Parallels and Windows XP to Windows 7

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
If I try to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 I get told I can't do this and have to install W7 from scratch, losing all my data. This isn't worth the hassle as I have a dedicated Windows machine anyway, but is there a simple way of doing this without losing or having to reinstall everything that I'm missing here?

I guess you could crate a HDD partition and move your data into that, then install Windows 7 on the other partition (erasing XP). That should work, although you would loose all you installed programs. Hopefully someone who is better at computers will be along to confirm/refute that, but in short because Win 7 is so different from xp, i don't think there is what you would call an easy way.

Ignoring the mac aspect... 'windows easy transfer' is something you run on an old computer, it collects all your stuff into a folder on an external drive...then you run it in windows 7 and tell it to restore from the external drive. My new W7 install has all my data from my vista drive now.

Ignoring the mac aspect... 'windows easy transfer' is something you run on an old computer, it collects all your stuff into a folder on an external drive...then you run it in windows 7 and tell it to restore from the external drive. My new W7 install has all my data from my vista drive now.

Is that easy transfer thing within Windows or is it something I have to buy/download?

My opinion is that a fresh install of the OS gives the PC another breath of life ;) It may be a pain making sure you backup everything you need and re-installing, but it doesn't take THAT long...

I re-format usually once a year and notice quite a difference to say the least. That's my 2p's worth anyway (y)

I've only had it on there for four months, 95% of the time I use my Mac anyway, so there's no way I'm going to mess around doing a complete reinstall for something I only use if absolutely necessary. Just thought if there was an easy way of upgrading I may as well do it. If not, I'll stick with XP.

Back