Passport photograph lighting.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just thought I'd see if people might be interested on how I light this type of shot.

Two speed lights set at about half power (may vary on some flashes) and diffused via two elinchrom umbrellas. One over head one under chin. ISO 200, F8 or 9 ish and 1/125th. Keep focal length past 50mm on FF (35mm on APS-c) to ensure no wide distortions of facial features. (y)

Sam Passport camera set up by ChurchillPhoto, on Flickr

And the result.

Sam's passport picture by ChurchillPhoto, on Flickr

looking at the light in the brollies I take it the top one is stop higher than the other

looking at the light in the brollies I take it the top one is stop higher than the other

It was just having a funny 5 seconds, during the actual shot I moved over to SU-4 fireing as the trigger was playing up. It often does, I don't rate the Hahnel Combi TF :shake:

But that said depending of face shape you may wish to have one brighter than the other in small steps for an even light. (y)

Would this not work with a reflector at low level and just use the top light?

For a general portrait yes, but the light is better controlled by having two light sources for an even shadowless image as required by passport control.

I prefer two light portraits, don't forget it's subjective so I'm not saying that's the best way, just one I enjoy. It's what I like not whats right for each of us (y)

Here's a a test shot I took for testing the Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2

Marz Bar Flügel drink launch (40) by ChurchillPhoto, on Flickr

This was Left & Right just above head height similar power, but higher shutter speed to eliminate all ambient as there is no background.

the light is better controlled by having two light sources for an even shadowless image as required by passport control.

I didn't even know passport control required this, so how do they get it from a photo booth in Tescos.

I didn't even know passport control required this, so how do they get it from a photo booth in Tescos.

Probably one flash right in front of your face. If you get it done at the Post Office it's usually just built in flash on the camera - does the job, and no need to fiddle it for different people who may be taller, shorter, etc.

They don't have a 100% acceptance rate much the same a Jessops and Jacobs who used no flash at all. This is simply a guaranteed acceptance process.

Probably one flash right in front of your face. If you get it done at the Post Office it's usually just built in flash on the camera - does the job, and no need to fiddle it for different people who may be taller, shorter, etc.

Correct. Guys this is not a, you must do it this way and all others are wrong. It's a way.

thanks for the setup - Have to do the same with my 'new' wife also :D

This is classic clamshell lighting, which works very well, especially for beauty shots.
It also shows every detail, including blemishes in the skin etc, which is fine if the model has flawless skin, otherwise, it can be a bit of a mess.
Of course the passport agency wants to see blemishes etc, as a true likeness, so I guess that's why it is acceptable.
Nicely done.

Back