natural, her eyes are open and making contact.

Yes I can see where you are coming from and the background lights look better somehow I think. I may end up with two. I was also thinking along the lines that Les commented
it's a bit like on the motorsport/airplane shots, there should always be additional empty space in front of the vehicle for them to run,fly, motor into.
The new cropped one has pretty much all he said and the name of the horse is much more in focus. May try Photoshopping the horses name on to the original then. :eek:

Thanks for the comment lythambelle

The composition's a bit off, but your technique is spot-on - this is exactly the sort of image I would hope for if I were in your position...

Cracking shot well executed!! (y) nice work!

Back