PC upgrade?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 7-8 year old Dell, it's got a pentium 4, 1.25gb ram, it's mostly used for surfing the net and general mucking about, little bit of photoshop (serious stuff done on much higher spec PC)
It's on XP pro service pack 2 at the moment, but it's time has come for a bit of an upgrade system wise, and it needs wiping.
Question, will it run windoes 7? if as I suspect it won't which is the best version of vista bearing in mind it's limited resources, I don't want to buy anything better as my 2 children also use it.
Thanks Wayne

I would deffo keep XP, it's a lot more user friendly.
Just a question though, why does it need wiping?

The minimum spec for running Windows 7 is not that high and ypur machine could probably run it.

However, if you have the XP discs and it is not, as it appears, you main machine , I'd save anything important files, reformat the drive and reinstall XP.

The get on line and allow all the XP updates to download.

This will take some time as they do not all come down together - probably a few hours over a day or two and a few reboots.

It is essential to get all the XP updates first before trying to load anything else.

Would not bother with Vista - I find it an intrusive, slow OS.

Dave

Windows 7 would be a better bet than vista, as it really does run better on less than perfect hardware. 7 is also a better OS than Vista, and I've never been a Vista basher!!

I've just installed 7 on an old asus A7N8X with athlon 2800+, I bumped up the ram to 2Gb and it runs surprisingly well. I did have to use a usb to ethernet dongle to get it on the net to update drivers, but once it did, everything worked.

Do run the 7 upgrade advisor before you bite the bullet though. And I would always do a fresh install rather than use a "cleaner" as even the best do leave rubbish behind.

Tara

Back