Peacock

Kim

Name
Kim
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok then.................here is the images that I have been talking about in my "gloat" post: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=141067

So please feel free to leave your thoughts on it, it will be nice to see if you think the same those that are going to rip it apart next month.

Personally, I would have liked to have had the beak a little more in focus..................and I feel the neck/chest is a little blown out (even though it is blue).

oh and all i did to this image was boost the colour a little and sharpen in Photoshop CS2.

Hopefully the size is ok, had to use Flickr to upload from as Photobucket is currenlty having a "I won't load" spaz on me!!!

3547917785_0d033e1ce0_o.jpg

I really like the shot - lovely colours.

The only thing i think they will say is that it looks like you focused on the chest rather than the eye.
Also a bit more DOF would have been nice to get the beak sharp as well.

Composition wise i think it is very nice - i would be tempted to clone the dark blob on top right out though.

Nice work - i can see why they wanted to use it in their mag article!(y)

I thinks your right Kim about the beak could be a little more in focus, and the white cheek patches are a little blown, but the rest of it looks fine to me :)

I'd say the same - it's a bit blown and the head just isn't sharp enough for it to be a 'great' shot as opposed to a 'good', OK - or depending how harsh a self-critic you are - 'dismal fail' of a shot...

It's such a beautiful bird that it would have been nice to see rather more of it. I do find this crop a little uncomfortable. Thinking of the rule of thirds, the head seems a little high.

Just my initial thoughts. These are minor things though as the colours are lovely.

Graham

Look forward to seing it in the magazine Kim, but well done on that anyway. As for crit, I think the points already mentioned will probably be mentioned in the mag as well :) But so long as you learn something from it then it is all good news no matter what. I hope you dont mind but I did a quick edit to sharpen it up a little, and I am quite open for crit as well :D

peacock.jpg

I'd say the same - it's a bit blown and the head just isn't sharp enough for it to be a 'great' shot as opposed to a 'good', OK - or depending how harsh a self-critic you are - 'dismal fail' of a shot...

No shot is ever a "dismal fail" of a shot if you learn something from it ;)

Look forward to seing it in the magazine Kim, but well done on that anyway. As for crit, I think the points already mentioned will probably be mentioned in the mag as well :) But so long as you learn something from it then it is all good news no matter what. I hope you dont mind but I did a quick edit to sharpen it up a little, and I am quite open for crit as well :D

peacock.jpg

It did finally appear in the magazine. I updated my post here to show it in print: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=141067

I haven't looked at thelink tyo the published piece, yet,but for my inut:

sharpness is no issue having seen the later versions. The background split draws my eye though - half dark half light behind the main subject feature - lower viewpoint would have got rid of the dark line of the background.

The dark shape in the top right, similar.

As for the actual bird, nothing wrong with that or the compositional positioning of it.

I haven't looked at thelink tyo the published piece, yet,but for my inut:

sharpness is no issue having seen the later versions. The background split draws my eye though - half dark half light behind the main subject feature - lower viewpoint would have got rid of the dark line of the background.

The dark shape in the top right, similar.

As for the actual bird, nothing wrong with that or the compositional positioning of it.

Thanks. I have had a varied amount of feedback regards the image, but it all constructive which in my eyes is good. One thing that is starting to bug the hell out of me though with the image now is what ever it is I have caught in the to right hand corner.

One thing that is starting to bug the hell out of me though with the image now is what ever it is I have caught in the to right hand corner.

You could be here for a while thinking about that one Kim :D I know how you feel but it is hard to tell when something is thrown oof :shrug: My only guess is that as the Peacock looks as though it is stood on tarmac,maybe you caught the bottom part of a car :thinking: Failing that, pop back and see if it is still there :LOL:

Last edited:
Back