Peak District Location ID Please

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Mother Cap on Millstone Edge

Excuse the ignorance, but is Millstone Edge the same as Over Owler Tor? I've heard of the Mother Cap but not had the chance to visit yet although it's on my bucket list. A list that gets bigger and bigger every time I visit TP.

If you park at surprise view car park you can't miss it, it's massive.

Thanks David, I know the area, but only as Over Owler Tor. Looking at one or two other photos, the area seems to have a few different names, I've seen Hathersage Moor, Millstone Edge and Over Owler Tor.

For me the area offers very little photographically. I much prefer the little wood near the lay by and also Bolehill Quarry. Surprise View is ok but is better suited to sunset by which time all the passing planes have made the sky a real mess.

YMMV though, you may be able to smash a few worldies. :D

Excuse the ignorance, but is Millstone Edge the same as Over Owler Tor? I've heard of the Mother Cap but not had the chance to visit yet although it's on my bucket list. A list that gets bigger and bigger every time I visit TP.

Have a look on bing maps OS map layer (search for Surprise View, A6187, Hope Valley, United Kingdom). They are all shown on the OS map. I can't post a screen print as OS maps are copyrighted.

Thanks David, I know the area, but only as Over Owler Tor. Looking at one or two other photos, the area seems to have a few different names, I've seen Hathersage Moor, Millstone Edge and Over Owler Tor.

From surprise view car park the path to the west takes you along Millstone Edge, follow the path onto Owler Tor and there is a path leading back to surprise view car park that goes past Mother Cap or go further onto Hathersage Moor towards Higger Tor.

The OS map layer on Bing Maps is really useful for looking where places are.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Rob. Really appreciated.

Useful Thread guys Thanks. I'm going to pay a visit up that way in August

Collectively the area is known as Surprise View where there are several named rock formations....Mother's Cap, Over Owler Tor and Millstone quarry, plus below the road Bolehill quarry where there are birches and millstones.

Augus,t what a beautiful time to go with all that purple-sprouting heather.

Some more locations if you follow this link https://www.fotovue.com/news/out-and-about/peak-district-29th-august-2016/

Back