Peaches - C&C Please :)

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm pretty new here and I'm pretty new to photography.
I just thought i would submit a few recent photos for C&C.

These ones are of my friend Helen's pets.

Angry_Peaches_by_syeuk2002.jpg

Washing_Day_by_syeuk2002.jpg

Peaches_Patio_1_by_syeuk2002.jpg

Peaches_Patio_3_by_syeuk2002.jpg

I'm really looking for brutal criticism . What would YOU do to make these photos better?

Many Thanks

Simon
:)

Ok, you wanted brutal ;)

1st shot you are looking down on the dog, most (not all) animal shots work best if you can get down to their level, the bacground clutter is a bit off putting too.

2) SOrry does nothing for me at all, too much other stuff going on i dont know which the focal point is, the washing basket or the dog or even the gate

3) Not bad, would be much better on grass, with a level horizon and no clutter

4) probably the best in my eyes anyway a bit bright on the levels front and still a lot of clutter in the background.

Can you get your friend to take the dog to a field for a walk and lay down and get some shots of it running about with just greenery around and behind it ? or is it likely to maul or lick you to death ? ;)

Okay, here's "brutal"......sorry.

To me they are "snaps" and not "portraits"....simply just everyday snaps. I suspect that you think the same and that's why you've asked for criticism.

I have a similar problem in that I'm not very artistic and that's something that is hard to learn. I avoid landscapes and portraits for this very reason and take macro, wildlife and alike so that I get some satisfaction from the more technical side of the shot. My wife who is techno-phobic, but very artistic, takes lovely portraits and landscapes and I'm left admiring the shot but being critical of the technical aspects.

However.....
All is not lost. You have the camera and the rest of your life to get it right. Do not be despondant. Pour through a heap of glossy magazines and choose the shots that appeal to you and that you have the options to re-create...ie, find some shots of dogs and then re-take your friends dog in a manner similar to the ones you like from the magazine. You've now got the composition you want but may need to improve on the technical aspects....that's just time I'm afraid.
My shots end up with comments like..."nice and sharp", "good capture", etc etc but then have the dreaded "but's" on the end...the framing or angle of view....the artistic failure in other words.
Some of us are photographers, some of us are artists....the lucky ones are both.

Bob

These guys have pretty much nailed the crit. Good advice from Bob in that you have the rest of your life. Photography is often about constant improvement. Try some of the suggestions, look at what others do (often other good shots are good for technical reasons which you can learn by copying), and HAVE FUN doing so. You improve faster when you are enjoying taking the shot.

(y)

Some of us are photographers, some of us are artists....the lucky ones are both.
Good observation.
Most of us will be happy just getting to the stage of being considered one or the other.

The actual capture of the dog in #3 is fine, it's just everything else in the picture plus the off kilter angle that lets it down. If the dog could be lifted from the page, rotated cw a tad and put on a different background such as uncluttered grass it would be transformed.

I wouldn't be disheartened in any way though.
It doesn't take long to put the early day basic errors behind you.

Hi! :wave:

I agree pretty much with Ian, Definately lose all clutter and concentrate on the subject, you have a lovely model to work with there! Have fun!!! LB

Many thanks for letting me pick your brains.

I have taken it all on board & will return soon with improved shots.

Thanks again for all your honesty, it helps a lot.

Simon
:)

I agree with all the good advice.

But, lol .. just as an observation ...I personally think you've inadvertently taken rather a nice story/arty shot with the first. It is not a portrait shot or a typically good animal composition as has been said.
...it is however very rewarding to look at I find and in many ways does fit with other photographic composition rules (mainly the rude of thirds) ... It made me instantly think of the postman and garden gate scenario, that combined with the broom in another third adding to the scenario ...

It infers a story, sits with my eye ok and its fun. I really like it. (y))

1st nice sharp broom and a blurry dog
2nd washing and a fence
3rd might be a decent dog pick but the surroundings are pants
4th is the best of the lot, but its not sharp

- Watch your focus
- Check the composition then check it again
- Make sure the AF point is the one you want

Back