Beginner Panning

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never done any motorsport photography - but I fancy it. Used to go and watch a lot of racing (BSB/ Moto GP/ World Motocross etc) and reckon it might be fun to take a camera along next time. Alas, I've never tried panning. So figured I'd go out and practice this morning... With any racing still months away I figure this could be a good time for step one.

It's not easy, is it? I didn't do loads (see below) but of the 40 or 50 shots I took only the one below was anywhere close, and only then because I upped the SS to 100 and the fellow was only going slow. Anything below that and the vehicles weren't in focus at all. At least in the one below there is some motion blur in the background, so I know I'm on the right track. I also know it's a technique that needs loads of practice, so getting one decent shot on the first effort is a start.

31887016993_04f573f54d_z.jpg

But, a bit like when I go out with the intent of doing some street photography, I didn't feel comfortable about taking shots of strangers - albeit this time in cars and vans - without permission. It felt...intrusive and wrong. And indeed one fellow drove about a half a mile out of his way to circle back round and pull up behind me (I was just openly standing by the side of the road) and ask what I was doing. He wasn't bothered after I'd explained but it just reinforced that feeling of intrusiveness. So anyway, I didn't persevere too long. It just didn't feel right.

Funnily enough, the one above was taken right outside my house - I was literally standing on my garden path yet still I felt guilty!

That's all :)
Derek

Back