Cave Dale
Cave-Dale8001a.jpg

Winnats Pass
Winnats-Pass8001a.jpg

Winnats Pass again
Winnats-Pass800a.jpg

:) Thanks for looking,

Anthony

I think I prefer the composition of the first, but the processing of maybe the 2nd 2. Not too sure on the orange cloudy sky.

Gary.

I like the composition of all 3 but No 1 is my favourite, mainly because I remeber walking down that path into Castleton many times whilst I used to live over in Sheffield...

being slightly negative I'm not 100% on the colours, especially the green, are these HDR shots ?

Simon

:) Thanks guys.
The first was taken with a sunset grad filter...Perhaps a little harsh so I've updated with the same scene shot with a NG filter.
Any better?

Not HDR shots btw.

1 is my favourite, I love the light against the trees!
I like the sky in 2 and 3 but feel the foreground on the left is maybe a little too bright.

First Winnats pass one for me. Don't know why but the composition of the second one just doesn't do anything for me.
Was up there at the weekend for the first time in ages, stunning part of the Peak District. Wish I'd taken the camera as there were loads of parascenders off Mam Torr.
I'll add Cave Dale to the list of places to get up to as that looks fairly spectacular as well.

That first Winnits Pass one is really nice.

Winnats Pass is hard to shoot. It runs West North West at the top and turns East North East halfway down.

The morning has the best light - but half of it is always in shadow.

It looks great in the snow - but it's a scary drive when it's icy!

I've never been able to get a shot there that I have been happy with.

I like the Cave Dale pic the most.

The orange puts me off the Winnats Pass images though I like the illumination in the second one. Perhaps a tighter crop? The foreground rock formation is possibly a little distracting (taking it across around 1/3 the way up produces a really nice wide aspect shot, to me at any rate!).

The orange grad doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Number one is interesting. Underexposed as it is, but not underexposed enough to be a silhouette. I wonder what it would look like if you darkened the ground a lot and cropped off the bottom. Just leave the sky against silhouetted ground...

(y) Thanks very much for your valuable input everyone...Some very good points taken onboard.

I think I can conclude that I perhaps I made a bad choice of filters for these shots or even given the light conditions and time of day, it may have been wiser not to use filters at all...Well perhaps just a polarizer.:)

I've converted the Cave Dale shot to mono and It's perhaps the best option I've got at the moment...

Cave-Dale800bw.jpg

:D I've also got this shot of Winnats Pass, taken with no filters attached to my lens...

Winnats-Pass8003.jpg

:thinking: Any better folks?

Anthony

Back