Critique Pansy's i took at cotswold wildlife park

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to the Cotswold wildlife park on Sunday, and took some close up shots of some nice looking pansy's so i thought i would share them with you. As always any comments and crit is welcome and thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to look and comment.

yellow pansy

Yellow pansy
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Blue pansy

Blue pansy

Purple pansy

Purple pansy

Interesting varieties and I like comparing them all "face on." I think the bright background might be throwing the exposure out a little on the last two. I think you might be able to increase this by half a stop in post.

Last edited:
Nice flowers again Mandy. Keep them coming. Most enjoyable.

I think the bright background might be throwing the exposure out a little on the last two. I think you might be able to increase this by half a stop in post.

I agree that the light levels could be changed, but I wouldn't do this as straight exposure alterations. I would be inclined to bring Shadows up in the last one, and bring Exposure up and Highlights down in the second. I'd also look at bringing Highlights down in the first one. None of this might suit you of course Mandy as I know you like more impactful images with higher contrast than I do. :)

Nice flowers again Mandy. Keep them coming. Most enjoyable.

I agree that the light levels could be changed, but I wouldn't do this as straight exposure alterations. I would be inclined to bring Shadows up in the last one, and bring Exposure up and Highlights down in the second. I'd also look at bringing Highlights down in the first one. None of this might suit you of course Mandy as I know you like more impactful images with higher contrast than I do. :)

Thanks for looking and the comments, each image had the same tweaks done to them in Lightroom as I was aiming for consitancy with the look.

Very nice flowers the blue pansy especially has nice colours but agree with Tim that it's a bit dark but as you say that's how you like it:)

Leaving aside the slight exposure problems, the yellow and purple flowers are both a bit past their best. I know we're not supposed to comment on the models but when there are (almost certainly!) a lot to choose from, it pays to select the perfect specimens to show their beauty off to best advantage.

Back