Peak design travel tripod

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I’m looking at purchasing a travel tripod and am really interested in the peak design travel tripod, however I’m torn between the aluminium one or the carbon fibre one.
It’s not something I will be using daily but I need something small to fit into my backpack and still offer great stability.
Could anyone offer any of their experiences with either of these please?
Many thanks

There was a recent thread on travel tripods that’s worth reading.

This is a great review and provides a lot of detail.

I went through this a few years back just as the peak design tripod was released. I ended up with a gitzo travel tripod (100yr anniversary edition sold off on sale). It would be worth looking at the gitzo travel tripod if you’re considering the peak design CF version as they are the same price.

The gitzo travel tripod is the tripod I usually pick up first as it’s small and light.

Small form factor with integrated head are the main benefits of the peak design.

MPB had some used CF last time I looked.

Two of my friends have the PD travel tripods. 1 carbon, and 1 Ali.
Both really rate them.

There was a recent thread on travel tripods that’s worth reading.

This is a great review and provides a lot of detail.

I went through this a few years back just as the peak design tripod was released. I ended up with a gitzo travel tripod (100yr anniversary edition sold off on sale). It would be worth looking at the gitzo travel tripod if you’re considering the peak design CF version as they are the same price.

The gitzo travel tripod is the tripod I usually pick up first as it’s small and light.
Get a used Gitzo, there is a carbon fibre one in my local LCE for about £260! (no head)
Thank you. I’m off to look at the Gitzo ones now. I’ve got one of there monopods and that’s great.

I have the carbon fibre PD tripod and am really pleased with it. I can't really compare it with others that I don't use though!

I have the aluminium version, it is nice and light.

I've been really impressed with my CF PD

sure it's not as sturdy as my big rigs - but fits in carry on luggage and is plenty good enough if used properly

it gets taken out more often than my systematic as a result

unless it's blowing a hooly or I'm using a gimbal it's the Peak Design every time

Dave

Thanks all, is it fairly easy to attach the camera to the tripod head?
I have only ever used manfrotto ones before with their quick release plates.

+1 for the peak design CF.....if you have peak design plates they fit the tripod head....so easy to alternate between tripod and say peak design clip ......theres something quietly satisfying about how the tripod is engineered......

clipping the camera to the head is a doddle with the supplied plate - if you have area Swiss plates they just slot in too

if you prefer a different head then you can buy a convertor to a standard thread

Dave
I was having a look at that converter earlier but I was a bit flummoxed by the 3 additional threaded pins.
I’ve currently got a ball type head on my manfrotto tripod but I can’t for the life of me work out how it comes off lol and I’m wondering if the head would really need all four screw threads to attach it to the converter.
I do like the head on the manfrotto but am wondering if it might make the whole set up too tall for my backpack on the peak design tripod. But I can always give that a try once I have decided to definitely go for the pd tripod.

if you like a ball head you'll likely be happy with the included head

the headed pins are for extra security once you have screwed your preferred head on (simply wind them up until they bite in to the base of the head

In fact I'm off up to Mull for Christmas and it's slotted easily in to my backpack (camera gear is in a think tank airport trolley for transit)

I don't like ball heads myself but am happy using the built in head on the PD as it's so cartable with it fitted

DaveIMG_1879.JPG

if you like a ball head you'll likely be happy with the included head

the headed pins are for extra security once you have screwed your preferred head on (simply wind them up until they bite in to the base of the head

In fact I'm off up to Mull for Christmas and it's slotted easily in to my backpack (camera gear is in a think tank airport trolley for transit)

I don't like ball heads myself but am happy using the built in head on the PD as it's so cartable with it fitted

DaveView attachment 376642
Thank you, that’s great to know. The carbon fibre on the tripod looks ace.
Now I’m torn between aluminium and carbon again lol.
Would you recommend the carbon over the aluminium?

Yes, it is one of the few decent Arca Swiss type quick release plates.

If you get the aluminium you’ll only end wishing you’d got the CF

Back