Peace and Good Will to all men (but not photographers)

It's not silly at all IMHO. Which is why I posted it. Each to their own ideas eh. They wouldn't have anyone coming up to them if they used their phone ... see? It's like at gigs ... the guy trying to smuggle in a dslr gets pulled up, but you can fire away with a compact. And most compacts have much better zoom than your average dslr + zoom lens [you're not going to chance a 600mm lens are you? ] - Authorities. of any kind, see physically large equipment, as being more of a threat, automatically. Like it or not.

Well, in the gig situation, they don't want people selling photos they don't have control over, so 'pro' kit, raises questions. EDIT to add, the gig is likely a private deal anyway, and will have entry conditions. If you try to "smuggle a DSLR in" and it's against their rules, then you should rightly be pulled up.

The general harassment issue, we should be tackling for basic civil liberties. Not saying, "hey what about that woman on her phone over there?! Go hassle her" because that is obviously a step even further backwards.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they don't realise that something that simple, someone with a phone cam, could be a greater threat. They shouldn't be bothering anyone. It's no law breaker to take pics in public ...

I have only been hassled once in the past 6 years while out shooting. That includes out night shooting along the side of busy roads, shooting in playgrounds [my own kids, but other people's kids running close by] - smuggled the dslr into a few gigs, shot people openly on City streets etc ... Alot of it may be to do with your general behaviour/manner while out shooting. Act dodgy ... and they will sniff after you;

Last edited:
My point is, the equipment is irrelevant, as you know. Some people in authority make a distinction, that's there problem. But saying "They should be questioning Missus Jones who's randomly snapping with her phone in the playground" or "someone with a phone cam, could be a greater threat" doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Because someone who's up to no good, is just as likely to be using a 500D as a mobile phone. So we should ignore that aspect completely and just concentrate on the problem of people who assume they have authority, harassing people. :)

Buy a high vis jacket....after all anybody wearing one of them must be there in an official capacity you will never have any trouble again;)

Ive only been asked once what I was shooting(there was a show going on and they thought I was shooting the "celebs" going in...I wasn't by the way)

I laughed and being less than subtle sometimes when I am confronted by idiots who havent a clue what they are on about simply told them to ****** off, worked for me, being 18 stone and a bit intimidating probably helped:LOL:

Outlore
It is a vicious circle, yes, and your second point, the same thinking could apply to anything is correct, and in fact it does. And that's the point I'm trying to make. What to the photographer is innocent, doesn't always look that way to the rest of the world.
Would everyone demand that no one stops and asks a man carrying a box around a residential street at midnight what he's doing? No, of course they wouldn't, yet the same principles apply, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that, but to the a lot of others it looks shall we say suspect.
Just because you're asked to account for your actions, does it mean you are being accused of wrong doing? No, of course not, it just means that what you're doing can be seen as something else. Now, while the photog, or man with the box might well be, and usually is doing something completely innocent, they aren't always.
It's all about circumstances, you'd probably not be too worried by the same man carrying a box around the residential street at midday for example. But would you be worried about a man with a camera pointing it at say kids? Possibly yes. But again, it depends on circumstances. But we are all different, what you see as innocent, I may see differently, and vise versa.

Seriously? Last time I checked we didn't live in a dictatorship You're saying that anything we do is a privilege, not a right? Walking down the street? Sitting on a park bench? Photographers have the same rights as any member of the public. No more, no less.

No, I am not saying it is a privilege, I am saying that a right is something you have positively been given. That's not the case, there is no Section 1 of the Photography Act, no legislation says you have a right to take photos. However there is nothing that prevents you, no prohibition of photography act (in most circumstances, but there are restrictions in law). Ergo it isn't a 'right', it's just there's nothing preventing you, mostly. Thats different from saying it's a privilege.

Gazamonk

The reason why I stated what should be obvious, that not everyone with a camera is innocent, is simply because that is the crux of the entire discussion. If people use cameras in the commission of crime, which they do, then asking people with cameras what they are doing when their actions give rise to suspicion seems to be perfectly reasonable.
You mention cars and exactly the same applies, but in reality, there are far less freedoms for a car driver than someone with a camera. For example as a driver of a car you can be stopped just for driving, no offence, no suspicion of it, just to have your documents examined.
To say that
these people are assuming that everyone with a camera IS guilty
Is I'm afraid utter rubbish, all you are being asked to do is account for what you are doing, simply because to others it doesn't appear the way it might do to you. OK, you don't like it, I understand that, but I am in the same boat as you are, yet I am not ranting or over egging a vague perception my 'rights' are being infringed, simply because they are not.
So perhaps this is as I said originally to you, this is a perception thing. I don't have any thoughts of any infringement, you do. But then person A might see what you're doing as suspicious, but you don't. You are applying what you see as a right to take photos, the other person has an equal right to challenge something they are unhappy about.
Anyway, I've made my point to you, you can take it or leave it, but I am certainly not going to continue arguing against you while you claim black is white.

Priceless, I'm not saying black is white and you are clearly not reading correctly anything on this forum and keep trotting out the same thing (which by the way is completely reasonable and acceptable and no one here is denying that so you are in fact arguing with yourself)

It's not about other people having the right to reasonably ask me about what I am doing, I don't have an issue with that and I am not going to say it again because you are clearly not listening. The persons ( a minority I will grant you that ) I have issue with , and what this whole debate is about, are the ones who are not reasonably asking me what i am photographing or doing, they are just being rude and wrongly demanding that I stop, they don't care what i am photographing they are just throwing there weight around in a misconceived notion that they have aright to do so.

I am also not over egging a vague perception that my rights are being infringed , it's got nothing to do with what is and isn't my rights, legal, unlawful or not specifically covered by a law. None of this debate is about the letter of the law or the majority of officials etc it's about the stupid,irritating little Napoleans who are overstepping there authority and effectively harassing and bullying us.

Your a policeman and if I spoke to you of an evening the way I have been addressed by some of these A-holes you would have me cautioned or down the nick quicker than you could blink.

Okay I've made my point and you can take it or leave it.

Strangely you haven't taken any time making a comment about Brendan's post which is more in line with what you are speaking against. Not black and white enough for you? :shrug:

Ive only been asked once what I was shooting(there was a show going on and they thought I was shooting the "celebs" going in...I wasn't by the way)

I laughed and being less than subtle sometimes when I am confronted by idiots who havent a clue what they are on about simply told them to ****** off, worked for me, being 18 stone and a bit intimidating probably helped:LOL:

Charming.

Priceless, I'm not saying black is white and you are clearly not reading correctly anything on this forum and keep trotting out the same thing (which by the way is completely reasonable and acceptable and no one here is denying that so you are in fact arguing with yourself)

Indeed.

Bernie, I just checked a hunch, and nobody on this thread claimed anyone has a specific legal right to take photographs until you mentioned it, so that you could knock it down.

Now, you will say you have a right to take photos, you don't though, as such. There just isn't anything in general terms to prevent you from doing so.

In rhetorical terms, you created a straw man.

Prior to that intervention of yours, on this thread, the only claim made of any 'right' in the legal sense was one in the official council statement quoted in the OP

Official statement reads (extract)
‘The council has a duty of care during events to members of the public, and has the right to question all photographers.

So, if we are talking about the accurate statement of legal rights (as opposed to freedoms available in the absence of any specific prohibition) can you offer an opinion on whether the council has an express right to question all photographers?

My opinion is that they have none. You appear to agree (revisiting that same post I first quoted)

Now, you will say you have a right to take photos, you don't though, as such. There just isn't anything in general terms to prevent you from doing so. On the other side of the coin, everyone else has as much right to ask you what you're doing and why.

They have as much right - i.e. none. Conveniently, you have kindly framed the debate of definition in terms of statute

No, I am not saying it is a privilege, I am saying that a right is something you have positively been given. That's not the case, there is no Section 1 of the Photography Act, no legislation says you have a right to take photos.

The council has a duty of care (I am unsure whether the official is referring to a duty of tort or a specific statutory duty) but I am not aware that they have any corollary rights in statute to question all photographers (specifically photographers as you have been careful to highlight their lack of specific rights - though perhaps we might allow this to widen in scope to all people) to ensure that they may fulfil their duty.

BTW, I am quite happy to entertain a discussion on the merits of the English legal system's pragmatic preference for duties and remedies over the establishment of express (often constitutionally guaranteed) rights, which are more common in other jurisdictions such as France or the USA.

You are perfectly correct, there is no right to photograph in this country. There are no rights to do most of the things we do in everyday life. I have no explicit right to come and go as I will (walking down the street) but the freedom to do so exists as a the co-relative of your duty as a policeman not to stop me unless you have legal cause.

However, if you are going to use the absence of such positive rights to assert that those freedoms do not exist in our legal framework then I suggest you are applying principles that are not consistent with our legal traditions. Either you have not properly considered what you have written, or you are using it mischievously to undermine your perceived opponents by creating a straw man.

Last edited:
Outlore
It is a vicious circle, yes, and your second point, the same thinking could apply to anything is correct, and in fact it does. And that's the point I'm trying to make. What to the photographer is innocent, doesn't always look that way to the rest of the world.
It (photography) did seem innocent, until over zealous security guards/LEO's and the government made a big deal of it!

Over here, there's even a poster showing a photographer taking pictures of aircraft outside an airport - encouraging people to report suspicious behaviour, therefore the public now see photographers as possible terrorist suspects. In reality - if a terrorist wanted a picture of an aircraft - do we honestly think they would go find one, wait for it to take off/land then shoot it? When there's a million pictures available? Perhaps they're concerned about the copyright issue :LOL::LOL:
Would everyone demand that no one stops and asks a man carrying a box around a residential street at midnight what he's doing? No, of course they wouldn't, yet the same principles apply, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that, but to the a lot of others it looks shall we say suspect.
Just because you're asked to account for your actions, does it mean you are being accused of wrong doing? No, of course not, it just means that what you're doing can be seen as something else. Now, while the photog, or man with the box might well be, and usually is doing something completely innocent, they aren't always.
It's all about circumstances, you'd probably not be too worried by the same man carrying a box around the residential street at midday for example. But would you be worried about a man with a camera pointing it at say kids? Possibly yes. But again, it depends on circumstances. But we are all different, what you see as innocent, I may see differently, and vise versa.
Thanks for highlighting my point - but I don't see "officials" querying just anyone - you could link pretty much any activity to terrorism or other crimes - yet people with large cameras are the target.
If it were just camera users aiming their cams at kids or high security areas, that wouldn't be a problem, but it's not - it's anyone with a camera. There's no "circumstance" common sense being called into play - it's all about the person with a camera.
No, I am not saying it is a privilege, I am saying that a right is something you have positively been given. That's not the case, there is no Section 1 of the Photography Act, no legislation says you have a right to take photos. However there is nothing that prevents you, no prohibition of photography act (in most circumstances, but there are restrictions in law). Ergo it isn't a 'right', it's just there's nothing preventing you, mostly. Thats different from saying it's a privilege.
So, you're saying that being able to drive a car is a right, because it's explicitly set out in law? Funny - I had always considered it a privilege. I also consider that just going about my life, uninterrupted, when I have done nothing that looks remotely suspicious a right - I mean come on, what if the next level of this is that "All terrorists and peadophiles have been known to tie their shoelaces, so anyone tying shoelaces in public should be questioned regarding their actions." - yes, it sounds ridiculous, because it is, and I know it would never happen. If, however someone was tying their shoelaces in the middle of the M1, then yes that is odd, and needs to be investigated. Tying my shoelaces in public, in general, is my right - not because I have explicitly been allocated a right to do so, or because there isn't something stopping me from doing so - but because I have the right to live my life as I see fit so long as I don't break any laws in the process.

I guess your opinion and my opinion on what is a right and what is a privilege are different. (y)

Charming.

i agree..........but if people are reasonable withe me im fine with them il have a discussion with them, if they come all arsey then ive no time for them...i dont suffer fools gladly i value my timeb
so im not prepared to argue the toss with people who think they know better than me when clearly they are talking out of their back passage

i agree..........but if people are reasonable withe me im fine with them il have a discussion with them, if they come all arsey then ive no time for them...i dont suffer fools gladly i value my timeb
so im not prepared to argue the toss with people who think they know better than me when clearly they are talking out of their back passage

Apologies Brendan...misread your post and thought you told anyone who asked even politely to get lost, and not just the arsey ones :)

To me the idea that anyone using a camera is suspicious is crazy. Of course, cameras can be used for crime, but so can almost anything. Rioters use BBM to co-ordinate violence...does that make anyone using a Blackberry suspicious...of course not. Range Rovers make good ram raiders...should the police stop anyone in one near a shop window...of course not.

Sadly photographers are an easy target. Forget about high viz vests, let's all just put big targets on our backs and get it over with.

Wow that's a lot of reading for what is ultimately a couple of questions.

Was this a public place, can the council during an event remove the public place status

Yes, yes, then your can be asked to stop.
Yes, no, then shoot away.

Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council have issued a new statement to AP

Merthyr Council said:
‘The Council is not banning photography, neither is it "anti-photographers" in any way and we already enjoy a productive relationship with various amateur photographers and camera clubs.

‘To clarify what seems to have been misrepresented and misunderstood on this issue, the Council, as a corporate parent takes a sensible approach that is intended to safeguard both the subjects and the photographers.

‘Indeed, this process has regularly enabled amateur photographers to work successfully with the Council at various events, where they have freely shared their photographs afterwards with the Council for promotional purposes, and – in return – the Council has credited the amateur photographer.'

Whoop de do! So, in return for being questioned by their officials, we get the chance for our photographs to appear in the council's advertising with no payment.

But will get a credit, so that's OK then.

I love the way that an official statement on issues of public contention (not just this particular one or this particular subject) always include the line that they are protecting and safeguarding not only the public but the defendant as well. Aw isn't that just lovely of them ? :razz:
Typical local authority speak and rhetoric, normally trotted out when they realise they have spoken foolishly in an earlier statement .

Actually, now I think about it, on the light of their second statement, there is a sort of twisted inductive logic to the council's behaviour.

1. Council views amateur photographers at their events as a source of cheap content for their publicity material.

2. To use individuals' images in such publicity material, you are best advised to get the proper permissions from subjects (i.e the people in photos)

3. Ergo, photographers at council events need to contact the media department to ensure the photographers collect such consents from subjects on the day.

I'll quote the council's initial statement to AP which reads a little differently in the context of this logic

‘We ask all those wishing to film or take photos to complete a media request in advance and ensure that all appropriate consents/permissions are secured during photography sessions.'

Actually, now I think about it, on the light of their second statement, there is a sort of twisted inductive logic to the council's behaviour.

1. Council views amateur photographers at their events as a source of cheap content for their publicity material.

2. To use individuals' images in such publicity material, you are best advised to get the proper permissions from subjects (i.e the people in photos)

3. Ergo, photographers at council events need to contact the media department to ensure the photographers collect such consents from subjects on the day.

I'll quote the council's initial statement to AP which reads a little differently in the context of this logic

‘We ask all those wishing to film or take photos to complete a media request in advance and ensure that all appropriate consents/permissions are secured during photography sessions.'
:clap::clap:
They're not persecuting photographers, it's an elaborate rights grab.
:clap::clap:

And the party that they're actually protecting event visitors from is the council itself. ;)

Last edited:
I got pulled up one time at an English heritage site. I was on a family day out, everybody had cameras and you was allowed to take pictures all around the site. That was until Emma bunton and her family turned up. I was approached and pretty much called a liar by one of the grounds staff for taking a couple of pictures for my daughter of Emma bunton. I was told I worked for a local paper and I needed permission to take pics. When I explained I was on day out with my family he then told me I wasn't and if I sold the pics I'd be in trouble. We packed up and left but even then another person was approaching my car as I drove off. I understand I was on private property but when they allow pics to be taken until a celebrity turns up and then expect cameras not to be used they need to make it much clearer rather than threaten people. I was using a d40x at the time and wonder how it would have been had I been using my d300.

Most people don't see the difference. A DSLR is a DSLR and therefore "Professional". My D40 (without the X) has had me labelled as a professional, or a spy, or a rich show-off on several occassions.

I got pulled up one time at an English heritage site. I was on a family day out, everybody had cameras and you was allowed to take pictures all around the site. That was until Emma bunton and her family turned up. I was approached and pretty much called a liar by one of the grounds staff for taking a couple of pictures for my daughter of Emma bunton. I was told I worked for a local paper and I needed permission to take pics. When I explained I was on day out with my family he then told me I wasn't and if I sold the pics I'd be in trouble. We packed up and left but even then another person was approaching my car as I drove off. I understand I was on private property but when they allow pics to be taken until a celebrity turns up and then expect cameras not to be used they need to make it much clearer rather than threaten people. I was using a d40x at the time and wonder how it would have been had I been using my d300.
You should have requested a refund of any entry/membership fees - unless it states that when a celebrity arrives you're no longer allowed to use your camera.

come across this from time to time at work, it sometimes is understandable but often a pain in the ass and not needed.

the women who says she worked for t paper, if she did she clearly wasn't a journo or photographer, probably HR or some tosh.

I always find its shot dependant, if a posed shot then yes defiantly ask parents permission, explain who its for, take details (which is standard) and show your press card.

If you want a candid, and on public land no permission is needed, no matter how grumpy they get. i find as soon as i say I'm press they back off, or explaining the laws helps. again showing your press card will often help

Back