Passport pictures

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am sure this has come up somewhere but I have just been asked by a friend who wants to do his ow passport pictures, which he tells me is now allowed for online renewals, whether there is a quick and easy grey or cream background available?

New one on me as the Photo Me machines were adequate for my needs.

Any thoughts?

Steve

I did my dads!
He’s severely disabled so it was easier to prop him up on his bed at home!
Just a white wall behind which I enhanced in editing!
Went through no problem!

Couple of years ago now but I did my family, two adults, two kids, all the same, processed the same, two went through and two were rejected. I guess it depends on how pedantic the person checking the photos is.

Must take a look at the Passport Office website. Now I am intrigued.

Did my renewal a few months ago. Online forms were very easy.

The photo upload was a bit of a pain. I had 7 goes until it was finally accepted. I had too dark, not enough light, too much space above, shadows and a few other bits.

Got there in the end

I’ve done quite a few for family and friends. White wall, even lighting, standing far enough away from the wall to cast no shadow.

I've never heard of being able to upload a passport photo online. I've only gone to a photo place and gotten someone to take my picture for me, for both my Canadian and American passports. (As I was born in America, I hold dual citizenship and have done photos for both passports)

We did ours using our phones with a cream background. Accepted fine.

Did mine yesterday, cream plain wall, good light through the window and a little extra from the ceiling light.

Mrs took my mug shot using my iPhone. You have to ensure no shadows and whilst I tried there was a light shadow visible but a quick re-position of the phone ensured that fell out of the camera's view.

Process was very straightforward and clear instructions.

All in all I was very impressed

I did mine at one of those booths, £5 and several 'attempts' to choose from. Best passport pic I have had in years! Last time got them done at some "photographers" place, absolute rubbish!

I done my own photo yesterday, I had a slight shadow behind my ears and cheeks, A little light PP and all was gone, Do they use anything to detect PP work as I know it said No enhancements to be done. Does anyone here know?
If it fails I`ll just do it again but this shadows is cursing me.

My current passport photo is a selfie and I did one for my wife earlier this year too. No problem getting either through.

Last edited:
I did passport photos for my wife and daughter a couple of months ago using a speedlight into a brolly for lighting. I shot everyone against a white wall - as long as the subject is a few feet in front, the background goes grey. Even though they say no PP, I did make a few adjustments in Lightroom. They all went through no problems

I done my own photo too, not the best i might add but hey ho.
Received the new passport back and I cant see how it passed their QA, I look like iv`e been under a UV lamp for a few days and you can see that they have resized the photo and its a little pixaly.
I complained but all they can say is, well it passed our QA so all ok, no replacement unless I pay..f*** that :dummy:I guess I can live with a redish face for 10 years......lol

I have never done this. But I have been in Max Spielman for instant prints and seen folk walk in and have theres done. They just stand them up against a piller which is just the width of a person. They are maybe about 10 ft from the windows "Facing". No messing done in under 30 seconds.

Gaz

I have collapsible backgrounds and whatnot but for mine just sat 2 metres in front of a plain white wall and aimed off-camera speedlights into corners behind camera for flat lighting. I took the rules to refer to retouching, which of course I did not do. However, all images are "processed" according to decisions we make, even straight from camera, so I shot raw (as always), converted to TIFF, and adjusted levels. Sent as a JPEG, accepted, no problems at all.

Poor sods are probably inundated with invalid pictures from the vane and ignorant, if dealing with ID applications at work is any indication. Headphones, sunglasses, pimp hats, scarves, fascinators, and every other non-prescriptive headwear imaginable; head indistinguishable from cluttered or dark background; stood right under a spot so everything burned out except face lost in deep shadow; facing away; chunk of head cut off (if only); black & white (poorly done too, but that's just personally irritating); hammered at a party; at a beach in swimwear (possibly flirting, but no thanks, I fear our children will inherit your defective brain gene); wearing a life jacket (are our health & safety precautions inadequate?), fully made up in wedding dress with tiara and bouquet (yes, lovely, but we can't recognise you any better than your betrothed could on the day); neck-deep in a swimming pool; picture less than 100 pixels a side (how was that easier???); photo of a previous and already crappy ID, taken with a phone (casting half in shadow), at an angle, and out of focus. Because absolutely anything is preferable to just performing the simple task asked of you, isn't it?? Seriously, people know what this is for, right?!? We all just want to get on with our lives, don't we?? No! The doors stay locked! And who has the keys hmm?? Right! What?! Ooh, listen to the sudden safety expert. Sit back down! I'll decide when the "fire's getting out of control".
Uh
Sorry.
I'm...
just going for a walk...

you have a lot of advice here
i got mine taken at the photo booth in the local post office and went to put in the shots and paperwork to use the express service
the photo failed...not for any reason than the parameters marks

i then went to costco where they do passport photos on a passport camera...it has a template to set you inside the correct parameters...
do check with the passport office and make sure your shot is ok for those constraints

photographically speaking the shots were sufficient but passport wise...spot on

https://www.persofoto.com/upload/passport-photo

online template

Last edited:
Since replying earlier to this thread. I found out my passport would run out the day after we arrive back from Bali. So I decided to get a new passport straight away so I took my own photo uploaded it and drove down to Liverpool to pick the new passport up. All went well no problems at all. Photo taken against cream lounge wall on tripod selfie style bay window facing me.

Gaz

Jeez your a tight bunch on here..selfies with a phone etc..why not visit your local Professional photographers studio and have it done Professionally....:D

Back