Pc ports

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been looking at the back of my pc and have noticed some ports, that at first didn't know what they were for. So I looked them up on Google and have found that they are 1x e-sata port and 2x FireWire ports. So are these useful for anything?

Er yes and no....

The e-sata port is useful if you have an external disk drive that has an esata port. However, if you have usb 3.0 you'll unlikely see a huge step up in terms of performance. e-sata is essentially a direct link to the motherboard and stands for external sata. Sata being the interface that your disk drives inside your computer use.

FireWire again is another interface, but has more functionality. Until the advent of usb 3.0 or thunderbolt ports it was fairly quick (800 mbps) but crucially you can daisy chain devices and devices are hot swappable.
In geeky terms, FireWire is really cool imo, I think the introduction of affordable hdd's and large removable memory from external devices rendered FireWire obsolete, shame really as it's fantastic tech imo.

Er yes and no....

The e-sata port is useful if you have an external disk drive that has an esata port. However, if you have usb 3.0 you'll unlikely see a huge step up in terms of performance. e-sata is essentially a direct link to the motherboard and stands for external sata. Sata being the interface that your disk drives inside your computer use.

FireWire again is another interface, but has more functionality. Until the advent of usb 3.0 or thunderbolt ports it was fairly quick (800 mbps) but crucially you can daisy chain devices and devices are hot swappable.
In geeky terms, FireWire is really cool imo, I think the introduction of affordable hdd's and large removable memory from external devices rendered FireWire obsolete, shame really as it's fantastic tech imo.
Thanks for that.
Funnily enough, I was round the back of the pc, about to install a usb 3 pci-e card.

Some many years ago when I was into Digital Video with my DV Sony tape camera....I needed a FireWire card to transfer the file to my PC :)

I still use my Panasonic DV tape camera...
+1, think it may be time for me to upgrade to HDD camcorder, but kids have grown up and do not like taking video.[emoji849]

Reactions: RIR
Back