Review PC Vs MAC Review

Edit My Images
Yes
When I was looking for a new laptop I considered a macbook simply because I fancied a change, and they were highly recommended.
The main probelm I found was getting an unbiased opinion on the subject. So I thought I would pull this view together before I become bias.

The 2 machines I was considering was the macbook and the Dell XPS (the small portable one)

There was nothing in the 2 machines, the mac was more powerful, but the Dell had a significantly better Grafix card, but I dont play games so this was not a major factor.

So, 3 weeks into Mac land how are things...
Generally Good!
It took me a week to get used to the Mac OS, but now I'm used to it, I like it.
For me the best features are the installation of programmes, you just run them! They open within themselves so are not intrusive on the OS or other programmes.

Drag and Drop - If you have a file you wish to open in a programme on your Dock (Like Quick start menu at bottom) you just drag it into that programme, and it opens! (cool!)

Programme removal, drag it to the trash bin, empty trash and that is the end of that! no trace programmes hidden away... its gone!

The Screen is superb, the speed the OS boots up is superb and once its on screen, you can use it, no waiting for AV to finish updating, or other hidden programmes to finish running.

Programmes - iLife is cool, and functional, especially iPhoto if you don't want to spend on other editing software.
I have added - Light Room, PS3, Dreamweaver, and Microsoft Office. I also needed FTP software.
All loaded without any fuss, I bought a converter to convert Outlook email files to the mac format.

Niggles - Right Click! You can do it, so why not have a button??? Scrolling, again you can so why not set it up the same way as everyother laptop on the plannet???
MSN - It is me... I cant get it working...But MS have not released a good version, no video chat! I have a built in web cam... cant use it!
Page close, minimise and expand buttons are on the opposite side to MS OS's WHY? change them?? make life for us converts easier!!!
This could be me... But I cant find a way to switch between open web pages like you can on a PC with Ctrl>tab, other than clicking on a visible part of it
MS Office, just doesnt work as well on a Mac... only because I am used to using it everyday... They have tried to make is more Mac like, instaid of sticking to its functionality, but that is MS's fault, not mac's.
Keyboard, it is slightly different to a PC, so when typing I hit the wrong keys often!

Overall, now I have it set up how I want it I am reasonably happy.

If someone put the Dell on a table and the Mac which one would I choose???
It would be the mac... No regrets, happy with what I have.

Are Mac's better than PC's? From my experience, the hardware is just about the same. But the Mac OS is significantly better at utilising resource, and not wasting it like MS.

Finally if you have a Mac shop near by, pop in the Totty it attracts is superb, you dont get that in PC world!!!! :)

Super review mate.

Just like to suggest a few things:

MSN - There are a few variations of the microsoft one, Adium is very customisable, I currently use it and find it very useful. Also aMSN is another variation which can use the built in webcam! - Very handy sometimes.

Right Click - Took me a while to get used to it, but I have set mine up so, two fingers on the track pad and a click on the buttom is a right click, super quick now I'm used to it!

Not used MS Office, I use Neooffice, which is the openoffice OS X version, very neat and easy to use.

++on the totty comment, the chicks dig it :D

Just a note on program removal - its not as easy as drag and drop in the recycle bin, some of the small and larger programs by Adobe, Microshaft, etc, Install entries everywhere in the different library folders on the system.

when I changed about a year ago it took me a few weeks to get used to the different positions of things in editing software, but now i find my workflow is far faster on a Mac than PC. Would I change back to PC - No.

You seem to be reviewing Windows XP against Mac OS X, not a PC against Mac OS X.

PC != Windows ;)

Instead of the MSN client, you can try meebo.com

You can have right click, you just need a mouse for that (there should be a keyboard key or a keyboard shortcut to do that anyway).

I don't really care about iLife (not now anyway), for iPhoto there are lots of alternatives, at least for Windows and Linux (most of them are for BSDs too).

You don't have to wait for additional apps after logging in probably because there aren't any to be started.

That sort of program installation looks like a security threat to me :p

The page close, minimise and expand buttons were there since the early days of mac os x, I think.

The only thing I like about macs is that the are sort of slick in a way, but I've tried mac os x only once, emulated, and under the same settings, everything else was faster.
I guess the real thing is different, isn't it?

A lot of the newer large prog. like PS install an uninstall prog. . Use spotlight to find if needed.

Receipts can cause a prob. after dumping a prog. You'll find them in Finder/HD/Receipts and Finder/User/Library/Application Support ..

The later is more likely to be the problem especially if you are re-installing for some reason.

Go there and move any receipts from previous installation to your desktop. Do your re-installation and if all works OK then delete the desktop file. A new receipt will have been created.

I'm not an expert but I hope that helps in the future.

Regards

You seem to be reviewing Windows XP against Mac OS X, not a PC against Mac OS X.

PC != Windows ;)

Instead of the MSN client, you can try meebo.com

You can have right click, you just need a mouse for that (there should be a keyboard key or a keyboard shortcut to do that anyway).

I don't really care about iLife (not now anyway), for iPhoto there are lots of alternatives, at least for Windows and Linux (most of them are for BSDs too).

You don't have to wait for additional apps after logging in probably because there aren't any to be started.

That sort of program installation looks like a security threat to me :p

The page close, minimise and expand buttons were there since the early days of mac os x, I think.

The only thing I like about macs is that the are sort of slick in a way, but I've tried mac os x only once, emulated, and under the same settings, everything else was faster.
I guess the real thing is different, isn't it?

Seems to me most of his problems are ones of change rather than ease of use and from trying to run windows stuff on a mac..

From experience doing that is problematical but getting better.

Additional Progs?? Not necessary if it's written right in the first place.

Still the functionality of the mac OS + mac reliability + mac simplicity and speed usually win you over.

Not always but (bravely) given a good go, usually so.:)

Like I said before - am no 'techie' so my mac thoughts are purely user based, still a good measure I think.

Security Problem? :thinking: NAH! Nice Try:LOL::LOL:

Yeah well that's a problem, because I am a bit of a techie and the OS X I've tried was just odd - I couldn't find any decent dialogue which would enable me more than background customisation when I wanted to turn off the effects and stuff..

Additional progrs are always necessary, they aren't part of the operating system, even though they might be bundled with it.

XP is decently fast on my PC, Arch Linux and PC-BSD are usually faster, though.

I like to tweak and customise my OS (not all the time, of course), which is probably why I didn't like OS X when I tried it.

It seems to be fairly foolproof, which is likely to be the reason why non-techies like it so much.

Drag and Drop - If you have a file you wish to open in a programme on your Dock (Like Quick start menu at bottom) you just drag it into that programme, and it opens! (cool!)

You can drag and drop files to on to program icons in the Quick Lunch bar in XP too.

... the speed the OS boots up is superb and once its on screen, you can use it, no waiting for AV to finish updating, or other hidden programmes to finish running.

My home PC boots up much faster than any of the macs I've used.

Right Click! You can do it, so why not have a button???

Just buy a new mouse with 2 buttons :)

The new Intel Macs are PCs now anyway!

I've never used a macbook but I do use both macs and PC. I must admit it is an absolute pleasure working on a brand new £2500 mac but I bet a similar priced PC would also be rather spiffy :)

Hope the 'foolproof' was a slip of the tongue :LOL:

Not being a 'techie' means I prefer to use my computer than play/fix/adjust (whatever) it.

Bit like driving a car really, people have different goals.

Mine to get where I want to go, quickly/in-comfort/without breaking down. If it looks good too a bonus. If I can fix the occasional glitch double bonus..

Essentially if it does its job and in this case usually exceeds my expectations (been driving a while too) then I'm a happy bunny.(y)

It wasn't, but I meant it like you can't really mess up anything unless you really want to.
I suppose it's not the right word for it, huh.

It's a bit as if a mac was making PC just another piece of electronics like a mobile phone or fridge :LOL:

Of course, I prefer to use my computer to playing / fixing /adjusting it, I said I do it occasionally :)
But with the OSs I use, I prefer to have the power more at hand.

Then again, one should use what works for him / her.

I wonder whether does the GIMP feel better under OS X than it does under Windows.

The purpose of my review was to give people who were thinging of swapping from a PC to a Mac an insight of the problems I faced, be they cultural, technical or that of intelect!
I was not reviewing XP V Mac, all my home machines rin Vista.
For someone not Techie minded who has spent the last 8years building, cutomising and rebuilding PC's a Mac is a welcome non-techie change!!!
If I wanted to be constrained to a mouse for Right click I would be on a desktop, not sat on my sofa with macbook on my lap drinking a beer!
My reivew is what it is, my review.
Take it with a pinch of salt, dont take it at all. It wasnt posted for people to start a Mac V PC debate, open a new thread about that in Out of Focus if this is your desire.
That said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Time for another beer... :)

I've used macs in the physics lab at uni... horrid things :p

"ah i've just finished this bit of work, right time to make a back-up of it"
/does the apple key and drag thing to make a copy of it into a different folder
"Sorry that file already exists... click OK to delete the new copy and the original"
/W...T...F... as all you can do is click ok...

This happend to a course mate of mine I was sitting next to him when it deleted his work, he was not happy...

You can drag and drop files to on to program icons in the Quick Lunch bar in XP too.

Cool, I have learnt something new today, cheers! :)
My home PC boots up much faster than any of the macs I've used.
Mine is nowhere close! - new Vista install

Just buy a new mouse with 2 buttons :)

Ahhhhhhhhh Nooooo! :)

The new Intel Macs are PCs now anyway!

I've never used a macbook but I do use both macs and PC. I must admit it is an absolute pleasure working on a brand new £2500 mac but I bet a similar priced PC would also be rather spiffy :)

Very true, the hrdware is the same, its the OS which makes the difference.. and a gd one IMO!
:)

The purpose of my review was to give people who were thinging of swapping from a PC to a Mac an insight of the problems I faced, be they cultural, technical or that of intelect!
I was not reviewing XP V Mac, all my home machines rin Vista.
For someone not Techie minded who has spent the last 8years building, cutomising and rebuilding PC's a Mac is a welcome non-techie change!!!
If I wanted to be constrained to a mouse for Right click I would be on a desktop, not sat on my sofa with macbook on my lap drinking a beer!
My reivew is what it is, my review.
Take it with a pinch of salt, dont take it at all. It wasnt posted for people to start a Mac V PC debate, open a new thread about that in Out of Focus if this is your desire.
That said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Time for another beer... :)

TIS TRUE!

Speak as ya find I say.

After all that the beer wins hands down.

Fine man ya are!

"Sorry that file already exists... click OK to delete the new copy and the original"

This happend to a course mate of mine I was sitting next to him when it deleted his work, he was not happy...

Tis in the knowing.

As I reported earlier in the year I went MAC and have not looked back as far as my photographic workflow is concerned. Things I dislike? Definitely iTunes. Soon as I find a half decent alternative I will use it. I use WS ftp-pro on my PC and cannot find a nice program like that for the MAC; anyone care to recommend?

I have since bought the wife a new laptop and bought a ....... Toshiba with Vista loaded. It will honestly do more things easier than the MAC and at £900 it was £300 less than a MAC equivalent - and I have all the software in PC versions so that also made up my mind.

My honest opinion is that MC is very good at just doing stuff without fuss and if you have a need for a simple workflow they really do help.

I bought a new wireless printer for all COMPUTERS to use at the same time as I bought the laptop. The VISTA setup required a disc and a few questions and security software saying, "ohh, ahhh! You sure you want to do that?"
The MAC said " a new printer is available. Do you wish to use it?" Answer yes and nothing happens (unless you want to use the printer in which case it just works! :LOL:)

(y)

Hell that could easily happen on some random Windows box too. Both OS's have stupid bugs in them. I've had files lock in Windows till I rebooted. I'm sure anyone who's used Windows for a while will have seen all sorts of sillyness.

windows-vista-error.jpg

323516941_54cb0c9c91.jpg

206835799_26dba11662.jpg

I realise thats OSX :p

love the adobe updater error that kind of thing always makes me chuckle lol

Thanks Scoff for the comparisons, im still undecided which way im going to go but at least ill have an idea what to expect if i switch :)

Right Click! You can do it, so why not have a button??? Scrolling, again you can so why not set it up the same way as everyother laptop on the plannet???
You can, at least I have!
MSN - It is me... I cant get it working...But MS have not released a good version, no video chat! I have a built in web cam... cant use it!
Why would MS do anything for Mac owners re MSN - they want MSn to be used by MS OS owners, besides, MAC has Adium and Skype.

Page close, minimise and expand buttons are on the opposite side to MS OS's WHY? change them?? make life for us converts easier!!!
Again, why should Mac change to accomodate MS...? Change is good... if you always do what you did, you'll always get what you got. Just because MS has it a certain way doesn't mean (1) it's right or (2) it's wrong.

This could be me... But I cant find a way to switch between open web pages like you can on a PC with Ctrl>tab, other than clicking on a visible part of it
Command-tab swithces between runnign apps.

MS Office, just doesnt work as well on a Mac... only because I am used to using it everyday... They have tried to make is more Mac like, instaid of sticking to its functionality, but that is MS's fault, not mac's.
Agreed, but it does work absolutely fine for me on my Mac.[/quote]
Keyboard, it is slightly different to a PC, so when typing I hit the wrong keys often!
Each to their own re keyboard layout... you'll soon get used to the correct layout! :)[/quote]

Overall, now I have it set up how I want it I am reasonably happy.
You'll soon be 100% happy I am certain.

If someone put the Dell on a table and the Mac which one would I choose???
It would be the mac... No regrets, happy with what I have.
(y) me too - and I have both a Dell Latitude D840 and a Macbook

Are Mac's better than PC's? From my experience, the hardware is just about the same. But the Mac OS is significantly better at utilising resource, and not wasting it like MS.

Finally if you have a Mac shop near by, pop in the Totty it attracts is superb, you dont get that in PC world!!!! :)

Neither is better than the other - they both do things differently, some better some not so good. All in all I believe the Mac OS to be far superior to XP or that useless Vista, but at the end of the day it's simply a matter of personal taste - much the same as a current thread running in here.

Enjoy your new Mac.

Microsoft keep being akward when it comes to mac compatability and do it just to ****** people off I'm sure. For example, to use msn messenger, you sign in with an email address and password. You can use lots of different email addresses to sign up....excpet a mac.com one. Whats that all about?

I used to quite like the cyberducky but I've been using Transmit for a while. Its much more powerful, last I read.

[...] Programme removal, drag it to the trash bin, empty trash and that is the end of that! no trace programmes hidden away... its gone! [...]

Oops! Not really: the "apps" in the application folder aren't the whole apps. When you install an app, a number of files get placed in a number of places. Like in libraries, app support, plists, etc. So if you, thereafter, trash the app from the applications folder, you will only trash that part of it. All the other related files stay where they are: not functional and just unneccessarily occupying space on your harddisk and generally causing problems.

To delete apps, completely, I use – surprise! – "AppDelete", which gathers all related files and thrashes them too.

Get AppDelete here (FREE).

Back