North England Peak District locations?

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, pick your brains time

Me and SWMBO are off to the Peak district in November, we are staying in Edale near Mam Tor and although its not a Photographic Holiday as such, its still a good opportunity to use my camera, (hardly done so this year!) so what I'm asking is for some good locations for us to try to visit if the weather isn't too bad. I know about Stanage Edge and Labybower reservoir , but any other suggestions and advice would be welcome. you know the sort of thing, easy routes to take and parking etc. I am also dabbling with the idea of getting a second hand UWA lens to take with me & some filters.

So come on guys and girls, can you please help a fellow photographer who has lost a bit of his mojo with some help & advice.

Thanks

Doug

Ive always thought of getting those guides linked to above but I went the foto vue guide route instead.

the only downside of this guide is it’s size, but it contains a great deal of information (hence the size). I usually keep it in the car rather than the camera bag.

the obvious place would be Mam Tor especially if there’s a cloud inversion (don’t expect to have the place to yourself if there is one).

as for edges Curbar and Millstone edges are the easiest to access with car parks close by. There are waterfalls at padley gorge too but it’s not flat walking as there’s bit of a slope (it’s waterfalls so expected).

Ive always thought of getting those guides linked to above but I went the foto vue guide route instead.

the only downside of this guide is it’s size, but it contains a great deal of information (hence the size). I usually keep it in the car rather than the camera bag.

the obvious place would be Mam Tor especially if there’s a cloud inversion (don’t expect to have the place to yourself if there is one).

as for edges Curbar and Millstone edges are the easiest to access with car parks close by. There are waterfalls at padley gorge too but it’s not flat walking as there’s bit of a slope (it’s waterfalls so expected).

I have the fotovue book and this one too https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2015/07/peak-district-through-the-lens-by-james-grant/
Both excellent books, but the small paperbacks are much easier to stick in a bag and have the main places with reasonably accurate postcodes.
Also give distance from car parks and difficulty of walking, got them for some other areas too, invaluable little guidebooks.

I have the fotovue book and this one too https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2015/07/peak-district-through-the-lens-by-james-grant/
Both excellent books, but the small paperbacks are much easier to stick in a bag and have the main places with reasonably accurate postcodes.
Also give distance from car parks and difficulty of walking, got them for some other areas too, invaluable little guidebooks.
Small size is very useful if you’re carrying it. I often get around that by keeping the guidebook in the car and take photos of the location pages when I’m at the particular location. That saves me carrying the book with me as I don’t really look at other locations when I’m at one location taking photos.

Winnats Pass is good, park up by the cattle grid at the top if you don't want a steep climb

Here's a few.

Ilam, Ashford-in-the-Water, Buxton, Castleton in fact most of the small town and villages have some interesting features.

Dovedale either park in Milldale or use this postcode DE6 2AY

Matlock Bath and the Heights of Abraham:- www.heightsofabraham.com

Carsington Water DE6 1ST :- www.stwater.co.uk/wonderful-on-tap/our-visitor-sites/come-visit-us/carsington-water/

Jacob's Ladder Parking at Edale or Barber Booth

The Monsal Trail. www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/miles-without-stiles/monsal-trail

The Longdendale Trail past Bottom's,Valehouse, Rhodeswood,Torside and Woodhead Reserviors.

The Goyt Valley around Errwood and Fernlee Reserviors

Various caverns
Blue John :- bluejohn-cavern.co.uk

Peak :- peakcavern.co.uk

Spreedwell :- speedwellcavern.co.uk

Magpie Mine if you like abandoned type stuff, its a disused Lead mine
Use this postcode for parking DE45 1QU not the village one that quite often gets quoted

Magpie Mine 1.1.jpg

I posted a similar question last year, also for November, and ended up at Dovedale. The only problem I found was that the low sun didn't get into the valley much.

Thanks guys, just what I wanted, some great ideas for places to visit. I will now do some homework on your suggestions. Please continue to let me have more ideas for places to visit.

Is it worth me investing in 2nd hand UWA lens though? I'm a Canon eos70d user so only looking at a 10-18 as I don't want to spend a load as I'm thinking if going ff next year

Some from my list:

Mam Tor and Hope Valley

2. Padley Gorge

3. Alport Castles

4. Lyme Hall and Cage

5. Lathkill Dale and Over Haddon

6. Stanage Edge

7. Leash Fen

8. Chrome and Packhouse Hills

9. The Roaches and Hen Cloud

10. Crowden Valley

11. Upper Dovedale

12. Goyt Valley

13. Curbar Edge

14. Luds Church

15. Rockhall Cottage

16. Fairbrook

17. Howden Dam

18. Peters Stone

19. Kinder Scout

20. Arbor Low Stone Castle

21. Millers Dale

22. Back Tor

23. Higger Torm

24. Three Shires Head

25. Winnat's Pass

Thanks Brentor, that's certainly given me some home work, with plenty to investigate

Thanks guys, just what I wanted, some great ideas for places to visit. I will now do some homework on your suggestions. Please continue to let me have more ideas for places to visit.

Is it worth me investing in 2nd hand UWA lens though? I'm a Canon eos70d user so only looking at a 10-18 as I don't want to spend a load as I'm thinking if going ff next year
It is worth a try - it will guide you on what lenses you need to buy when you upgrade. Personally I've never been a fan of UWA. I found the Canon 17-40L to be too wide on full frame, it was perfect on 1.3x crop.

Makes sense to walk the Great Ridge and head up Kinder from where you’re staying. Grindslow Knoll and Ringing Roger are easy enough and once you’re up it’s basically flat if you want to go elsewhere. Chrome Hill and that area is great but don’t expect autumn foliage there in November, you need snow, frosts, low mists to add some atmosphere at that point. Same with most of the White Peak I think.

Back