PC Sound

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi , I listen to a lot of music on my pc via a pair of B &W MM1’s which do sound good but I would like more control over the sound ie treble and bass control
Could this be done via software or would it be better to get a sound card ?
Thanks all

Consider the Dragonfly DAC as well - makes a big difference to the sound quality.

Are you connecting to your computer's on-board audio via a 3.5mm jack, or are you using a digital USB connection? The latter will use whatever DAC is built into the speakers, which may well be a good one from a brand like B&W.

Try downloading KM player (free), it has a quite versatile equaliser.

The speakers are connected via USB
I will check the software options
Which sound card would people recommend please ?

I've got a Sound Blaster Z which made a huge difference, especially with my Steelseries Arctis 5 headphones running through the rear 3.5mm port. There's lots of customisation through the software, especially the equalizer. I've screenshot some below for you.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Been looking into the options but not sure I can do much because of the usb connection? I the speakers have built in amp and dac then is there nothing to improve sound/ settings?
Is this right ?

Looking at the What Hi-Fi review for these suggests that using the USB connection is probably the best bet. However you could, if you want to, go down the 3rd party sound card and a 3.5mm analogue connection but I doubt you'll get any improvement in sound quality. Depending on what you're feeling is lacking then the software EQ software could be beneficial as suggested by garryknight.

Thanks for that ! Basically the same conclusion I had reached after reading all the posts! I’ll check out the software options!

Back