Beginner Party photos in a bar

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi sorry if this has been asked before I am going to be taking photos of my friends birthday party at a bar with quite low light (informal photos of friends maybe some
Portraits). I only have a 18mm-55mm lens would I get a low enough aperature to take some good photos with my pop up flash. Should I buy an add on flash - unfortunately I can't afford a 1.8 50mm aperture lens before the party - I assume this would be the best lens. Any suggestions on which camera settings I could use would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Hi

What camera body do you have?

Re a flash yes it would help but you need to use bounce flash as opposed to direct flash.

Hi I have a Nikon ds3300 thanks I will look at getting a flash - I will research bounce flash thanks

A second hand f/1.8 lens will probably be a similar price to a decent flash.

As above you could get a used Nikon 50mm F1.8G used for about £100, or buy a ttl flash link yn568, yn565, Godox TT685n. There are other cheaper flashes on Amazon but not sure what the quality is like.

If you have a D3300 then rather than a 50mm f/1.8 I'd suggest the 35mm f/1.8 DX would be the lens to look for.

Amazon basics or cheap neewer manual flash with a bounce card or diffuser shouls do the trick. You will be limited to 1/200th SS with flash sync on the D3300, so be aware you may get movement blur in parts of the image lit by the ambient light.

Amazon basics or cheap neewer manual flash with a bounce card or diffuser shouls do the trick. You will be limited to 1/200th SS with flash sync on the D3300, so be aware you may get movement blur in parts of the image lit by the ambient light.
o_O
Highly unlikely to be an issue, the ambient should be underexposed enough to not care about anything not caught by the flash. I shoot as low as 1/4 sec and never consider what movement there might be that's not my subject.

A second hand f/1.8 lens will probably be a similar price to a decent flash.
But a flash will definitely provide more light, a 1.8 lens might still struggle.

I've 1.4 lenses and cameras capable of very clean ISO but sometimes flash is the right tool for the job - photography osn't about 'how much' light but whether that light will work for what you want. And in a party situation, the dance floor is often the only place with any light and that lights only suitable for shooting 'atmospheric' pictures of people dancing.

@Samantha Trigwell
Buy a flash* and read up on 'dragging the shutter' and 'bouncing flash'

None of it's rocket science, it's all easy to practice in your living room.

*it is possible to do this with manual flash, but unless your mental maths is set to 'genius' it's more sensible to buy a fully featured TTL flash to begin with. Godox, Neewer, Yongnuo all produce decent fully featured units for under £100

Back