PC Help - Formatting Computer

tigerimages

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a new PC downstairs ready to use and this one that I'm using now is going into retirement. However, I want to wipe it clean and get rid of any of my personal details.

I've tried re-installing XP but I can't seem to get it to boot via the cd even though I've changed the settings in the BIOS (?).

What can I do other than to take it apart manaually and destroy the hard drive?

Have you got a hard drive 'caddy' -(an enclosure for external USB hard drives)

If so, take the hard drive from your old machine, and stick it into the caddy-the new machine will read it as a drive.

Probably the best solution is a big hammer job :)

Even reinstalling Windows would not do a great job of clearing your data, I would recommend you look into Eraser (downloadable from soundforge) which should be able to help. I think it even has the option to make a bootable 'kill disc' which will zero all your data.

Or take a hammer to the hard drive?

What's the spec of the machine, you might be able to get a few quid on it from ebay?

Cheers,
James

Then just take the hard drive out and break it, be warned though, the platters inside the drive are probably glass and when they break they can really shatter. I'd drop it on concrete a few times till it tinkles inside.

... and then leave it in a bucket of water for several days:nuts:

I couldn't find a way of formatting it so the hard drive has now gone to heaven after a bout of GBH ;)

Back