PC WONT STARTUP !!!!! PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN..!!

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
My pc has decided to give up the ghost.

I was doing a restore point when it went off ." might not have finished the restore" Now it wont start up at all

The screen is working as it starts up with the micro softlogo the that goes off and nothing.

I have try'd it in safe mode also. but nothing happens..

Any ideas please shout out..

md:thumbsdown:

On boot, press F8 to get into the boot menu and try choosing .. Last good configuration

Got my fingers crossed for you though

Nothing happening mate :(

The microsoft logo comes on then it goes blank All i have is a lonely cursor

md:crying:

have you still got your windows disc?

try starting it from the disc.

Will it work on its own as i cannot click on anything

md:thinking:

I'd leave it at the black screen with cursor for at least half hour, especially if the drive light is flashing, showing activity, as it may be processing the instruction and that can take a while.

Failing that, try booting from the original windows disk and attempt a recovery from there.

Driver light is flashing. I have left it for about a hour

I did get a screen come up that said something had not worked 1st time i pressed ok 2nd time i click the cancel both times same result blank screen with flashing cursor

md:crying:

it should boot on its own i think

if it doesnt you will need to go into the settings to set it to boot from disc.

to get to the settings, if I remember correctly, when the PC is starting up (before the windows logo) you press Delete. im hoping someone can confirm if thats right. (it might be one of the 'F' keys instead0)

try loading the windows disk if that wont run then go into your bios and set the cd as first boot device then maybe it will work but if not and you cant get into safe mode then i am afraid you will have to do a new install

if you have important files on the disk then i would suggest useing a second disk for the new install and then backing up all your data from the old drive

got screen up saying

logon.scr application error
the aplication failed to initiaize proberly (oxcoooo135)
click ok to terminate the aplication

does this mean anything to anyone

md

sorry guys was typing

running vista

md

It sounds like it just needs repairing from the failed restore, a boot of your XP/Vista disk should do it (pick the repair option).

Worst case scenario you'll have to take it to a computer shop, I don't think you've lost any data or its completely dead - unless the HD died that is, usually that makes a noise though.

No noise as such just the normal start up drivers

md:bang:

:thinking:where's that disk:thinking:

put your windows disk in the drive and reboot the pc and keep tapping the delete button untill a blue screen appears.

In here its the second option screen to set your boot drive ..set that to your cd drive and press enter then f10 this will boot to the cd and then choose the repair option it will take about 30mins to complete

Pressed F12

Now i have please select the boot device i dont have the disk is there anything else i can try.

md

I dont have the cd:bang:

if its a newish machine and it was supplied without a disk that usually means the software is installed in another partition and it will be probably f8 or f2 to access it

Get a copy of Ubuntu on DVD. On start up select 'Run from CD'. Do not install Ubuntu on the machine just run it from the CD.

This will allow you to look at the data on your hard drive and make sure it is intact. If your data is good then get an external hard drive and copy all data to it. Don't forget the mail folder and 'my documents' etc which are tucked away in your user folder.

Then, once everything is backed up try the repair option from your windows cd. If this fails then do a fresh install and then copy data back from the external hard drive.

Edit: just seen you do not have a windows cd. Don't panic as your windows install discs are probably on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Just google your machine and model number and 'install from back up partition'. This should tell you what keys to press and when. But first get a copy of the data using ubuntu.

John

Cheers guys i have just been into the bios and its now doing a attempting repairs

wish me luck.

md

I was thinking that between those there with the skills in IT (such as me) could help you fix it :)

Of course if it's working there is no point (y)

Sorry mate its just started up:clap:

Thanks for all the help guys.:clap:

You guys rock " personal thanks to ED34/DOTCOM for the phone call and talking me through it"

Thanks guys

md:clap:

your more than welcome mate(y)

Well done to all those who helped, thats the sort of thing that makes this forum so good.

Bugger MD's back on line run for the hills :runaway: :D

Shouldn't laugh, I had a computer cockup a couple of days ago
and sorted with some pointers from here as well. Good on you guys
and glad your sorted Dave (y)

:clap:

TP TP TP TP TP

GO GUYS GO

:clap:

MD:wave:

nice to see its working!

how did you get it going in the end?

Hitting del as the pc started up .." which took me into the bios " then i was talked through " over the phone" what to do and press. sorry i cannot be much more help i did not really understand what i did.

md

I had similar problem recently. I got to the logo then it wouldnt boot to windows. Turned out the hard drive had gone. I did try the F8 thing and tried to boot in safe mode but nothing.

Back