Peak District versus the Lake District

Mick Ryan

Advertiser
Name
Michael Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I was reading the Lake District or Peak District thread where Cass2017 was deciding which area to go to.

I know both areas very well, having climbed, walked, photographed and lived in both areas - I lived in Ambleside for three years and lived in Bradwell in the Peak for six - and also lived in Bishop in California's Sierra Nevada for nine years. I now live close to Hebden Bridge - another fantastic area to wander around with a camera.

Someone said on that thread, "but scenery wise the Lake District wins hands down over the Peak District. I was quite underwhelmed by the Peak District but the Lake district is marvellous."

That statement just doesn't resonate with me as a photographer.

The Lake District doesn't win hands down over the Peak. The two areas are different that's all and while you may prefer one over the other, both are absolutely fantastic areas to photograph - with the usual proviso that in some cases it is dependent on where and when you go, what you are interested in photographing and the light/weather.

The scenery in the Lake District is primarily mountainous with lakes, woodlands, streams, slate quarries – just got Colin Bell's book that features Thirlmere and Hodge Close quarry - magnificent. The Lake District as we all know is full of magnificent vistas at every turn and in good light is celestial, and in low and changing light is moody and dramatic. Even when it rains there is something to photograph.

There's a good article here about the Lake District https://www.fotovue.com/features/area-articles/lake-district/

Now the Peak doesn't have high mountains or much in the way of lakes, but it does have two or three distinct and contrasting areas, some of which are unique such as its gritstone edges like Stanage and Curbar that stand over the high limestone plateau of the White Peak with its deep dales split by streams and rivers. It's high moorlands such as Kinder and Bleaklow can be dark and menacing, that produce dramatic and desolate photographs, or on a sunny day in August when the heather is in full purple bloom is bright and colourful.

Here is some Peak District diversity.... https://www.fotovue.com/features/area-articles/the-peak-district/

No. I'm not having it, there is no contest, they are both great areas for photography.

all the best,

Mick

No winners or losers, enjoy each area in its own right and be pleased we have such beautiful countryside.

For a Londoner like myself they are all wonderful, Epping Forest was always one of my favourite places to go.
Now living in Cambridgeshire so any hill is a treat, writing this from a little break in the Lincolnshire Wolds, another very scenic area

Not been to the wolds, must go.

It's my main hunting ground, beautiful area. If you're used to the Peak District or Lakes there aren't many obvious tripod holes, but there are some great hidden views that would surprise even Lincolnshire people. I expect by the end of the month there'll be plenty of hay bales in the fields, always fun to work into a composition

It's my main hunting ground, beautiful area. If you're used to the Peak District or Lakes there aren't many obvious tripod holes, but there are some great hidden views that would surprise even Lincolnshire people. I expect by the end of the month there'll be plenty of hay bales in the fields, always fun to work into a composition

It was very pleasant, daresay I didn't find any of the hidden views you know of, just a case of driving around and stopping when it looks interesting.
Particularly liked Woodhall Spa, technically not in the Wolds, but some interesting buildings especially the "Cottage" and the "Kinema" (Tea Rooms in the Woods served very nice grub too)

Drove out to the coast one evening for a stroll and the obligatory F and C's, Mablethorpe, what a crap hole made Gt Yarmouth look nice, Sutton On Sea was a bit more pleasant though.

One thing we did notice was how people took dogs into the shops including places serving food. Not service dogs, mostly mangy old mutts, be out on your earhole a bit sharpish down here if you did that

"but scenery wise the Lake District wins hands down over the Peak District. I was quite underwhelmed by the Peak District but the Lake district is marvellous."

That statement totally resonates with me as a photographer, as I find the Peak District pleasant but uninspiring photographically

Whenever I go to the Lakes I feel like I've come home (and no I don't (yet) live there) and I want to stop anywhere & everywhere to explore and photograph; and whenever I'm in the Peak District I feel like it has great driving roads and just wish for a sportier car, and empty roads, I rarely feel the desire to stop and less so to get the camera out

Dave

Try Scotland. If you think the Lake District is good, try Scotland.

All I know is plenty of photographers come from the Lake District to Scotland, but hardly any of us come from Scotland to do the Lakes.

The Peak District is just a place to drive through some fun roads in a sporty car. The reservoirs are interesting but if you want reservoirs, you want the Elan Valley.

You say there are no mountains in the Peak District. As a person who would be described as a flat lander (Lincolnshire - south Holland) It has bloody mountains ;)

Both the peaks and Lakes have ability to take the breath away! Especially when you find a little gem hidden in the woods after stumbling around for an hour!
Could quite happily drive to both every weekend and while away the days.

If you're not afraid of putting your foot down, I would highly recommend driving (responsibly 40mph limit remember ;) ) up from Ambleside at about midnight and enjoy the nice empty twisty and windy roads (Without people being slow because of the gentle sloping corners)

It was very pleasant, daresay I didn't find any of the hidden views you know of, just a case of driving around and stopping when it looks interesting.
Particularly liked Woodhall Spa, technically not in the Wolds, but some interesting buildings especially the "Cottage" and the "Kinema" (Tea Rooms in the Woods served very nice grub too)

Drove out to the coast one evening for a stroll and the obligatory F and C's, Mablethorpe, what a crap hole made Gt Yarmouth look nice, Sutton On Sea was a bit more pleasant though.

One thing we did notice was how people took dogs into the shops including places serving food. Not service dogs, mostly mangy old mutts, be out on your earhole a bit sharpish down here if you did that

I can't say I've noticed the dog thing and lived here quite a few years! Woodhall's great though, Kirkby Moor just down the road has some nice old woodland too which looks superb on misty or frosty mornings. As for the coast - agree Mablethorpe isn't great. Theddlethorpe, Gibraltar Point and Anderby Creek are quite nice for quiet walks though.

Back