Pay and display photography

But if the hide wasn't there would there be a pool?
Was the pool created by the hide owner or is it a natural pool?
Not trying to be a twit here Mark but trying to establish the differences in beliefs being expressed here.

Built by Bence. If you look at where i mentioned it you will see i was very particular about my words in that i mentioned the word " food". Im open for discussion Gramps as if someone puts a telling case forward for live baiting then i may change my mind but as yet that hasnt come across in this thread yet.

Okay Mark, just that I personally don't see much difference between 'food' or 'drink' in attracting wildlife by an 'unnatural' means ... live baiting is of course a different issue :)

I have in the main visited RSPB, wildlife trust etc places to get photos of varying wildlife that visit, I am a member of the RSPB and wildlife trust also so in that sense I pay to photograph wildlife,I have recently paid to use an hide too with some degree of success but no great shakes. As I often tell my photography buddies, I prefer the challenge of going out and looking for animals/birds to photograph, but I'm not against the paid hide photographers or people who take photos of captive animals, as long as they say how they got the shot, paid hide/captive or otherwise and at the end of the day its each to there own.

There seem to be several views on pay and display. I have heard a number of folk say they "wouldn't pay that to photograph an osprey" for example. That to me says that they would pay if they considered the price to be reasonable. Others will not pay full stop. Some don't like live baiting. Some think the only way to take photographs of wildlife is to walk about with a camera and hope you come across something, and sometimes it works.

How many would pay someone to take them to a spot where they could photograph barn owls, for example, hunting. Is this any different from paying to use a hide?

One argument against baited sites is that they change the birds behaviour. Is it true, I don't know, and I bet the great majority of those that use that argument don't know either. You could argue that sitting in the open in a wood clearing where a fox or badger has been seen is forcing the animal to alter its behaviour as, although it tolerates you, it is still aware that you could pose a threat to it and it's behaviour changes as a result.

I have seen people chasing otters to try and get photographs of them, running along banks and forcing the otters to flee from areas that they normally frequent. To me that is way worse that any pay and display hide.

Gaz interesting thread,this is something I've been musing a little while since the recent kingfisher debate. I'm new to this togging lark but have hung about wildlife in blighty for years,you have actually outlined one of my questions in the post above,I'll do my point of view in a mo,but the questions first.

Is there any scientific base, any scientific studies ie papers that says feeding predators/raptors is or can be harmful?

It's much bandied about that by feeding predators has the potential to disrupt their natural behaviours and become reliant on us providing food,but I'm really curious as to whether this is purely a point of view or whether it has grounding in HARD scientific fact? I'm very confused here I don't really know how to differentiate between helping the garden birds being a good thing and suddenly if it's a raptor it becomes frowned upon so an actual paper being linked would add some clarity as to why and how this point of view arises. I'll go further with a couple of examples. Let's start with the red kite,I'm lead to believe in the old days when kites were numerous in blightly they were to be seen scavaging rubbish tips in number,it almost seems to me that they now do what previous generations did way back,sure now maybe we bung food at them in the past they found our rubbish,but it seems that almost symbiotic relationship betwixt man and kite as been resumed. I for my sins have to work every now and again in the chilterns in a town that has a cafe that feeds kites,but the kites are just checking out every house even the building site for food,they seem to have naturally gone back to what they used to do,previous to their numbers being in deathly decline.

I know of some barn owls,the farmer watches their back a bit bungs some mice out if times are hard,puts up owl boxes,leaves areas of long grass,the owls are doing all right probably better than the big picture displayed across their population here. So if any of these above tactics are used to gain a better pic and if no actual cold hard fact study is backing the concerns we all muse,because we all care about the well being of said birds(taken as given),then why does it matter if someones work means he can charge a tog to stop by and hopefully get some snaps?

Gaz I know i've drifted a bit from topic,but it's all interlinked for me as is my next big question. Do we photographers really think Joe public asks the question was this taken in a hide was it baited was it paid for when he or she sees a spell binding image? I guess I'll outline my thoughts on this as someone who is slowly trying to cross over from being Joe public, to being a wildlife photographer but I'd welcome all to air their views and answer this one,i'm interested in what you all think. Personally I think togs are deluded in thinking joe public cares for the most part),I think this is something we hold dear not the viewer so much . There is a caviat though the public cares if any form of cruelty might be involved in getting the image. Togs need disclosure it's for us I feel it means something to us . When money becomes involved both in the value of a picture and the more fortunate tog being able to get to hot spots paid hides passion arises and I think this has lead to where we are now.

Gary I have no problem with someone paying to use a hide. I have no problem with that hide being baited i'm unsure on how one differentiates between one life form and another if that bait is live and struggle with live bait anyway full stop. If someone grafts hard and has little time and can afford to use a paid hide ,good for them,my one caviat is that due care is given for the subjects well being and as already outlined I'd love some hard core science to come forth behind the points of view I so oft see expressed

I am in an unusual position I suppose,I can go not so far and take pics of deer from a baited hide,I can also take pics of the same population on land where we have permission,for me personally the two are chalk and cheese. The hide images being somewhat hollow,but by and large they are easier and as someone learning,they are often of a higher quality than the wild pics. I think we togs are passionate and need to judge an image by more than the image it's self ie we take into account how that pic was actually made. I read a landscape thread recently very thought provoking. a debate over should an image that was preplanned, waited for, tried for on several attempts, be judged,(maybe prized) more highly than an image someone just stopped a car and nabbed the shot.

It might seem that this last bit is miles away from pay to shoot in a hide ,but for me at least at this stage in my learning not so much,as far as I can see. Togs naturally take in to account the expertise and conditions that made the image possible,they take pictures too it's natural to want to evaluate everything. To me how the image has been made is fundamental to the opinions expressed over paid for hides I have clear feelings on what I want to try and achieve,that is taking pictures of wild animals in the wild that I have learnt about and got close to, I guess the hard way,but have no wish to judge or bare no ill will to someone else who wants something different. I'm actually now in the position where I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark I see nowt wrong with someone getting out to shoot at least something by paying for it,I really can see why they might want to !!!!! I also feel that there might be huge scope to learn at such a place and be guided by the more experienced individual whom made the hide happen . This will never be clear cut for me Gaz,so many areas of grey,but I feel it would be good for photography as a whole if folks were a bit more openminded,as long as the beastie of desire isn't harmed.

take care all

Stu

For me it comes down to honesty - if the photographer is open about the when/where/how the photograph was taken then that is fine. Take the kingfisher shot, no mention at all of the methods used to capture the shot (in any press I saw). I am sure most of the general public wouldn't be overly bothered, but if they had seen the same shot that included the fish tank, the fish all huddled in a corner, and the perch right over the top, I am sure the reaction wouldn't have been so over the top. In fact I would say there might have been some negative press about the use of live bait.

Non-live baiting I have no problem with - whats the difference between putting bird feeders out in your gardens and the red kite feeding at Gigrin farm (for instance) - not a lot.

The problem I have with live bait is that you are putting another living thing out there to be killed, for the sake of a photo. In the wild, the fish has a chance for escape; in a tank, it is just waiting for the inevitable.

Does baiting change the behavior of an animal? I am not sure. All animals are after an easy supply of food. Seagulls follow trawlers (not in the Cantona way!) - do we worry about that behavior? My only concern is where baiting brings animals into direct conflict with man.

Going back to the original question... pay and display photography is here to stay whether I like it or not. Like most people with a big camera, I have a job and family, so havent the time I would like to go out and find the animals in the wild. So if I can take a shortcut to the photograph by using a hide to capture a bird or visiting Richmond Park for the deer, then that is great. For me. My photos will never be as 'good' as the person who spent a lot of time stalking red deer in Scotland (for example) but I can live with that. And I'll always be honest about my photos.

Stephen

if they had seen the same shot that included the fish tank, the fish all huddled in a corner, and the perch right over the top, I am sure the reaction wouldn't have been so over the top. In fact I would say there might have been some negative press about the use of live bait.

To be fair, these images were not taken using that method ... Alan confirmed that was how he originally did it but no longer does so and hasn't for some time apparently :)

To be fair, these images were not taken using that method ... Alan confirmed that was how he originally did it but no longer does so and hasn't for some time apparently :)

Gramps, so how were they taken? Alan never at any time stated how he did take the pics, all he said was it wasnt like that any more. Would be good to see how different it a acually is now!

Last edited:
Gaz interesting thread,this is something I've been musing a little while since the recent kingfisher debate. I'm new to this togging lark but have hung about wildlife in blighty for years,you have actually outlined one of my questions in the post above,I'll do my point of view in a mo,but the questions first.

Is there any scientific base, any scientific studies ie papers that says feeding predators/raptors is or can be harmful?

It's much bandied about that by feeding predators has the potential to disrupt their natural behaviours and become reliant on us providing food,but I'm really curious as to whether this is purely a point of view or whether it has grounding in HARD scientific fact? I'm very confused here I don't really know how to differentiate between helping the garden birds being a good thing and suddenly if it's a raptor it becomes frowned upon so an actual paper being linked would add some clarity as to why and how this point of view arises. I'll go further with a couple of examples. Let's start with the red kite,I'm lead to believe in the old days when kites were numerous in blightly they were to be seen scavaging rubbish tips in number,it almost seems to me that they now do what previous generations did way back,sure now maybe we bung food at them in the past they found our rubbish,but it seems that almost symbiotic relationship betwixt man and kite as been resumed. I for my sins have to work every now and again in the chilterns in a town that has a cafe that feeds kites,but the kites are just checking out every house even the building site for food,they seem to have naturally gone back to what they used to do,previous to their numbers being in deathly decline.

I know of some barn owls,the farmer watches their back a bit bungs some mice out if times are hard,puts up owl boxes,leaves areas of long grass,the owls are doing all right probably better than the big picture displayed across their population here. So if any of these above tactics are used to gain a better pic and if no actual cold hard fact study is backing the concerns we all muse,because we all care about the well being of said birds(taken as given),then why does it matter if someones work means he can charge a tog to stop by and hopefully get some snaps?

Gaz I know i've drifted a bit from topic,but it's all interlinked for me as is my next big question. Do we photographers really think Joe public asks the question was this taken in a hide was it baited was it paid for when he or she sees a spell binding image? I guess I'll outline my thoughts on this as someone who is slowly trying to cross over from being Joe public, to being a wildlife photographer but I'd welcome all to air their views and answer this one,i'm interested in what you all think. Personally I think togs are deluded in thinking joe public cares for the most part),I think this is something we hold dear not the viewer so much . There is a caviat though the public cares if any form of cruelty might be involved in getting the image. Togs need disclosure it's for us I feel it means something to us . When money becomes involved both in the value of a picture and the more fortunate tog being able to get to hot spots paid hides passion arises and I think this has lead to where we are now.

Gary I have no problem with someone paying to use a hide. I have no problem with that hide being baited i'm unsure on how one differentiates between one life form and another if that bait is live and struggle with live bait anyway full stop. If someone grafts hard and has little time and can afford to use a paid hide ,good for them,my one caviat is that due care is given for the subjects well being and as already outlined I'd love some hard core science to come forth behind the points of view I so oft see expressed

I am in an unusual position I suppose,I can go not so far and take pics of deer from a baited hide,I can also take pics of the same population on land where we have permission,for me personally the two are chalk and cheese. The hide images being somewhat hollow,but by and large they are easier and as someone learning,they are often of a higher quality than the wild pics. I think we togs are passionate and need to judge an image by more than the image it's self ie we take into account how that pic was actually made. I read a landscape thread recently very thought provoking. a debate over should an image that was preplanned, waited for, tried for on several attempts, be judged,(maybe prized) more highly than an image someone just stopped a car and nabbed the shot.

It might seem that this last bit is miles away from pay to shoot in a hide ,but for me at least at this stage in my learning not so much,as far as I can see. Togs naturally take in to account the expertise and conditions that made the image possible,they take pictures too it's natural to want to evaluate everything. To me how the image has been made is fundamental to the opinions expressed over paid for hides I have clear feelings on what I want to try and achieve,that is taking pictures of wild animals in the wild that I have learnt about and got close to, I guess the hard way,but have no wish to judge or bare no ill will to someone else who wants something different. I'm actually now in the position where I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark I see nowt wrong with someone getting out to shoot at least something by paying for it,I really can see why they might want to !!!!! I also feel that there might be huge scope to learn at such a place and be guided by the more experienced individual whom made the hide happen . This will never be clear cut for me Gaz,so many areas of grey,but I feel it would be good for photography as a whole if folks were a bit more openminded,as long as the beastie of desire isn't harmed.

take care all

Stu
Some good points and observation's there Stuart ,me i get more pleasure getting my own unique shots rather than one that every one else as got, but it wouldn't stop me going to a paid hide but then again i don't usually have to pay full whack as i do a exchange for little owl shots ,i think one of the issues is when someone puts a image up and is craving that wow ,great shot etc without disclosing how the shot was achieved even though nine times out of ten its obvious ,when i get members coming to my site i lay the rules down and if any of the owls behave any differently in the first hour then we leave the site ,you see i don't charge so i can do that ,my birds come first simple as that as i always depend on the birds (especially in breeding season ) to come in naturally which they do if i am there or not ,the only thing i do is move perches round that i see them using regular by watching them ,i also witnessed some unbelievable events at Gilfach farm were so called long lens wildlife photographers were abusing a set up were the redstarts were being baited with live mealworms it was that bad the owner stopped it, i have witnessed guys chasing short eared owls round a field ,others hiding in barns were barn owls wee feeding young ,no idea at all but they were carrying circa £15k of equipment ,bloody clueless some of them...trophy hunters they are

Gramps, so how were they taken? Alan never at any time stated how he did take the pics, all he said was it wasnt like that any more. Would be good to see how different it a acually is now!

You would need to ask him Mark, all I am doing is re-stating his confirmation that he had not used that method for a long time.
The news report stated that they were taken at a lake IIRC, where he had spent time preparing an area for Kingfishers ... I assume he used small fish in a submerged container of some sort for bait but that is purely conjecture on my part as I was not present when they were taken, (nor indeed have I been at any other time). :)

Ok not read all the posts but I can't see much difference between using a hide set up near a feeding station and putting out a bird table in the back garden. both are done to attract birds to make it easier to photograph them, only difference is the birds they attract

Last edited:
Some good points and observation's there Stuart ,me i get more pleasure getting my own unique shots rather than one that every one else as got, but it wouldn't stop me going to a paid hide but then again i don't usually have to pay full whack as i do a exchange for little owl shots ,i think one of the issues is when someone puts a image up and is craving that wow ,great shot etc without disclosing how the shot was achieved even though nine times out of ten its obvious ,when i get members coming to my site i lay the rules down and if any of the owls behave any differently in the first hour then we leave the site ,you see i don't charge so i can do that ,my birds come first simple as that as i always depend on the birds (especially in breeding season ) to come in naturally which they do if i am there or not ,the only thing i do is move perches round that i see them using regular by watching them ,i also witnessed some unbelievable events at Gilfach farm were so called long lens wildlife photographers were abusing a set up were the redstarts were being baited with live mealworms it was that bad the owner stopped it, i have witnessed guys chasing short eared owls round a field ,others hiding in barns were barn owls wee feeding young ,no idea at all but they were carrying circa £15k of equipment ,bloody clueless some of them...trophy hunters they are

Being new Den,i've never really come across congregations of photographers(oh call me Stu buddy,I normally get called Stuart when i'm in the doghouse:)). But last year the SEO's we found at two sites one known was an eye opener. Den at the time I first saw this line of togs on a concentration of owls I was very concerned. I worried for the owls well fare. to the layman I am the owls were concentrated basically because of lack of habitat,it seems that maybe this is in part true but SEO's seem to like to winter in groups.I didn't get the camera out at first,but it was soon evident that the owls were little bothered. I've become aware of a few stories, since that time:it's somewhat alarming to me that somebody would try to charge £190 per day and have no contact with the actual farmer , this came from a lady that lives next to the farm. Maybe a certain type of tog whom has done well financially carries a sort of arrogance into the field Den . For most of us this type of gear is all but out of reach we can but dream of a 1dX and mark ii superteles or the equivalent in other marques. A section of us will make sacrifices and save and scrape for gear but I just wonder how much there is a correlation with that richer guy who just goes and buys the best and expects to get the best with it. But doesn't measure the beasties well fare like most of us would or the respect due to a landowner,that is actually responsible for creating a habitat where those beasties are found. Den there is a section of our society that say something and folks jump get their own way are arrogant and I'm "pretty sure" that is the guy that you refer to. Den my views might change as I learn more they are not fixed and in no way am I saying that there aren't some guys out there whom carry the best and have only the wellfare of the beasties foremost on their minds.

Den I've never thought you had other than the birds wellfare at heart I ain't the sharpest tool in the box mate but that is seriously evident. I still have that unanswered question though, and want some cold hard fact backed by science as to the feeding of raptors or predators to the opinion I so oft see expressed. It's utterly natural for folks that love wildlife to want to help them along a bit in these hard times created largely by us,not just togs and I struggle to differentiate betwixt the differences,hence am questing for fact based in science.

Again I feel disclosure is important to us togs and less so to joe public.You more experienced guys will see through what I possibly wouldn't, I can see why folks want the shot Den,but the beastie just have to come first

take care

Stu

Apart from a couple of visits to Gigrin and being a member of the RSPB ,I can quiet honestly state I have never paid to photograph any birds or wildlife ( zoo visits not included) and having to pay some of the sums bandied about is a definite no no on my meagre pension .my main benefit is I live in a good area ,the Dee estuary and north wales also the Wirral are all on my doorstep within minutes ,the only baiting done is a bag full of mixed seeds ,mealworms ,and peanuts in my pocket,but this is usually left as a thank you to the birds after a good session ,not as a inducement to come to me .
At least these days I have the tine available to pick and choose my where and when and gauge the weather conditions by simply opening the curtains and looking out ,from my hilltop retreat I can see about 25 miles in 3 directions ,pretty sure pitvar has been here so he will know as well .but giving the constraints of working I cannot condemn anyone for paying somewhere down the line in benefits the wildlife

I have no issue with the concept of these and I'd consider it myself if the situation was right. There's clearly a challenge in using them but still delivering a fresh take on the subject rather than just repeating the photos of those who have come before. So my approach to hides and workshops is as much to use them as an opportunity to learn about field-craft and practicalities as it is about the photographs I take home that day.

How I view other photographers using them depends on how much of the photographer's repertoire is based on using them. If it's somebody I know has clearly demonstrated an ability to develop their own opportunities in to great photos, then I'm not going to give it a second thought if they decide to use these on occasion. If on the other hand if it is somebody who only ever posts photos from hides and workshops, then I'll view them as 'weekend hobbyist' - somebody who is having fun shooting and might share some good photos, but not somebody I'm going to pay a lot of attention to.

Ethically, each hide needs to be judged on its own merits against three issues; it is detrimental to the subject (eg. causing dependency or increasing risk of collisions with cars, etc), it is detrimental to the species or the environment as a whole (eg. encouraging conflict with people or causing pollution), and is it cruel to the bait (so I’ll do live mealworms but not live mice).

Reactions: den
By this statement- "If on the other hand if it is somebody who only ever posts photos from hides and workshops, then I'll view them as 'weekend hobbyist' - somebody who is having fun shooting and might share some good photos, but not somebody I'm going to pay a lot of attention to". I would say you would alienate 99.5% of the people posting in the bird section.but im sure you would expect some of these people to respond to images you post on the site. I havent looked at your images but would ask- where are you- a weekend hobbiest or the few others referred to? Genuine question as im on the iphone and cant look myself till later.

Honestly: I'd like to be in the one percent of wildlife photographers and it's where I aim to be, but if you were to call me a 'weekend hobbyist' I wouldn't be offended nor suddenly able to reel off a list of accomplished that would refute it. It wasn't intended as a level of criticism to the point of "why do they bother?" any more than it would be to remind most Sunday league footballer's they're not Messi. Everyone should carrying on taking the photos they enjoy doing, sharing them on the internet and I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing many if them. It's just a recognition that people who exclusively use hides or workshops are less likely to suddenly reveal a ground breaking collection of images or share some indepth and useful fieldcraft knowledge, and as such I'm less likely to make a mental note to seek them out periodically.

Last edited:
I must admit to finding this thread slightly amusing. On one hand we have people who pay to go in hides. On the other hand we have people who say they wouldn't pay to go and photograph a species but are quite happy to pay the wildlife trust for membership or the RSPB now unless those people have helped to set up the wetlands or help to maintain the moorland aren't they actually paying someone else to let them get their shots on a lesser scale.
The same could be said about feeding birds in the garden did you make your own seed fat balls etc or did you buy them again someone else is having imput into your images. It's been mentioned about short eared owl in many cases a farmer has been paid to put aside his ground and not grow crops on it if the farmer wasn't paid you wouldnt be getting your images because he would be farming it and in reality that's where some of your tax money goes.
The simple answer is to enjoy your photography and remember the subject comes first this isn't a pop at anybody but just a simple observation. I am quite happy to pay to use a Hide if it is a rarer species as it is probably in the interests of said species because they will have got use to the Hide and it is probably better than putting other members of that species under duress who are so not used to having hides suddenly pop and having people around.

Is baiting a species wrong or does it help them. Firstly if we want to help nature the best way would be to remove mankind completely. Subsidising a species food in winter helps more of them to survive. You only want to put out a small amount as you do not want something to become dependant on you. Using live bait other than meal worms maggots and the like is a no no for me. Fish in a tank is border line for me and still something I am debating on the ethics if i caught the fish would that be different from buying them. I would not use mice etc no.
Fish aren't cuddly are they.:(
But I am against the use of glass tanks as king fishers can injure themselves as glass can not be seen when it's underwater.
Anyway :exit:im going before I upset someone
Rich

Last edited:
No one here is trying to upset anyone Rich. All views are worth listening to and when you start to delve deeper into it then the comments you made become valid.

You can spend pence to attract a bird and then you can spend hundreds, it's the photographers choice. I don't think that helping any animal or bird out with a bit of extra food is a bad thing, it's what all the trusts etc have been set up to do. Either to protect habitat with the positive effects on wildlife or increasing numbers of threatened species.

I've spent quite a lot of money to photograph Ospreys between 1012 and 2014. That was my choice as I wanted to photograph them and, short of going to Florida, I wasn't going to be able to do it from the banks of a river or loch without these places. I may do so again.

There are several photographers on here who put a huge amount of effort into getting shots of birds etc and credit to them for their persistence and skill. For some these are long term projects. But many, and I'm talking about photographers that I know outside this forum as well, will manipulate the environment to give variety and some different viewpoints. Whether it is cutting back vegetation, adding additional perches it's still manipulation and could be argued that it's not "wild". Personally I would do the same if I had the opportunity so am in no way criticising them.

There are so many aspects that make up what is acceptable or not. I don't care if photographers state if they've paid or not to go to a hide.

Is pay and display any different in terms of effort than someone who picks people's brains on the best places to go in an area to save them the trouble of travelling around and doing research. You could argue that it's not. I know photographers that do exactly this but never return the favour. I have several friends who pass on bits of info to me about what they've seen and where and I do likewise. I also do my own research and make efforts to find wildlife but, because I work, I don't have the time I would like to spend doing it.

Remember, wherever you go, paid or unpaid you still have to get the goods and whilst a hide might get you closer and give you more chance you, as the photographer, can still fail dismally. I know, I am that photographer.

Last edited:
No one here is trying to upset anyone Rich. All views are worth listening to and when you start to delve deeper into it then the comments you made become valid.

You can spend pence to attract a bird and then you can spend hundreds, it's the photographers choice. I don't think that helping any animal or bird out with a bit of extra food is a bad thing, it's what all the trusts etc have been set up to do. Either to protect habitat with the positive effects on wildlife or increasing numbers of threatened species.

I've spent quite a lot of money to photograph Ospreys between 1012 and 2014. That was my choice as I wanted to photograph them and, short of going to Florida, I wasn't going to be able to do it from the banks of a river or loch without these places. I may do so again.

There are several photographers on here who put a huge amount of effort into getting shots of birds etc and credit to them for their persistence and skill. For some these are long term projects. But many, and I'm talking about photographers that I know outside this forum as well, will manipulate the environment to give variety and some different viewpoints. Whether it is cutting back vegetation, adding additional perches it's still manipulation and could be argued that it's not "wild". Personally I would do the same if I had the opportunity so am in no way criticising them.

There are so many aspects that make up what is acceptable or not. I don't care if photographers state if they've paid or not to go to a hide.

Is pay and display any different in terms of effort than someone who picks people's brains on the best places to go in an area to save them the trouble of travelling around and doing research. You could argue that it's not. I know photographers that do exactly this but never return the favour. I have several friends who pass on bits of info to me about what they've seen and where and I do likewise. I also do my own research and make efforts to find wildlife but, because I work, I don't have the time I would like to spend doing it.

Remember, wherever you go, paid or unpaid you still have to get the goods and whilst a hide might get you closer and give you more chance you, as the photographer, can still fail dismally. I know, I am that photographer.

Hi Gaz
These days I find a lot of these debates people just don't stop and think before replying. By this I mean they never look below the surface and at the subject in depth I am lucky to have a couple of hides where members of the local camera club come to get experience I don't charge but always tell them the first visit is free but bring something for the birds on their second visit. I don't mind helping people setting up to get images of small birds in flight and pictures of the nuthatches in the mirror pond. I quite enjoy helping people getting the shots they are after. I also do a few workshops to the Farne islands and a couple of other places I never charge for these because I always go anyway.
I was lucky enough to make money from my photography in the past. These days I just do photography for me and that is the main thing I don't hardly bother posting images these days. But for me the subject comes first ask anyone who visits the hides they are set up to give the garden birds quick access to cover. I would never be critical of anyone who visits and use my setups because they are learning and respecting the subject and the environment around them its the same with the workshops I take people on.
Really people should just enjoy their photography for what it is a hobby. I shall be paying to use a Golden Eagle hide in Sweden in February instead of flying all the way I am picking up a car and driving 460 miles to the hides in the arctic circle and will hopefully get shots of wildlife on the way up will I prize those any more than the ones in the Hide no I am going for me and no one else. I don't really see any point in worrying about what other people think of my images because they are for me and I know if I have achieved what I am after. That's one reason I very rarely comment on peoples images these days on the forum as to many people have thin skins and can't take honest critique I believe this is solely down to the net and again people typing before the truly think what they mean and take the time to use a few more words to make the feedback sound nicer instead of being so blunt in some cases this then causes arguments and then sides are taken and for what a waste of time that could be better used for photography.
Regards
Rich

Last edited:
I'm with Marky and Gaz in respect of live baiting, i don't agree with it one bit, whether at a paid hide or not, it makes no difference

You wouldn't introduce your pet cats live mice in an enclosed space with no means of escape just to get a nice action shot of them hunting, so why would you do it for any other animal species

And also on the idea of nailing dead bait/roadkill etc to a stake for better vies of raptors (like the Sparrowhawk on Autumn Watch), i don't agree on that either

As for the feeding of Red Kites, yes i have been to a feeding station, but not Gilgrin Farm, i went to the free site at Bwlch Nant yr Arian, and as no one is actually profiting from this venture i can't see any reason they would continue to feed them if it put the birds at any risk what so ever

And also on the idea of nailing dead bait/roadkill etc to a stake for better vies of raptors (like the Sparrowhawk on Autumn Watch), i don't agree on that either

Would be interested in knowing your reason for not agreeing :)
As for the feeding of Red Kites, yes i have been to a feeding station, but not Gilgrin Farm, i went to the free site at Bwlch Nant yr Arian, and as no one is actually profiting from this venture i can't see any reason they would continue to feed them if it put the birds at any risk what so ever

I'm not sure of your logic here, surely it's either right or wrong to feed, whether or not anyone gets any form of payment isn't going to affect that is it?
Although Bwlch Nant yr Arian is a Welsh Tourist attraction so it would be in their interest to provide anything that brings in the visitors and therefore by implication they do profit from it, (restaurant, gift shop etc) :)

Would be interested in knowing your reason for not agreeing :)

I'm not sure of your logic here, surely it's either right or wrong to feed, whether or not anyone gets any form of payment isn't going to affect that is it?
Although Bwlch Nant yr Arian is a Welsh Tourist attraction so it would be in their interest to provide anything that brings in the visitors and therefore by implication they do profit from it, (restaurant, gift shop etc) :)

You really need reasons why i don't agree with nailing dead animals to posts o_O, well for a starters it stops the bird taking the food away, which in most cases is what the bird would normally do, take the food away to a place of safety to eat it (especially something small like a mouse), rather than out in the open, you could clearly see the Sparrowhawk on Autumn Watch trying to tear the mouse off the stake but it couldn't

As for the Red Kites, i suppose you do have a point, but then i'm not against paid and display hides and the like, i suppose the point i was trying to make it that not all display hides need to be paid for, so money isn't the be all and end all of these sorts of hides/feeding areas

My main beef is with using live (and nailed on dead) baiting

To play Devils advocate here Rich. What's the difference between nailing a mouse on the post for the Sparrowhawk and filling a feeder with peanuts. They both stop the bird doing what it would naturally do. In the case of the feeder it's far more perilous for the blue tits etc standing there pecking away than it is for the sparrow hawk.

I've got a sparrow hawk that visits the garden and occasionally makes a kill. He doesn't seem bothered about where he eats it. On the lawn or on top of the pergola, right out in the open. He still keeps an eye out though, although I guess it would take a powerful bird to kill one.

You really need reasons why i don't agree with nailing dead animals to posts o_O
A bit disingenuous really, we are not talking about 'animals', (as in any and all), we are talking specifically about small dead mammals and for a specific purpose :)
well for a starters it stops the bird taking the food away, which in most cases is what the bird would normally do, take the food away to a place of safety to eat it (especially something small like a mouse), rather than out in the open, you could clearly see the Sparrowhawk on Autumn Watch trying to tear the mouse off the stake but it couldn't.

In the case of the AW Sparrowhawk, if you watch carefully you will see that it was tied on, (not that it matters to me), and it didn't stop the bird feeding from it.
Sparrowhawks will often sit on wooden posts or fences to eat their prey so it's nothing abnormal to them, they don't automatically seek to hide to feed and will start to eat their prey at catch ... if I was a small rodent I think I would rather be dead before that happened!

As for the Red Kites, i suppose you do have a point, but then i'm not against paid and display hides and the like, i suppose the point i was trying to make it that not all display hides need to be paid for, so money isn't the be all and end all of these sorts of hides/feeding areas

So your objection is primarily one of economics rather than 'animal' welfare?

So your objection is primarily one of economics rather than 'animal' welfare?

To some degree yes, if it became known that feeding the Red Kites was harmful to their welfare, Bwlch Nant yr Arian would have little to lose in stopping feeding them (bar a slight drop in passing tourism) but Gilgrin however would have substantially more to lose

But as said above, i'm against paid hides, and im not sure most people complaining about the Kingfisher shots were either, i think the biggest objection was against using live bait

If i had clients /photographers visiting my owl site for monetary advantage i would quite happily nail a dead mouse on a post if it meant the client got his/her shot or more chance of getting that shot ,luckily i don't have to do that as i am not in the business of providing a pay to view workshop, i have seen images on this very forum of little owls from workshops and i know for a fact that mice were nailed to the post to heighten the chances of the bird hanging around ....

Hi All
I must admit over the nailing of bait to a post I am in two minds could the bird damage it's beak trying to tear let's say the mouse free and by that I mean hitting the nail/screwhead If there's the slightest chance you shouldn't do it. Not if you have the subjects best interest at heart.
Rich

Last edited:
Back