PC or Mac

and here we go again...

why ask the question? are you wanting a computer? if so what are you intending to use it for? budget?

p.s. MAC ;)

I have both :D

I already have my own answer *cough*Mac*cough* but I just want to know what others think :D

I've had Windows from 95 and I'm bored of it. I've used a Mac and I think that the next computer I get will be a Mac.

Well i have a Mac with Windows Xp on Quarter of it so i have the best of both worlds and love it

c'mon guys, it's a serious question :shrug:

I converted to mac about 4 years back and have never regreted it for a moment.

..... until tonight. My trusty Macbook Pro is being a right pain and headed for the window at this rate. It anoyed me so much it's now running in windoze. :bang:

I've only used Macs at work, didn't particularly care for them. I also seem to be the only one happy with Vista.

:agree: (but from MS-DOS5 / Windows 3.0)

i remember upgrading to MSDos5 with a 286 20mb hdd and 2 megs of ram

Recently converted to MAC :D

But to be honest it depends what you want to use it for as to which is best

Hey sorry for the slight hijack, but I have just installed Server 2K8 on my second HDD, and I must say I am loving it :)

Have enabled the Vista look and feel, and kept most server features turned off, to ensure a small footprint. Reason for doing? 64bit CPU for a start, and now windows actually USES my 4GB, unlike the pesky 32bit limit which is roughly 3.2GB.

It installed from scratch, to desktop, in 22 minutes (no format). Found all my Dell XPS 420 hardware (all the important stuff), and Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver and some other options from CS3 installed in about 6 minutes.

It all seems blindingly fast, but that could simply be "new os" speed, as opposed to a 64bit increase.

I will know in a few weeks,

Gary.

What a shock, all the Mac snobs come out of the woodwork . . lol :) dont flame me, I'm just poking fun at Mac users fierce brand loyalty

Seriously, It really depends on your budget, and whether your other half moans about the computer being ugly. I think you also need a modicum of tech ability for the PC, whereas if you dont know much about OSs and hardware, I think the Mac "babysits" you a bit more

You get a lot more Computer for your money if you buy a PC, but some of the Macs are really aesthetically pleasing. . :)

I run 64 bit Vista Ultimate on a 3ghz multi core processor with 4gb of fast RAM with LOADS of hard drive space and I love it. Photoshop is a dream to use, and when I am processing HDR images, it renders 3 times faster than my friends Mac, but as I am not 100% sure of his spec it would be unfair to put more weight on this stat.

I would say, go PC, at least a 3ghz quad core, at least 2gb of RAM, and your computer time will be a pleasant experience. . Also you will find that more of your friends will be able to help with problems as they will probably have a PC. You can say what you want about Bill Gates, but he has got it sewn up. .

Oh, and with the money you have saved over the Mac, treat yourself to a couple of sweet lenses. .

As for the guy thats just installed the 64 bit OS, my friend who works for Microsoft told me to re-install standard Vista, as 64 is quite often slightly slower when it is running 32 bit apps in a 64 bit environment. He did explain (API calls blah blah 32 bit memory addressing blah blah) but I dont notice its any slower, and I like to be able to see all of my 4gb of RAM. .

mac user here

In my opinion it all depends on what YOU want,

If you want a stylish user friendy fast computer then get a mac, BUT any mac that is Quick at all will cost you a Bomb.

On the computer side of things, computers are much much better value for money on the performance side, all you have to do is a bit of research into overclocking and self building, for example i have a machine here that cost me around 1000Quid to build that would completly blow the £4000Mac pro out of the water.

at the end of the day its what you want:)

If it helps I use Macs and PC's day in day out and recommend you seriously spend the time with a mac to find if you like it. Personally, I like them for entertainment-based stuff, but when it's time to get some work done, the PC does it better.

This works for me, but only you can tell for you!

Cheers,
James

PC and MAC user here.

Mac = work flow tool from images from camera, batch processing, lightroom bits and pieces.

CS3 runs so much better on my Mac, especially when 1 screen is rotated 90 degrees when working on portrait stuff (y)

The PC/Winblows Server I use are for storage, running the RIPs for the printers, web processing scripts etc etc

In my experience of this (for many years now), Mac is the better option for editing / reliability, the fun stuff.

PC's / Windows Servers for your other needs (word processing, FTP servers etc :LOL:)

Well, MACs have very similar/almost the same components as some Intel based PCs these days, so the main difference is the operating system and how well the hardware is optimised and tuned to work with the OS installed.

To answer your question, I tend to like Intel or AMD x86 or x86_64/x86-64 based computers not sold by Apple.
I dislike Vista, as it tends to work acceptably well (for me) with only a few hardware configurations. I quite like XP and Linux, FreeBSD isn't bad either, Solaris is kind of too buggy (tends to freeze on my machine) and that well featured for my usual desktop use.

Bought an iMac Aug 07 and find that I use it more than the Sony Lappy, does not take much getting used to, but again it's down to what you have to spend and what you want from it.

Jim M

I have been on PCs all my life and have no intention of changing. I had to use macs for my degree and I actually detested the OS. They were no quicker for running scripts in matlab / R / C than a PC of the same spec is, and I found the OS completely counter intuitive.

Somebody could buy me a mac if they wish??

The spec...

Specifications

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32GB (8x4GB)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB GDDR3
300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 3Gb/s
Two 16x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
Quad Channel 4GB Fibre Channel PCI Express Card
Mac Pro RAID Card
iWork '08
Logic Express 8
Final Cut Express HD
Aperture preinstalled
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (Int'l English) & Mac OS - Int'l English
Mac OS X Server (Unlimited Client)
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" LCD)
Xsan 2
HP Photosmart C8180 All-in-One Multifunction
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll
Five USB ports
Two FireWire 400 ports
Two FireWire 800 ports

The price...

A mere Price: £15,105.47
VAT: £2,643.46
Subtotal: £17,748.93

Ready to ship:
6 days

Free Shipping

:|

Same thing, different packaging. Both do every day tasks as well as each other, both are powerful creative tools and both can run the same OS. There's very little difference in real world use aside from what I feel are better ergonomics and industrial design courtesy of Apple.

Linux.... so long as you don't need any really decent tog software. hmmmm.....

Linux.... so long as you don't need any really decent tog software. hmmmm.....

This is a good point. Is the OP's question relating to hardware or software, or just a general question about Mac vs. Everyone else.

Remember OSX was built on Linux.

Remember OSX was built on Linux.

It wasn't. It is said they used BSD and Mach microkernel elements to create Darwin and XNU, the kernel of Mac OS X.

Frankly, if you check your hardware and the GIMP is enough for you for photo editing (along with RawTherapee, UFRaw, etc.), then Linux is a good choice. Then again, so can be FreeBSD or PC-BSD (FreeBSD with a different installer and an extra packaging system).

It wasn't. It is said they used BSD and Mach microkernel elements to create Darwin and XNU, the kernel of Mac OS X.

Frankly, if you check your hardware and the GIMP is enough for you for photo editing (along with RawTherapee, UFRaw, etc.), then Linux is a good choice. Then again, so can be FreeBSD or PC-BSD (FreeBSD with a different installer and an extra packaging system).

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

No, Whittie, you'll have to work for one yourself...
Daydreaming won't get you one iota closer to owning one.

I think he was joking there.
Now, take a deep breath and chill, it's a nice warm Sunday evening :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome :)

Back