Peak Design Capture clip

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, wanted to ask, how many of you use Peak Design Capture clip?
I think its a nice tool, amazing and all, but I'm not sure if I would use it - I'm too scared to use it :)
I dont use backpacks, so I would probably mount it on my belt. Still too scared to incidentally drop my camera when clipping it in or out, or even whole clip to come off or something.
You don't read about those incidents, people normally leave reviews of usability etc so all good, but did anyone actually had this malfunctioned? Dropped camera when did not clipped it correctly?

I've not had any problems at all with mine on various rucksacks carrying my A6500 and various lenses. I've actually used two clips - one for the camera and one utilising the Lens Kit,
although this was all using a backpack but hopefully still relevant.

I've hiked around Yosemite and the Yorkshire Dales with mine, done a lot of skiing with a GoPro using the Out Front accessory as well as more gentle locations. They are great pieces of kit as far as I'm concerned.

I've never come close to dropping anything. As you need two hands to get the camera out, it's pretty secure, although you can put the camera back with one hand if you like.

It's great not to have the camera bouncing around and have easy, quick access.

Considering how badly some Chinese-made bags are, I think there's far more chance of the bag breaking IMO. :tumbleweed:

Never had a problem with mine. The design is such that the clip itself definitely isn't going to come off, even if the screw somehow works it's way loose.

The plate gives a definite clunk when you clip it in, so you know it's engaged properly - the V3 also allows you to lock the release lever, although even without locking it, the chances of it being pushed horizontally while somehow the camera is pushed vertically out of the clip is unimaginably small.

It's solid, and I trust mine completely.

Never had an issue with mine. Used it on various backpacks and a sling bag. Great bit of kit.

Hi guys, wanted to ask, how many of you use Peak Design Capture clip?
I think its a nice tool, amazing and all, but I'm not sure if I would use it - I'm too scared to use it :)
I dont use backpacks, so I would probably mount it on my belt. Still too scared to incidentally drop my camera when clipping it in or out, or even whole clip to come off or something.
You don't read about those incidents, people normally leave reviews of usability etc so all good, but did anyone actually had this malfunctioned? Dropped camera when did not clipped it correctly?
Noooo. Not the PDCC?

It will eat your children/animals and ruin your marriage. You'll get arrested for no good reason.

Send it to me, I know how to handle it. I have one already that I've used for a few years now so I can deal with it.

Trust me, it's better off with me than you. I offer this as a service to my fellow photographers.

This also applies to Leica and any large format film gear.

:D

Ensure the bottom plate is capable of withstanding the torsional stress imparted by a PDCC.
There are numerous reports of the tripod mount area cracking on a couple of different cameras.
The tripod mount was designed to be exactly that and not a mounting point for a carrying solution
This is just one example I have seen
e06fdd5d00184f948d3c90a44f5839d5.jpg

Never had an issue with mine. Used it on various backpacks and a sling bag. Great bit of kit.

on a sling bag? Interesting, which one do you use it with?

on a sling bag? Interesting, which one do you use it with?
I use it on the Peak Design 6l sling. They have a mounting strap on the side of the sling instead of having to attach it to the strap.

Ensure the bottom plate is capable of withstanding the torsional stress imparted by a PDCC.
There are numerous reports of the tripod mount area cracking on a couple of different cameras.
The tripod mount was designed to be exactly that and not a mounting point for a carrying solution

View attachment 399194Is

Believe the bottom plate on some olympus were pretty poor, M5 mk3?

PD plate must put more strain on though

Believe the bottom plate on some olympus were pretty poor, M5 mk3?

PD plate must put more strain on though
Indeed and I'm not sure the OM5 is any better in that respect

I've come across a few cameras/grips that have had the tripod mount pulled out or broken, mostly by people over tighting the tripod screw or the camera being carried on tripod over the shoulder. That said loads of people use these clips or straps fitted to the tripod mount without issues.
Maybe luck or rough handling plays a part?

I have an L Bracket on my camera all the time, so just attach the capture clip plate to that.

I have aquired a PDCC but yet to use it and had thought of leaving the L bracket on and fitting to that

I have an L Bracket permanently on my cameras. I just attach the PD plate to that when I want to use the Capture Clip.

View attachment 399194

I carry very heavy equipment and it was always a worry about damaging the tripod mount when using the Clip. I even wrote to Sigma asking about connecting it to the tripod foot of the 60-600mm heavyweight but their reply was non-committal saying that the tripod mount was just that. It did cross my mind that many users may suspend the camera and lens upside down from an invertible tripod and no one says you can't do that. I would say that so long as there isn't too much of a shock to the mount it should work OK, but no jumping down steps etc. perhaps which might inflict undue force on the mounting hole.

I would say for light to medium weight equipment the Capture Clip is fine but I worried constantly about the stuff I used and always held it with my hand as well, just in case, which kind of defeated the object. It's the that same reason that I've stopped using my Black Rapid Breathe as that too relies on the tripod mount hole. I use a Peak Design Slide now as at least I can halve the load on any one anchor point.

As you need two hands to get the camera out, it's pretty secure, although you can put the camera back with one hand if you like.

When I had mine, I had no trouble getting the camera out with one hand. I grabbed the camera grip with my right hand and using the fourth finger I could press the button and slide the camera out. I found I usually needed two hands to guide it back in but if I'd kept it longer, practice might have improved things.

When I had mine, I had no trouble getting the camera out with one hand. I grabbed the camera grip with my right hand and using the fourth finger I could press the button and slide the camera out. I found I usually needed two hands to guide it back in but if I'd kept it longer, practice might have improved things.
I see what you mean. It's pretty awkward f the camera is on a backpack shoulder strap.
For belt mounting, as the OP wants to use it, I imagine it's easier one handed, but I'd not recommend it! :)

Back