Pano from the summit of Ben Lui.

Edit My Images
Yes
16 images shot in portrait and stitched using PT Assembler.
Looking down Coire Gaothach along the Cononish to the north.

A much larger version can be found here. ( large file ! )
http://www.pbase.com/lamlash/image/66942373/original

large.jpg

The small JPEG doesnt do it justice, the larger version is wonderful. Bet that was a climb :)

Thanks chewyuk, I agree the larger pano is the one to view.

For it's size ( one of the highest Munros in the Southern Highlands ) it's relatively easy in summer conditions.
The long slog ( 4 miles ) from Tyndrum to the base of the hill is the only boring part. And back of course.

Good grief - do I understand that that stunning panorama is a composite of 16 shots? That is amazing!

Everyday I come across something on this site that amazes me and inspires me - fantastic.

The original is superb. But how come it took 16 shots ? Have you done 2x8 or taken them in portrait mode ? Must be a lot of overlap I would have thought. Would be keen to here the details.

Ray

Nice.

Yours has stiched together very well. Some of the ones I've tried recently have a much more pronounced darker blue band in the sky at some joins. I can see something similar above the peak on the left in the larger version but its quite feint.

I metered for the brightest 'tile' then shot the pano in manual. Are you doing the same or is the program you used clever enough to modify exposures too?

That is a great shot. I have just looked at your gallery which is fantastic. We have some great countryside - I need to go out and see more of it!!

The original is superb. But how come it took 16 shots ? Have you done 2x8 or taken them in portrait mode ? Must be a lot of overlap I would have thought. Would be keen to here the details.

Ray

Thanks Ray.
16 shots in portrait mode because they were hand held.
(I don't lug tripods up hills.:D )
I find in portrait mode with a large overlap I get better results.

Nice.

Yours has stiched together very well. Some of the ones I've tried recently have a much more pronounced darker blue band in the sky at some joins. I can see something similar above the peak on the left in the larger version but its quite feint.

I metered for the brightest 'tile' then shot the pano in manual. Are you doing the same or is the program you used clever enough to modify exposures too?

Robert, thanks for pointing that flaw on the left.
I hadn't noticed that.
I do exactly what you do.
Meter on the brightest area then shoot all in manual with at least 1/3 overlap.
No CP filter, obviously, but I do use ND grads.
I shoot in RAW and process all images with the same RAW settings before importing into PT Assembler as Tiffs.

Pretty spectacular, looks fantastic (y)

16 shots in portrait mode because they were hand held.

Even more impressed (y) I also second the comment about your gallery. Do you use an action to create those frames ?

Ray

fantastic image. Very very cool indeed

Thanks Ray.
I have a few actions for frames but in this case I just increased the canvas and stroked a couple of times.
Nothing fancy.

I meant the frames in your galleries - they really add a professional touch. I don't think my framing actions do it this well so would be interested if it's available on the net.

Ray

I meant the frames in your galleries - they really add a professional touch. I don't think my framing actions do it this well so would be interested if it's available on the net.

Ray

Sorry Ray, I see what you mean now.
Most of the frames I did manually.
Some use a script called Mike's Framer , which was free but now costs.
It was a nice simple framer back then but seems to have become a bit OTT now. :shrug:
PBase itself adds a small, bevelled border ( depending on what style you choose for you're gallery ).

What a great shot :)

little over sharp but still great.

Thanks - I've downloaded it as it was only a fiver :)

Cheers

Hi Garnock, thats is a great picture and really inspiring (y)

TFS

Superb!

Great shot(s) and work. I have not been walking the hills much this year but did a rough assembly of 3 hand held shots when up Slioch earlier this year and got this result:
146750172_5729998c09.jpg

I must have a look at this assember thingy as I just have a simple bundled panorama maker which will only work with jpg's.

Similarly to you I used a manual setting to keep the exposure the same throughout.

If you intend to develop this way of working you should have a look at Andy Grey's work. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Glasgow and his approach is the same as yours (many shots/heavy overlap). He goes a little further in post processing with an effect which looks like the picture is part painting, part photo which when you see on a large print is jaw droppingly good.

His site is here

I look forward to seeing more.

Gary

One of the best Panoramic shots I have seen.. Beautiful..(y)

Back