Pc Build

NJG

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Right this is a strange thing to ask i think.

Im thinking of building my self a dedicated pc for my photgraphy. Mainly going to use photoshop once i get it. Will want to gain internet access from it also so i can share pictures. So basically im hoping someone could help by giving me a list of what I need. And also if possible minimum spec of items to. This is not something im gonna rush into, and im gonna build it over 6months i think. So any help would be great.

Thank you

Im thinking of building my self a dedicated pc for my photgraphy. Mainly going to use photoshop once i get it. Will want to gain internet access from it also so i can share pictures. So basically im hoping someone could help by giving me a list of what I need. And also if possible minimum spec of items to. This is not something im gonna rush into, and im gonna build it over 6months i think. So any help would be great.

Thank you

What sort of budget are you thinking of ?

Thank you

Photography and post processing is not really that intensive in comparison to some other uses that PCs are used for such as games. You don't really need anything out of the ordinary unless you really want something out of the ordinary. A middling spec Dell with plenty of RAM and a decent sized HD and you will be fine.

Oh right ok, Well if i get the spec of my current pc and post on here then could some please advised if it would be ok? or if i should upgrade certain areas

Oh right ok, Well if i get the spec of my current pc and post on here then could some please advised if it would be ok? or if i should upgrade certain areas

No problem at all :)

Hardware
Base processor
Celeron E1200 (C) 1.6 GHz (65W)
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
Intel G31 Express
Motherboard
Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: MS-7525
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Boston-GL6
Power supply
300W
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
160 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
7200 rpm

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
Function Maximum speed
DVD-RAM Up to 12X
DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 8X
DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X
DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X
DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X
DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X
CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

Video Graphics
Integrated on motherboard (see motherboard and chipset)

Sound/Audio
High Definition 5.1 audio
ALC 662 chipset
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
IBM Microdrive
Secure Digital (SD)
mini-SD
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)
MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)
MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick Pro Duo
SmartMedia
xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
15-in-1 (4 slot) One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One

I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
VGA One
USB Four
LAN One
Audio (line in, line out, microphone) One Each

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI One (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Two (Two available)

Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" Two (One available)
3.5" One (None available)

Your computer would just about do but its a bit long in the tooth. I would look for a new base unit with a Core2Duo or Quad core, 4Gb RAM, 500+Gb HD. Like I said you don't need anything OTT but your current setup is a bit slow :)

without checking with your motherboard model, you could in theory (its the same socket) rip the celeron out and replace it with a dual core, but youll be stuck wit a max of 4gb memory..

Could I upgrade or buy a complete new base unit? And yes it is slow.

you could upgrade..

apparently the motherboard supports:

# Core 2 Duo E7xxx (Wolfdale-M) (65W)
# Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core) (65W)

max the memory out to 4gb and whack in an additional 1TB SATA drive for storage..?

doable on a budget. ebay is your friend.

Ok, I will have a look into it then and way up my options and costs.

IMO think Hard Drives

1) For OS and programs
2) For scratch disk
3) For data
4) For copy of data

I am talking separate physical drives not partitions

NB #4 could be dropped if you have an external for backups but having two internal copies of all data (images) is no bad thing as well as external drives as backups.

But please whatever you do if you have the most simple setup with oen HDD make sure to have an external one or two for backups ~ remember there are only two types of HDDs - those that have failed and those that will fail.

All the best.

HTH :)

PS Remember heat is death to HDDs ~ my box has fans blowing air over the 4 HDDs in it ;)

Only thing I would say when building new is to get a Dual Core (Core2Duo) or Quad core with plenty of RAM, 4gb will do the trick nicely and set you up for a good few years

One thing I learned during my crash course in component studies :)lol:) was to avoid Integrated Graphics. Your graphics card should have its own memory so it is not borrowing memory from elsewhere....

for a games PC or 3d CAD yes, but for 2d image / design work I'd tend to disagree on its importance. If there's plent of RAM (ie.4GB) the theft by the video is not a problem, and most stand alone graphics are purely about 3d performance for games, they're nothing better for 2d unless you have hit a resolution limit and want a bigger screen or need a different type or quantity of video outputs.

I would check out Fleabay for custom built PC's, there are some good spec'd machines on there that can go quite cheap as gamers upgrade to the latest I7 processors.

W

Opps..Keyboard issues.

I was going to say well worth a look as oppossed to buying you own components it may well work out cheaper.

Back