PC build specs

I wonder if I need to connect 2.5G link to PC or if I could aggregate 2x 1G, with the other port being USB3 to ethernet adapter?
I'm not sure if you could plug in a USB ethernet adapter and link aggregate across the two very different interface. Because most of the time you only see this feature with 2 ports built into any motherboard/NAS. Would be very interesting if you could.

Have you thought about a 2.5gbe usb3 adapter for your Nas?
I did look up 2.5GbE USB adapters for my DS218+ a few months ago, the QNAP one isn't fully compatible with Synology in terms of drivers. Multigigabit LAN an area Synology is quickly falling behind.

4 pages of advice, surely you know your specs. by now!

Nice one! What did you get?

Went with the 5600X cooled with an Alpenfohn Brocken 3 Black Edition with dual 140mm fans and the X570 MSI Tomahawk; first time away from Intel. Paired up 32GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4 3600MHz and a Corsair Force MP510 series 960GB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive. Stuck it all in an ASUS TUF Gaming GT501VC Midi-Tower Case (which is more like a full tower) but it's a very well thought out case.

Moved across other drives and my GTX1660 Super. Got a new Corsair RM750X PSU so that I could keep my old build up and running as a backup for a while before using the parts for my son's build. I figure now the only upgrade I'll need to do for a long time is the GPU. My old rig still did me well but after 9 years an upgrade was due as stitching panos is hungry as is some of the new Photoshop features. Plenty of upgrade options with the processor as well thanks to AMD being better with CPU/MB compatibility, but I'll doubt I'll need anything faster for a long time.

Strange, I've got the same MP510 960GB drive and it wouldn't give me any good score.
I've read somewhere when the SSD's are near full, its speed decreases. I certainly no longer get the advertised speeds using DiskMark. So I guess your score is based on a a fresh drive.

Yes, these Ryzen 5000 CPU's are great. Feels like AMD's Sandy Bridge moment. The Intel 2000 series were a large step up from i7 920 and the i7 2700k lasted me until last year without feeling too slow.

Seems like almost everyone on AM4 will be eyeing an 5900x or 5800x in a few years' time :p I certainly am.

Strange, I've got the same MP510 960GB drive and it wouldn't give me any good score.
I've read somewhere when the SSD's are near full, its speed decreases. I certainly no longer get the advertised speeds using DiskMark. So I guess your score is based on a a fresh drive.

Yes, these Ryzen 5000 CPU's are great. Feels like AMD's Sandy Bridge moment. The Intel 2000 series were a large step up from i7 920 and the i7 2700k lasted me until last year without feeling too slow.

Seems like almost everyone on AM4 will be eyeing an 5900x or 5800x in a few years' time :p I certainly am.

Things move on so fast, wont be long before DDR5 systems will be all the rage and some new memory technology and mobo features will make those CPU`s look outdated.
Always happens with PC`s, i remember when my i5-8600K was considered one of the best couple of CPU`s on the market, it wasnt that long ago.

What mb do you have?

Scrap that, saw your earlier post. Aye, must be down to it being a new drive unless there is some MB feature, but as it's only gen 3 (and a single drive in play) then I can't see any other reason than the one you state. Although I'm wondering why my graphics card gets a better score this time and despite being back to stock, could it be the new motherboard (or other components) have some sort of secondary effect?

Last edited:
Things move on so fast, wont be long before DDR5 systems will be all the rage and some new memory technology and mobo features will make those CPU`s look outdated.
Always happens with PC`s, i remember when my i5-8600K was considered one of the best couple of CPU`s on the market, it wasnt that long ago.
New memory usually becomes beneficial and cost competitive after a bit over 1 year on the market. So late 2022 the earliest for them to make financial sense.

New mobo feature are unlikely to be locked to new mobos. Things are always incremental. You can always get add-on card to get the completely new must-have features.

But for CPU speed. You have a very good point. We are in a different time compared to Intel Sandy Bridge dominance. I believe we’ll see worth well upgrades when DDR5 becomes cost effective. (Skipping a gen or 2 from Zen 3, best of DDR4)

What mb do you have?

Scrap that, saw your earlier post. Aye, must be down to it being a new drive unless there is some MB feature, but as it's only gen 3 (and a single drive in play) then I can't see any other reason than the one you state. Although I'm wondering why my graphics card gets a better score this time and despite being back to stock, could it be the new motherboard (or other components) have some sort of secondary effect?
Asus B550 mATX TUF plus, the MP510 drive is in the direct CPU linked slot.

GPU May be bottlenecked by CPU in earlier test?
Nvidia are known to be bottleneck by CPU due to them using software for scheduling. There was an investigation by Hardware Unboxed recently.

Ah yes, the CPU could well have been bottlenecking the GPU. I'm going to install MSI Afterburner again and see what difference it makes.

Forgot to say, I also moved across my Sound Blaster Z card - my son isn't getting that! lol

Last edited:
My CPU has dropped slightly, although it was running a little hotter and I'm still messing about with fan profiles. GPU has a slight increase with the MSI AB O/C.

Sorry, my M.2 has got even faster haha! :D

2021-04-24 10_49_57-Window OC.jpg

2021-04-24 10_49_57-Window OC 2nd screen.jpg

Very unlikely I would say. It needs all the Adobe cloud malware. It's a bit too much to ask. I checked crossover office list, and they have PS CS4 as the last known working version. That is very old and cloud is at 22 (and obviously that is all I can get now). Just have to figure out a way with VM...
I'll play with darktable a little bit to check, but I know for a fact GIMP is missing a few small but very important features like an actually usable healing brush. I hope it gets done before too long and maybe we can actually think about booting Adobe.

I don't need all the bells and whistles which PhotoShop has these days but you can get older copies (PS7 and CS2) for free if all you need is a fairly simple editor.
I do all my editing (inc creating videos) for my YouTube channel inside VMs and it works perfectly well running Win 7 or Win 10.

Back