PC not booting (intermittently)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Hope you can help. I built a PC about a year ago and it has been fine and very reliable. The CPU fan was the std one that cape with the CPU and was pretty noisy so I swapped it out for a BeQuiet heat sink and fan. All went OK and the PC is now pretty quiet. However sometimes when turning the PC on it will not boot. The Case power light comes on but nothing happens. After turning the PC on and off a few times it will eventually boot up and all is well. Sometimes after it has been in sleep mode it wont wake up so I have to force a re-boot.

I don't know if it's the fan, case or SSD drive. Anyone with any ideas to test what it could be.

Many thanks in advance.

Suggest you check the wires are secure to your boot-up switch, at the same time check all the rest of your connections.

I doubt it will be anything to do with the fan or case.

Will do however I have already checked everything. Will have another look. :)

Do you mean that the case fan etc comes on but you do not hear a beep (i.e. the OS does not "post")?

First I would go into the bios and check the boot priority...it might be that the computer is trying to boot from something other than the hard drive. If you can rule that out, I would re-seat everything (no really, EVERYTHING!) to see if that helps.

Then it's a really boring, frustrating case of checking components one by one by trial and error to try and isolate the issue. You might also try a re-install if you've got backups and it's too much of a pain.

Good luck!

Do you mean that the case fan etc comes on but you do not hear a beep (i.e. the OS does not "post")?
Yes, Looks like many fun hours playing with the machine. :(

I have re plugged everything in and it looked like the main cable from the on/off/usb/sd card was possibly not sitting on the motherboard properly. I probably knocked it when upgrading the heat sink. So result so far is a working PC again! I will give it a good test over the next few weeks to make sure it behaves itself.

Thanks all. :)

Back