Beginner Peak Design ‘Slide’ camera strap

Name
Pamela
Edit My Images
No
Hi, has anybody else one of these because I was wondering what tripod is compatible without having to use the silver Allen type key. http://

you dont have to attach the strap through the plate so you can use the strap totally independent of any pod mounting

As above, either arca compatible or manfrotto RC2

I've got one, and yes pretty much what has been said above.

I'm not sure that I like it though, it's good in some ways, especially being able to remove the strap quickly and easily. However there are a few things that I don't like:

1) The strap is actually quite stiff in the centre bit so it doesn't fold/pack away very well or easily
2) I don't like the levers for the slide being so hard expecially in view of (1)
3) because of (1) and (2) I don't like keeping the strap attached to the camera when in my backpack as it could scratch stuff
4) the plate for attaching to the Tripod is quite small, I would have preferred it to be longer

Basically it's not a bad strap but it's not as good as a lot of people say imo.

@Jase

1) The strap is actually quite stiff in the centre bit so it doesn't fold/pack away very well or easily
Agreed but I fold it in thirds then it seems to double up ok in my backpack when it's off and folded up in the front pocket. It has two sides, one with rubbery bits for extra grip on the shoulder.

2) I don't like the levers for the slide being so hard expecially in view of (1)
I don't see this as an issue, although there is some occaisional movement, I've noticed when out for a while I sometimes need to readjust because one said has slipped slightly. When wearing it I tend to have the slides inwards to my body.

3) because of (1) and (2) I don't like keeping the strap attached to the camera when in my backpack as it could scratch stuff
I don't have an issue in this, the camera goes at the top/middle of my lowepro and the strap runs down the middle over the lenses, however as it only takes 5 secs to attach/disconnect the strap...

4) the plate for attaching to the Tripod is quite small, I would have preferred it to be longer
They do a pro plate, which is larger for attaching to the manfrotto tripods. At the moment I keep the arca plate on because it is small and doesn't get in the way.

I must admit I thought I'd suffer more wear from the string/cable on the connecting tags, but so far all ok. They have colour coding inside, yellow then red, to make a visible warning when they are getting frayed.

I found the standard strap caused me backache when shoulder slung over a days walking about (or less). Tried the optech but couldn't get on with it. Really like the Peak designs stuff for the flexibility. As said I have the clutch attached all the time, connect and disconnect the slide as required as it takes 5 secs to do this.

I agree with Biker, never had an issue with the peak design, no has it caused an scratches to my gear when stowed. OK I do tend to take it off most of the time (and it can fold quite small if you bend it ;)) but sometimes when I'm lazy I don't and it's not scratched anything,...... yet :eek: ;)

The new PD leash strap has aluminium bits on which surprised me

peakdesign_leash2017_10.jpg

you dont have to attach the strap through the plate so you can use the strap totally independent of any pod mounting

I find when it is attached to the plate on one side and the top of the camera on the same side that when it makes the camera the most confortable to carry. I like it this way even with my 150-600. So yes you don't have to use the plate but it is better in my opinion.

I'm actually struggling to find myself a tripod head to use the peak design strap!
And it's been an expensive non-sence...

I had a manfrotto head.
So i bought the pro-plate.
Then realised it fit "most manfrotto" and mine wasn't a RC2 so did not work.

I bough a vanguard head the new Alta PH-32 but the wrong head arrived. I received the old model which wasn't an arca plate. So i send it back.

I just waited more that a week for the new one to arrive and it did yesterday. But now i have another problem. The problem is the little security pin on top of the plate. The underneath of the plate is different in the PeakDesign that in the vanguard so that my PeakDesign does not fit... The pin puch the plate upward instead of being in a hollowed bit.

I want to try to get this pin out as I don't think it's a necessity it seems to be a screw, but it's hard to access you need an offset screw driver and i don't have one... So i just ordered one tonight hoping it will turn soon and will solve the problem elsewhere i'll have to get the angle grinder out! I can't be bother sending the tripod head away again.

Anyway i spend a lot of money for this strap and starting to get a bit annoyed.

Last edited:

I know but the plate on the tripod socket is most comfortable way of wearing the strap. Won’t the anchor’s cord interfere when you slot in your camera to these supposedly compatible tripods ? Sorry but I am failing to understand the concept [emoji17]
Thanks Jamesrev for your reply.

I use one and am happy with it. I have put a sweat band around the big metal adjuster buckle as I was conscious that it sometimes contacted the screen when taking the camera off and putting down.

I've got one, it comes with an arca tripod plate as standard, but you can get a Pro plate which allows it to fit into Manfrotto heads.
https://www.peakdesign.com/all/proplate

Brilliant strap, long so I can wear my camera across my body and easy to attach/detach. I've also got the clutch which is on the camera all the time, so swap between them

Thanks Biker28i for your informative link. I will contact Peak Design directly and ask if they have a video showing a camera with a Peak Design Slide strap being attached to a tripd.

I use one and am happy with it. I have put a sweat band around the big metal adjuster buckle as I was conscious that it sometimes contacted the screen when taking the camera off and putting down.

Hi Hertsman. Good tip [emoji106] I like it.

I use a Peak Design slide.
It happily connects to my vanguard tripod.
The arca plate supplied with the strap has the connector for the slide strap strung through a hole in the back edge of the plate, not through the eye of the bolt on the bottom of the plate, so fitting to a tripod is simple even with the strap still hooked up./

I know but the plate on the tripod socket is most comfortable way of wearing the strap. Won’t the anchor’s cord interfere when you slot in your camera to these supposedly compatible tripods ? Sorry but I am failing to understand the concept [emoji17]
No, the anchors don't interfere with the tripod plate as they're off to the side. You can even attach the camera to the tripod with the strap still attached, although I always take mine off as it's just one more thing to cause movement if it's windy.

I use a Peak Design slide.
It happily connects to my vanguard tripod.
The arca plate supplied with the strap has the connector for the slide strap strung through a hole in the back edge of the plate, not through the eye of the bolt on the bottom of the plate, so fitting to a tripod is simple even with the strap still hooked up./

That is good to hear Twigman. So no faffing about a silver Allen key in the cold [emoji846] Can I ask what model of Vanguard tripod you use ? I use a travel tripod that is good enough to use as my main tripod. A Velbon QHD-63D. A great ball head though i fear it is out of the question of being compatible with the Peak Design slideIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0115.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

The new PD leash strap has aluminium bits on which surprised me

peakdesign_leash2017_10.jpg

I dislike straps with metal parts.

The new Leash has them too which is why I have just bought one of the old style ones with a single plastic buckle from WEX who still have them available.

I don't know what their thinking is behind using metal !! the original Leash tucks away easily in the bag without the risk of causing any damage.

https://tinyurl.com/ydy99rlv

Last edited:

Hang on I'll take some photos

OK so as said - I have the clutch attached to right side and base arca tripod mount. I have the slide attached as a normal camera strap, through the normal camera strap brackets.

20171025_165737.jpg

The clutch is connected to the bottom bracket but this should give you an idea of size against a body (5D mk3)
You can see the arca plate just has holes in each corner to attach the clip to.

20171025_165757.jpg 20171025_165813.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the phone photos. here's the clips just on their own, seconds to unclip the strap and then use just the clutch.

20171025_170448.jpg

And the strap easily folds up into quarters to store in the bag when unclipped
20171025_171014.jpg

Hope that helps

No, the anchors don't interfere with the tripod plate as they're off to the side. You can even attach the camera to the tripod with the strap still attached, although I always take mine off as it's just one more thing to cause movement if it's windy.

Thanks Snerkler. Yes that is what brought me to the Peak Design Slide. I had a mishap when my camera strap got tangled up with something else when mounted on a tripod in the boot of the car. So I like to detach the strap

I actually have a Peak system attached to my X-T1. This works well for this camera because I like to use the wrist strap for this camera mainly but when i want to put it over my shoulder, I put the shoulder strap on. This is mainly because the Fuji is light, and when storing the camera, I have to detach the Peak because it doesn't fold down as easily as a leather one.

For my DSLR where the strap stays on, i just use a leather one.

5PKvkLT.jpg

I also use the clutch when at home...I love the ease of the system and the way a D500/70-200 2.8 just nicely hangs on your thigh with the slide.

I actually have a Peak system attached to my X-T1. This works well for this camera because I like to use the wrist strap for this camera mainly but when i want to put it over my shoulder, I put the shoulder strap on. This is mainly because the Fuji is light, and when storing the camera, I have to detach the Peak because it doesn't fold down as easily as a leather one.

For my DSLR where the strap stays on, i just use a leather one.

5PKvkLT.jpg
I use the peak design on my EM1 (as well as my D750) as whilst it's light I just find the sling strap most comfortable and most convenient. The only bug bear I have is that the tripod mount of the EM1 isn't centred and do doesn't hang quite as well as my D750 (although not bad), but this is an 'issue' with the camera rather than the strap. The pro plate allows you to move it laterally a touch but not enough still. The EM1-II will be better in this regards as the tripod attachment is central, but then I'd imagine you can't open the battery cover. You just can't win :facepalm: ;)

I'm actually struggling to find myself a tripod head to use the peak design strap!
And it's been an expensive non-sence...

I had a manfrotto head.
So i bought the pro-plate.
Then realised it fit "most manfrotto" and mine wasn't a RC2 so did not work.

I bough a vanguard head the new Alta PH-32 but the wrong head arrived. I received the old model which wasn't an arca plate. So i send it back.

I just waited more that a week for the new one to arrive and it did yesterday. But now i have another problem. The problem is the little security pin on top of the plate. The underneath of the plate is different in the PeakDesign that in the vanguard so that my PeakDesign does not fit... The pin puch the plate upward instead of being in a hollowed bit.

I want to try to get this pin out as I don't think it's a necessity it seems to be a screw, but it's hard to access you need an offset screw driver and i don't have one... So i just ordered one tonight hoping it will turn soon and will solve the problem elsewhere i'll have to get the angle grinder out! I can't be bother sending the tripod head away again.

Anyway i spend a lot of money for this strap and starting to get a bit annoyed.

Just an update on the vanguard Atla PH-32.

I've manage to get the safety pin out which interfered with the peak design plate. It wasn't an easy job, well easy enough if you have the right tool but i couldn't find the right tool so i bent a screw driver at 90 degre to get the screw. I think it must be inserted before the head is put together.

Now without the pin the pro plate works fine. To be fair i think the pin was more a faf that anything else. The Alta PH-32 looks like a good head with a good panorama function, its a little bit taller that my previous head but it seems to handle my camera very well. Both when the column is horizontal or vertical.

PS: when you put install a tripod head don't forgot to tighten this one properly on the column! My tripod has 3 hex screw under the column which tighten the base of the head to the top of the column. I had my tripod for a while and i had forgotten there was these screw underneath!

I use the peak design on my EM1 (as well as my D750) as whilst it's light I just find the sling strap most comfortable and most convenient. The only bug bear I have is that the tripod mount of the EM1 isn't centred and do doesn't hang quite as well as my D750 (although not bad), but this is an 'issue' with the camera rather than the strap. The pro plate allows you to move it laterally a touch but not enough still. The EM1-II will be better in this regards as the tripod attachment is central, but then I'd imagine you can't open the battery cover. You just can't win :facepalm: ;)

I have tried the Canon one, Black rapid, I have Peak as well but I really prefer plain straps that doesn't have any metal part and looks nothing like a camera strap. if I have it over 1 shoulder and holding the camera in my hand, and if you are behind me, you don't know if that is a strap for a leather bag or camera and what camera.

Back