Pearls

I’m sure I read somewhere that one of those flares is large enough to engulf our earth, happy to be corrected :)

Great image ;)

That's cool with the Sun flares..
I’m sure I read somewhere that one of those flares is large enough to engulf our earth, happy to be corrected :)

Great image ;)

Those are prominences, not flares. Prominences are plasma (hot gas) flowing along the magnetic field lines in big loops. A flare is like a bubble of high energy particles that erupts from the solar surface. Flares give rise to coronal mass ejections which if big and sent our way may not be good news. Prominences can break off and float away too but they're generally more benign. Prominences are most easily seen when viewed on the edge of the solar disk but with a Ha filter you can see them on the solar disk as well, except then they're called filaments............. Fascinating thing, the Sun, but you wouldn't want to mess with it............. :eek:

Fantastic photos, Steve. You must be really happy with them.

I remember from 1999 the corona was really good. No photos (2 min totality, 35mm film camera and a 28 ft yacht) but I did do a series of sketches. We were very lucky as there had been a lot of cloud and it cleared completely from the crucial part of the sky. So many people saw nothing but cloud that day

I recall watching the partial eclipse when we lived in Oxford in 1999, wonderful :)

Back