Pano from the edge of the Grand Canyon

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Posting this with due deference to Garnock for showing the way and the tools for the job.

The stitcher program he linked to was confusing but very effective. It created a huge 178Mb Tiff which is a lot of fun to pan around :)

So here is a greatly reduced version

GCpanosml.jpg

And a link to a version a quarter the size of the original tiff.

3.5Mb Jpeg version <- must be seen full size!

Simple fact is no picture conveys the scale of the place - the other side in that view is something like 10 to 15 miles away!

Edit - Forgot to mention this is 7 portrait pictures combined. All shot on manual and all with the same RAW processing parameters.

That is superb Robert, I cannot imagine how vast it must be and I would love to visit it some time. I hope you don't mind but I had a quick play to lighten the shadow area on the right, I felt it was a bit overpowering and my eye kept getting drawn there, I also removed the head from the left side!

GCpano.jpg

Looks awesome! Don't know of there is a problem with the linky for the larger file - looks very compressed and not as detailed as the shot you are showing here :thinking:

Looks awesome! Don't know of there is a problem with the linky for the larger file - looks very compressed and not as detailed as the shot you are showing here :thinking:

If you are using IE hover over the picture and a button appears in the bottom right corner to expand to full size. It is the compression done by the browser that looks horrid ;)

The clarity of the big image is great. My photos of the GC (taken some years ago now) are all a bit hazy.

Ray

If you are using IE hover over the picture and a button appears in the bottom right corner to expand to full size. It is the compression done by the browser that looks horrid ;)

Ahhhh....that's better :) I only have one word to say - WOW!!!

Hope you dont mind me asking bue where did you get the software from? and how much did it cost?

Cost was £0.00 :)

All freeware!

Garnock mentioned PT Assembler in this thread so I just Googled it.

Which took me to http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm. When I ran it I just loaded the files and clicked the auto create button. It then errored and told me I needed another 2 programs which I got from links on the same site. After I did that it ran fine - took ages and didn't inform me much and there were command prompt windows popping up and disappearing but it did the job. Oh and the help wizard was more trouble that help! I'd suggest cancelling it.

I've made 3 more panos now that look good too from my Yosemite shots :)

Stunning pano Robert, the Grand Canyon is a place I'd love to visit..... maybe one day :)

Mike

My my the bar has been lifted lately in the scenary section.

This is another superb example Robert..:1st:

good panoramic that...now, I wonder - and not wishing to lighten the impact such a great image has - do you have any from either end of the day?

Cost was £0.00 :)

All freeware!

Garnock mentioned PT Assembler in this thread so I just Googled it.

Which took me to http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm. When I ran it I just loaded the files and clicked the auto create button. It then errored and told me I needed another 2 programs which I got from links on the same site. After I did that it ran fine - took ages and didn't inform me much and there were command prompt windows popping up and disappearing but it did the job. Oh and the help wizard was more trouble that help! I'd suggest cancelling it.

I've made 3 more panos now that look good too from my Yosemite shots :)

Thanks for the info Robert much appreciated.

I put together a 16Mb holiday report page here http://www.robertpeacock.co.uk/ which has lots more pictures including a sunset one of the canyon.

I got to the edge early and grabbed a good spot. As the sunset developed people were trying to get any vantage point they could and that included trying to stand in front of me! They didn't stay long in front of this complaining english guy :)

The colours got redder and the light dropped so it became harder to capture the detail level I would have liked as I had no tripod.

Didn't take any series for a pano though. Now I know how well they can go together I think I should have.

Hi Rob,

Just checked out your holiday report page, must have been a fantastic experience, and your photos are just great.

Cheers

Lee

Back