Peculiar AF Performance - Nikon D810 + 20-35 2.8

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I have just taken delivery of a Nikon 20-35 f/2.8.

I am not sure whether this is a characteristic of this lens, or whether it is faulty.

When on the D810, the centre AF point is fine. However, when selecting any of the AF points one stop away from the centre in any direction, the lens hunts and never locks on. However, go further than this... and it looks on fine on all the other AF points. Only on all the AF points one stop out from the centre.

Is this normal for this lens? Or is it time to send it back?

Thanks,
Chris

How does the AF perform on other lenses. D810 AF is pretty mind blowinly good on any AF point and I use a huge range of lens on it (sadly not that one to verifyy). I doubt it's the body but it might be a compatibility thing although I've used legacy glass on this body no problem

The centre AF point is almost always better than the others in difficult conditions, but they should all be very usable in most situations.

Are you testing like for like though, ie not just shifting the AF point, but also moving the camera so it's over the exact same subject? That could make a big difference - all AF systems need a target with good light/dark contrast to lock on to.

Are the AF points of different types (i.e. cross in some cases?). Have you checked performance against both vertical and horizontal areas of contrast?

Thank you gents.

I have looked at some sample images and the centre of the image does look a little fuzzy. - I'll upload images later.

I have tried different subjects and the problem is very repeatable.

I tried with a 35-70 in the same camera and it's spot on on all af points.

I've decided to send the lens back - its a shame, however with a repeatable fault, I'm not prepared to put up with it.

Back