Paradise Wildlife Park (pic heavy)

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Good set that Toby.
Nos 2 or 3 for me.
What did you think of Paradise ?
Ive been once but felt they considered us togs a bit more than others when planning enclosures.

Good set that Toby.
Nos 2 or 3 for me.
What did you think of Paradise ?
Ive been once but felt they considered us togs a bit more than others when planning enclosures.
Thanks. I had mixed feelings about it tbh as some of the enclosures were smaller than I'd have liked. That being said I have been to a couple of other parks that had equally smallish enclosures. Obviously they're a far cry from the 'cages' of yesteryear, but when you see what can be done at the likes of Yorkshire Wildlife Park some are small by comparison.

Viewing wise it was pretty good with the raised platforms, but I did find I was shooting through glass or fencing (as can be seen above) quite a bit.

Overall it was OK though, I think I'm spoiled being close to YWP which has large enclosures offering m unimpeded viewing of pretty much all the animals, plus entry into some of the enclosures.

About what I thought tbh.
YWP is on my list for this year..... as is Colchester and Paignton (2nd visit)

About what I thought tbh.
YWP is on my list for this year..... as is Colchester and Paignton (2nd visit)
I've not been to either of those, Paignton in particular is one hell of a trek for me. Have you been to Howletts? I had a photography experience there a couple of years ago which I really enjoyed.

Howletts? Not yet, Ive seen mixed reviews tbh...
Paignton is coz we are scoping it out as a retirement spot.....
Planning BWC and maybe WHF again as well this year.....

Quick one - what do you use for length I cant recall ?

Howletts? Not yet, Ive seen mixed reviews tbh...
Planning BWC and maybe WHF again as well this year.....

I enjoyed Howletts, and whilst my mind was focussed on other things the enclosures didn't jump out at me as being small or anything.

I assume you mean focal length lens? ;) Tamron 150-600mm Gen 1

There are a few houses that back right onto Paignton Zoo - IIRC, their camels. People can look right through the houses at the sea beyond! Beware of Mifsuds while in Torbay (or enjoy your visit!!!) If you get a chance, visit the Dartmoor Zoological Park down near Plymouth as well, They have a Tiger, a pair of Cheetahs (well, not really a pair, they're both males!) and a Jaguar that you can shoot over a moat. You can generally get a few shots of them with no wire in the background if you're patient. (The Jaguar's gaze as he prowls down the wire towards you makes the hairs on the back of your neck prickle - you just know he's wondering if the leap is a) possible and b) worth the effort!)

For zoos, I've used everything from 8mm up to 800+. Tend to use a pair of bodies with an 18-135 on one and a 100-400 on the other, sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter (1.5x crop bodies.)

Back