Paris

A super set of images. I really like the reflections, lines and colour in #3 and #4

I'll say L'arc De Triomphe is a little over vignetted but I reckon you already know that.
The whole nonsence of the place is that it's ended up as a roundabout after all and you've rendered the cars next to invisible. The architecture is well known so say something with the shot about context by leaving them "alive" in the picture. The arch huge and still, the cars live and moving, the sky doing it's own thing.
Nice shot all in all but had to say something having lived there as a kid : )
(when there were hardly any cars) !

thanks for the feedback! Its much appreciated. I agree fully with MiniMonty regarding the vignetting in 3, but then its a difficult balancing act getting the influence of the cars right. Picking up on a few points that MiniMonty made, if I was to reshoot this, a much much better approach would have been to use a strong ND filter and a tripod to blur the motion of the cars quite strongly. This would much closer reflect the essence of this strong monument large in the sky against a chaotic roundabout at street level.

Last edited:
Lovely set. Like them a lot. Great composition in all of them. What did you do in post to achieve both effects?
I would also like to see some motion in the cars, but I guess if you didn't have a tripod, that would be difficult. What shutter speed would you have used if you had a tripod do you think? I never get this right. Anybody got any tips on estimating times for motion blur?

I would do some quick guessimates in my head - for example lets say the cars my photo were travelling at 60km's per hour (roughly 40mph), thats 1000 metres per minute, or roughly 16 metres in a second or 1 metre in 1/16 of a second. Closest shutter speed I have is 1/15. Thats probably a reasonable starting point, may need to tweak it depending on how much blur you need and obviously it depends on how fast the cars are moving

lovely pics, mate...wish i can take pictures like that and have the skills in post processing..may i ask what lens did you use?

@M3RCHLZ4 Nikon D90 and if I remember correctly these were taken with a Sigma 10-20mm, except for 2 which I think is my Tamron 17-50 f2.8

@M3RCHLZ4 Nikon D90 and if I remember correctly these were taken with a Sigma 10-20mm, except for 2 which I think is my Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Thanks for the reply....how do you find the sigma 10-20? i'm looking of buying similar lens but am not sure what to get....

Fantastic set pal, I personally think no.2 is great it's got that post apocalyptic everybody's dead kind of feel to it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the reply....how do you find the sigma 10-20? i'm looking of buying similar lens but am not sure what to get....

Its one of my favourite lens, I look the look from ultra wide angle lens - check out my flickr stream for loads more examples.

(Ok yes I guess if you start peeking at individual pixels you might see some flaws, but don't let that worry you)

I would do some quick guessimates in my head - for example lets say the cars my photo were travelling at 60km's per hour (roughly 40mph), thats 1000 metres per minute, or roughly 16 metres in a second or 1 metre in 1/16 of a second. Closest shutter speed I have is 1/15. Thats probably a reasonable starting point, may need to tweak it depending on how much blur you need and obviously it depends on how fast the cars are moving

I wish I could do that sum in my head! I'll try and remember 40mph = 1/15. Thanks.

Its one of my favourite lens, I look the look from ultra wide angle lens - check out my flickr stream for loads more examples.

(Ok yes I guess if you start peeking at individual pixels you might see some flaws, but don't let that worry you)

I too love my Sigma 10-20 although I sometimes wish I could open up the aperture a bit more for interior shots. I found replacing a part in the lens to be a headache. All the repair shops complained of slow deliveries from Sigma. Something to consider perhaps.

Have added you on Flickr, I like your stuff! I also like my Sigma 10-20, but find it almost useless for handheld interior shots. If I can't use a tripod I'm always looking for a place to rest the camera on for self-time shots, and this often compromises composition.

I like #1 & #3

#4 would be better with a more accurate symmetry and some more light in the foreground.

I own one of these 10-20mm and I find it fantastic for dramatic urban landscapes but difficult to use in a more classical way.

Back