Payment from newspapers

Tommy12317

Name
Thomas West
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
First time working for a newspaper on Saturday and I'm just wondering is it definitely a paid thing or will they try and use you for free as a freelancer ?
Many thanks

As above, without a shadow of a doubt.

A quick heads up: If they're like my daily local they'll try and claim that they have no budget to pay you but will credit you and this will lead to oodles of other work.

Mine tried that on me. I politely declined and guess what? Yep, they suddenly found a budget to pay me.

You will be doing it for free if it's local newspaper with a credit so you can tell all your freinds what a good Tog you are.

Or you will get paid and be able to pay the the gas man.

The choice will be yours. Say after me..." I am sorry I don't do free forget the credit and pay me". Practice saying over and over again. :popcorn:

For now I dont mind doing it for free as I've only just started but its all about the courage to ask for money !

Please!!! Don't be a Freebie Photographer, as that reputation will stick, and you'll never be taken seriously. If you're doing work for a newspaper, local or national, then there is value to your work. Value is money. You will need to be paid for your work.
Offer them a Price per picture, or a price per batch. Make sure you agree this before you shoot, or at least before you submit any work to them. If they can't/won't pay, then no photo's for them. Take yourself seriously, and don't feed the photo vultures any scraps.
As prviously mentioned, Credits serve no purpose other than satisfy the ego's of a few to see their work in print and name up in lights. Don't be one of those amateurs.

How did you get on? Is it something you'd like to do again?

Back