Passing Airliners OTT of West Lancs

Name
ObiWanKenobi
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
Im a keen aircraft enthusiast and take shots of aircraft at cruising altitude using my astronomical telescope and Pentax K-5/Nikon D7000 DSLRs.
Some commercial airliners and military aircraft passing my garden spotting location in recent months

Emirates Airbus A380 A6-EEM
by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

Air Tahiti F-OJGF
by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

KLM Asia Boeing 747-400 PH-BFP by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

KLM Airlines Boeing 747 PH-BFV by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

Qatar Boeing 777-3DZ A7-BAH by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

Some USAF C-17 Globemaster transports

USAF C-17 95-0107 by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

USAF Boeing C-17 Globemaster III 00-0178. by Mike (Radiostationx), on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Wow, that's some zoom range! What lens combo is that please?

Thanks for sharing

Great captures and lovely and sharp at that height - what is the equivalent focal length of a lens with your telescope ?

The detail is impressive as is your skill at capturing them

Wow, that's some zoom range! What lens combo is that please?

Thanks for sharing
Great captures and lovely and sharp at that height - what is the equivalent focal length of a lens with your telescope ?

Hi @W44NNE, I have 200mm/8inch diameter dobsonian type telescope and 2x Barlow lens.
Its not exactly a portable setup, makes my D7000 (quite a hefty camera) look tiny !
Some gear setup shots.

Hi @andyred, The equivalent in full frame sensor terms would be around 2400mm I think, the scope is 1200mm @ f6 and I use a barlow which gives me 2400mm then my cameras have a cropped sensor D7000 and K5.

Thanks for the comments guys, Yes indeed it is extremely difficult to follow a dot at 15km altitude and get a half decent shot.
I have been using this method for around 18mths or so and it took 6 months before I got anything on the memory card worth posting.
I look back at my early attempts and they are woeful.

Last edited:
Back