Parochial Projects

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Pretty much all my photographs within a short radius of home, usually within walking distance or less than half an hour's drive. One reason is that this enables me to take photographs when I have a short time available, or on the journey to or from somewhere. I still manage to find plenty to get me thinking, which is why I can never understand people who say there's nothing to photograph where they live. Maybe I just look at things differently? Anyway, I have developed a couple of projects which I work on as the mood takes me. If I try to concentrate on them too hard they get stilted. Both projects involve (to my warped mind) an element of humour and a serious side.

The first one I call The Vintage Village. This is an ongoing, open ended, series of views of the area where I live, taken to look as boring as possible (although they are carefully composed) and all cropped to a 5x4 format and given an 'aged' treatment. I'm trying to make pictures that look at a casual glance to be old by their appearance, but on closer examination can't be because there are things like street lights, road markings, wheelie bins, parked cars and so forth in the frame. I'm having a bit of a dig at the nostalgia market with this project - I imagine the pictures being presented in fake aged wooden frames.

These are a few of the ones I think work best. (I'll probably be losing the borders.)

P1060403.jpg

P1040843.jpg

FUJI0411.jpg

DL2_2008.jpg

The second project has an end in sight - Twelve Views of Holy Trinity Church - which I intend turning into a calendar (just for myself) if I ever manage to complete it. Naturally enough the church doesn't feature prominently in any of the pictures and the views are not picturesque! Despite knowing what kind of pictures I need to take this is proving a difficult project. Although I have far more than a dozen photographs I only have four or five so far that are working the way I want them. Making twelve different pictures, without making the obvious ones, is harder than I thought it would be.

While the (one liner) joke is the church being an insignificant feature of the photos the serious point is that the church spire is visible from all around the parish, and beyond, but most of the time we don'[t notice it. In part the project is about how we take our surroundings for granted, how we just don't look at things. Really look.. Noticing the church cropping up in my photos was my starting point, and the 'pastiche' calendar idea came later when I imagined that a church might well produce a calendar of local views to raise funds. It goes without saying that the design of the calendar will be amateurish...

For me photography is all about looking at the world, finding it interesting even when it's mundane. Doing stuff like this keeps me interested and gives me a reason to go out with the camera. It's fun to do, even if it never gets an audience.

hideous.jpg

DJL_0583.jpg

DJL_0631.jpg

DL2_7802.jpg

For me, the Church project stands out so I'll comment on that.

I didn't read your text, just looked at the images and was quite pleased to discover your theme just by looking. #4 is the strongest for me. It has interest, some classic composition, the bin (I like the bin) and obviously the spire. #1 is the second for me and again I wonder if it's because of the foreground detail which makes me look at "something" to start with, then my eye wanders to catch the spire peeking out in the oof background. Most images like this, in bright day would have a high aperture to give full dof, but you chose not to. Why? That makes me think about the image and wonder what the photographer was thinking. Same goes for the choice of bin. (Don't spoil it by telling me :))

#3 is the least strong and that may be due to the size of the image and the fact that I'm not even sure I can spot the spire (just behind that right hand tree?) To use it as part of a "set" I think perhaps it needs to be a little more obvious. That's purely subjective though. I did spend time looking for a shadow of the spire which might make an interesting addition to the collection. My eye was immediately drawn to the big patch of mud and then got a bit lost trying to "find Wally".

#2 is making me think that I tend to like landscapes with defined foreground because I can't see past those posts! The concrete (underpass support?) in the top of the pic is also on an angle which doesn't sit right with me. However I think stepping in front of the posts to cut them both out will make the shot seem much more contrived. So I'm not sure how this could be improved. It's "almost" there for me.

This is a great idea for a project and I look forward to seeing future updates!

Last edited:
Thanks Ian. Your comments have highlighted the difficulty in striking a balance with the prominence of the spire and the rest of the frame - and the scale of the pictures has an impact on that. One thought I have had is to make the church less and less prominent as the calendar progresses through the months. I'll keep plodding away!

I will agree about it being difficult impossible to spot the church in #3

I do enjoy the thought processes behind your projects, though, Ed. Keep 'em coming.

I will agree about it being difficult impossible to spot the church in #3

I do enjoy the thought processes behind your projects, though, Ed. Keep 'em coming.

Ta. I know that not everyone 'gets' my stuff!

It's a bit easier to find the church at a larger size. :)

Ta. I know that not everyone 'gets' my stuff!

It's a bit easier to find the church at a larger size. :)

To be fair only just!

I like both these projects Ed.

I think I relate to the first more. Having spent a lot of time looking through books of victorian photos researching my own projects I can really see these in a faux old book with deathly dull (but fascinating in their way) explanations of what is in the scene. All that's missing from them is some folk going about their lives being on their phones etc with the same treatment.

Thanks Steven. It's always enlightening to see how other people respond to my oddball stuff.

I half imagine the Vintage series as an old photo album (supposedly) discovered in a house clearance or something. I've no pictures of people on their phones, but there's one of a bloody big tractor in the file somewhere. A bit different to a team of horses pulling a plough!

As always your projects are thought provoking. I can't add much more than others have said on the church project but it is good to see someone using the available views. Do I detect a hint of a follow though of the idea in the first photo where the concrete fence post somewhat mimics the spire in the vertical objects in the other photos?

The thing that immediately struck me about the vintage village was the incongruity of the wires and lights in the first photo, I suspect this might be what you intended but I struggle to see beyond it.

As always your projects are thought provoking. I can't add much more than others have said on the church project but it is good to see someone using the available views. Do I detect a hint of a follow though of the idea in the first photo where the concrete fence post somewhat mimics the spire in the vertical objects in the other photos?

Once more someone has seen something in my pictures that I hadn't been aware of. A lot of the time I don't really know why I take photos of things or why I frame them the way I do and only work out what it is I've seen later.

The thing that immediately struck me about the vintage village was the incongruity of the wires and lights in the first photo, I suspect this might be what you intended but I struggle to see beyond it.

That picture with the wires sort of refers to some of the photos in Walker Evans's American Photographs. e.g. https://starofdraco.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/walkerevans_gas.jpg

That picture with the wires sort of refers to some of the photos in Walker Evans's American Photographs.
Actually I quite like that image, I have a few ( not that I took them) of my town, when it was still a village,
as was developing, into a town.
Its a bit of a cross over between old and new (y)

A couple of recent 'vintage' pics - sans borders this time. Still struggling along trying to complete the twelve church pictures though.

_DSC0656.jpg

_DSC0721.jpg

I think I preferred the borders, at least when viewed against the white background on this site. I'm also a little unsure about the presence of the cars since they are noticeable by their absence in the other photos. That said, well done, keep it up.

Ta. Oddly enough now I've posted the pics here I think I prefer the borders too. You might be right about the cars. The other shots do share an empty feeling.

Another church picture that might make the cut.

_DSC0852.jpg

Not sure about this one. The idea is OK but the execution less so.

_7508636.jpg

Down by the boatyard.

DSCN4072.jpg

Another try at one for the church series.

_7501192.jpg

_7501631.jpg

Pretty much all my photographs within a short radius of home, usually within walking distance or less than half an hour's drive. One reason is that this enables me to take photographs when I have a short time available, or on the journey to or from somewhere. I still manage to find plenty to get me thinking, which is why I can never understand people who say there's nothing to photograph where they live. Maybe I just look at things differently? Anyway, I have developed a couple of projects which I work on as the mood takes me. If I try to concentrate on them too hard they get stilted. Both projects involve (to my warped mind) an element of humour and a serious side.

The first one I call The Vintage Village. This is an ongoing, open ended, series of views of the area where I live, taken to look as boring as possible (although they are carefully composed) and all cropped to a 5x4 format and given an 'aged' treatment. I'm trying to make pictures that look at a casual glance to be old by their appearance, but on closer examination can't be because there are things like street lights, road markings, wheelie bins, parked cars and so forth in the frame. I'm having a bit of a dig at the nostalgia market with this project - I imagine the pictures being presented in fake aged wooden frames.

These are a few of the ones I think work best. (I'll probably be losing the borders.)

P1060403.jpg

P1040843.jpg

i also lived somewhere once where there were farms and flat fields..irlam moss near manchester...these remind me of those days...thank you

Not everyone like flatlands, but they're strange places that get in the blood I think.

I've walked past this spot countless times but can't recall noticing the spire before.

_7522033.jpg

A couple of different takes on the church, and one on the vintage theme. One day I might manage to pull one of these projects together.

_7522106.jpg

_7503173.jpg

_7503172.jpg

Some smashing photographs here, which inspire me to venture into sepia/black and white options. I've only just found this thread.
Two pics from Claines, Worcestershire (not my village but nearby). This is the The Church of St. John the Baptist and the 600 year-old pub, 'The Mug House', which is the only pub in England situated in 'consecrated ground' (or so I'm told;))!

P1000027 by Elizabeth McIndoe, on Flickr

P1000028 by Elizabeth McIndoe, on Flickr

I think it's always worthwhile taking photographs of your own locality. Even snaps will, in time, show how things change over the years. And what changes will often surprise. Things you thought would always be around can disappear almost overnight. Which is why it's good to photograph the things that get overlooked. Pubs and so forth are likely to be documented (as happened when one in the next village to me was demolished) but less prominent places might not be.

My faded conversions are just a bot of fun, but I still have the original files for documentary purposes.

I think it's always worthwhile taking photographs of your own locality. Even snaps will, in time, show how things change over the years. And what changes will often surprise. Things you thought would always be around can disappear almost overnight. Which is why it's good to photograph the things that get overlooked. Pubs and so forth are likely to be documented (as happened when one in the next village to me was demolished) but less prominent places might not be.

My faded conversions are just a bot of fun, but I still have the original files for documentary purposes.

Isn't that the truth, I've had a shot in mind for a project for ages; the buggers demolished the 60's shopping centre yesterday, I wanted it in a shot to contrast with the 1900's architecture next to it and the 60's housings towering behind it.

I know what you mean. Too many times I've delayed photographing something because 'it'll be there next week'. But it hasn't been.

I've made a lot of attempts at framing the church from the wood but I think this one is the best so far.

_7504194.jpg

Back