PC running slow, what can I do?

as said you can't have enough cooling fans. Here is my own build with 2 fans at the front pushing the air in -one in the middle and another underneath on the circuit board, then finally one at the back. So have a straight through air passage inside the computer

a 750w PU so there is enough power to add virtually anything . At the moment 2 SSD drives and 2 HDD driveshd.jpg

built in 2012 and added to since with more RAM etc. Keeping it cool inside I would put high on the list for efficiency

Last edited:
A graphics card will simply do all the rendering so many times faster than inbuilt graphics for a sensible price.
Please have a Google and see what they do.
Do photographers on Windows not automatically spec cards with their PC's?

Thermal paste arrived this morning, SSD and a couple of extra fans should arrive later today. I will test after installing each component to what difference each makes.

A graphics card will simply do all the rendering so many times faster than inbuilt graphics for a sensible price.
You may have guessed but I am no expert, but the advice I got at the time of building this machine was that onboard graphics would probably be enough for photo editing, so to give it a try and only get a dedicated graphics card if needed. Up to now that has been fine.

If I were to get a graphics card, will it still work with a docking station? I currently use a usb3 docking station with all my peripherals connected to it so that I can easily flick between my home pc and my work laptop by just moving one usb cable. I assume I would need to connect my monitor directly to the outputs from the graphics card.

Actually, now I am thinking it out loud, with my monitor connected to the dock does that mean that I am not even using the mobo's onboard graphics? What is driving my monitor, do these docks have them built in too? If so I imagine they are pretty crap.

You need USB 3.1 to use an external graphics card. Usually they are pretty good, enabling a machine with low spec onboard graphics like yours to behave like it has a separate graphics card.

Thermal paste arrived this morning, SSD and a couple of extra fans should arrive later today. I will test after installing each component to what difference each makes.

You may have guessed but I am no expert, but the advice I got at the time of building this machine was that onboard graphics would probably be enough for photo editing, so to give it a try and only get a dedicated graphics card if needed. Up to now that has been fine.

If I were to get a graphics card, will it still work with a docking station? I currently use a usb3 docking station with all my peripherals connected to it so that I can easily flick between my home pc and my work laptop by just moving one usb cable. I assume I would need to connect my monitor directly to the outputs from the graphics card.

Actually, now I am thinking it out loud, with my monitor connected to the dock does that mean that I am not even using the mobo's onboard graphics? What is driving my monitor, do these docks have them built in too? If so I imagine they are pretty crap.

Fans and paste wont make any difference if your setup was already running cool under load. You can add 50 fans but it doesnt mean you need them (looks like your setup could do with a couple though) Your case thermals cant be to great as it is. A dedicated GPU isnt going to make much difference for stills but as has been said, it will for video if the software can utilize it. Why would you want to run eGPU instead of internal?

Last edited:

Not really, lightroom doesnt utilize the GPU effectively. CPU is much more important.

" Not really, lightroom doesnt utilize the GPU effectively. CPU is much more important. "
Thanks Twist....having been a gamer until recently (I'm just a little too old and slow now!) GPUs have always been standard to me so I had never really thought about it.
.Have used Adobe Elements from the beginning but now also using Capture One as my focus has changed....pun intended! :cool:

" onboard graphics would probably be enough for photo editing, so to give it a try and only get a dedicated graphics card if needed."
Bass that was my thought!

Last edited:
You need USB 3.1 to use an external graphics card. Usually they are pretty good, enabling a machine with low spec onboard graphics like yours to behave like it has a separate graphics card.
Apparently my mobo only supports up to usb3.0

My monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs, so I guess I can connect up the VGA to the dock for when I am using my work laptop which doesn't need any real graphics performance and the DVI to my PC.

Thinking about it, if I am already using the dock to connect my monitor am I even using the mobo onboard GPU, or is it something inside the dock itself?

My monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs, so I guess I can connect up the VGA to the dock for when I am using my work laptop which doesn't need any real graphics performance and the DVI to my PC.

Thinking about it, if I am already using the dock to connect my monitor am I even using the mobo onboard GPU, or is it something inside the dock itself?
Does everything go through usb, or is there a separate graphics cable?

I would suggest this is a factor in why the system crashes. Initially you could try removing the dock and cabling directly to the pc. Ultimately I think you'll need a discrete graphics card for this work.

Does everything go through usb, or is there a separate graphics cable?

I would suggest this is a factor in why the system crashes. Initially you could try removing the dock and cabling directly to the pc. Ultimately I think you'll need a discrete graphics card for this work.
Everything goes through a single USB. It is this one, provided by my employer.

The specs of the graphics unit in my motherboard are

Integrated Graphics Processor- Intel® HD Graphics support
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/RGB/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB
Supports Intel® InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™
Supports up to 3 displays simultaneously

Not having looked at graphics cards before, I am not sure what I would need. How much do I need to be spending to satisfy my annual flutter with video editing? :LOL:

If Im understanding correctly, I would buy this...

DVI from internal GPU to DVI splitter to monitor.
DVI from laptop to DVI splitter to monitor.
Press buttons to change the device your monitor displays.

I think I'm wrong about the usb 3.1 - there is an issue with 3.0 but it may just be charging. I did look into external graphics cards a while back, but can't now find what it was.

I connect 2 different machines to one monitor - if they'll take different cables then it's easy and no need to disconnect.

Last edited:
I assume you have a W10 unit so would ask if you have done the basic tests yet? Like 'scannow' and 'scanhealth' from within Powershell (run as administrator).

A normal graphics card is fitted internally.
It plugs in to one of the bays of the motherboard and is powered by one of the flying leads already fitted.
If you post your motherboard model on the Overclockers forum they will suggest the best low priced card to suit.
Replies normally appear in minutes from extremely knowledgeable members.
Overclockers.

Simple example of installation.
GPU installation.

Last edited:
A normal graphics card is fitted internally.
It plugs in to one of the bays of the motherboard and is powered by one of the flying leads already fitted.
If you post your motherboard model on the Overclockers forum they will suggest the best low priced card to suit.
Replies normally appear in minutes from extremely knowledgeable members.
Overclockers.

It's going to be a card like a rx580 8gb, because it's fairly cheap and has a fair amount of vram. Or 1660.

Yes, I use Macrium Reflect (Free edition).
Simply buy a cheap USB 3 SSD enclosure and stick the new drive in there.
Run Macrium reflect, and tell it to clone from your 120 GB drive to the new drive.
Once done, power everything down, take the new drive out of the enclosure and swap it with your 120 GB HD.
Power up, then use Windows Disk Management to extend the volume to use the full size of the new SSD.
Am I missing something with cloning a disc? When I go to select a destination disc to clone to it only lists internal drives, the new drive in the external caddy doesn't show.

EDIT: Not to worry, I turned it off and on again and all is fine, making the clone now. :cool:

Last edited:
New drive installed and it seems to be running much better. The video project I was working on now at least opens without the software freezing, it still has jumpy playback but it is at least usable. I would like to reinstall the software to the SSD to see if that helps, but I can't for the life of me find the disc. :geek:

I can almost guarantee it’s the Fuji files causing it, as they are so high bitrate and in a codec not supported by many older computers.

If you can, go into the camera menu and check what codec it’s using, it’s the second option on the camera settings.. it’s probably using h265, change it to h264 And try some test clips and see if you can import and edit those. You can also try lowering the bitrate to 100mbs in the movie mode menu.

Id also try downloading the free version of davinci resolve and try that out, it could be Vegas just doesn’t like the files.
Sorry, I somehow missed this before.
The codec that my camera is set to is H.264, and compression is Long GOP, whatever that is.

I have removed and reinstalled Vegas onto the SSD, and moved all the project files there too, there is a slight improvement but no a lot, still very choppy previews. I could probably work with it but it will be frustrating.
During preview my CPU is sitting at ~50% usage and RAM is at 40% usage so it doesn't look like these are being particularly stressed. I guessed this means that the GPU is the bottle neck, however I can view all the clips through windows explorer and they run perfectly. So I guess this is a software issue rather than hardware? Maybe not surprising as Vegas 11 is nearly 10 years old now.

Are there any other video editing softwares that might be better but on a shoestring budget?

I think there's a free version of DaVinci Resolve which could be worth a try?

I think there's a free version of DaVinci Resolve which could be worth a try?
Funny you should mention that. I have just installed it to try it out, but it wont even open the software with just an internal GPU. Looking on their FAQ their recommended budget it GPU is £1500. Right now the best I could stretch to is around £100 and I don't know if that would cut the mustard?

Funny you should mention that. I have just installed it to try it out, but it wont even open the software with just an internal GPU. Looking on their FAQ their recommended budget it GPU is £1500. Right now the best I could stretch to is around £100 and I don't know if that would cut the mustard?

Might be able to find a used graphics card and take the risk that it hasn't been cooked from overclocking?

I can run resolve on an ancient gtx970 on my windows pc, so you don’t need anything hugely fancy.
It will massively improve things as most video editors now use the gpu heavily to help decode and render video.

I can run resolve on an ancient gtx970 on my windows pc, so you don’t need anything hugely fancy.
It will massively improve things as most video editors now use the gpu heavily to help decode and render video.
OK thanks. It is a bit of a minefield. Looking on ebuyer at Nvidia GeForce cards for example, I see that there are various options for each mobo brand. If I have an Asus mobo is it important to get an Asus GeForce GPU?

Would something like this be enough do you think?

No need to get the same brand as the mobo, It’s just different brands make their own variant of the card. Id look at more memory than that card has. I’d think 4gb is a minimum really.

Fair enough, so something like this then? I am hoping it will do as no one seems to have much in stock at all.

Edit: It will have to be ok, it will be here tomorrow. :LOL:

Last edited:
GPU turned up this morning so got that installed, added in the new fans and replaced the thermal paste, along with new SSD that will hopefully sorth things out.

20201215_094648.jpg
20201215_094902.jpg

First thing I tried was to run Sony Vegas again, but playback was just as bad as before so I think that settle the question of hardware or software issue.

However I can now run Davinci and playback there is silky smooth. Just need to learn how to use it an start my project from scratch. Big thank you for everyone's help!

Last edited:
First thing I tried was to run Sony Vegas again, but playback was just as bad as before so I think that settle the question of hardware or software issue.

Do I recall you saying the software was 10 years old? It probably can't use a modern graphics chipset effectively for acceleration. Glad you're otherwise sorted & moving forwards. :)

Back