Passport Photograph - How Much Photoshopping Is allowed?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to take my own passport photograph. Easy - no shadows, no sunglasses. But I don't have an ideal background. So am I allowed to just chop out the background in Photoshop to produce a perfect white background? I've got some experience with Photoshop and I'm prepared to spend a while cutting out the background.

Easy enough to source a proper BG- although cutting out and replacing in Photoshop could be done in under a minute, easy as pie :)

Les

Rules for digital photos
The quality of your digital photo
Your photo must be:

• clear and in focus
  • in colour
  • unaltered by computer software
  • at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall
  • at least 50KB and no more than 10MB

Thanks. I don't have a suitable wall.

Do it outdoors with nothing near behind you? My first passport photo was done that way

I'm looking for a suitable background for my photo too. All walls at home have at least some texture that comes over in the photo.
The two possibilities to try for me are to suspend an ironed bedsheet like a backdrop, or to paint the inside of my garage door with some left-over paint.

Lightly tape a few large sheets of plain white drawing paper to the wall and stand well away from it (you may need to light the wall). The rules are very strict and there is no wriggle room. My first attempt was bounced for a couple of wisps of hair in the wrong place which got interpreted as shadows. Shoot in jpeg and do not process.

Idea: Hang a sheet from an indoor clothes drying rack, and take the photo whilst sitting down.

If he doesn’t have any light coloured wall he probably only has black sheets :)
That's nothing, I had to change the velvet lining in my coffin from red to cream to do mine! ~~^..^~~

Trying to take a selfie in the mirror was a waste of time too!

;)

Last edited:
Back