Peeking tawny owl

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably a marmite shot. Not everyone will like the lack of a 2nd eye, but I think it adds to the intimacy of the shot.

EOS-1Ds MkII, EF 500f/4L IS, gimbal, tripod

C&C appreciated

Paul

Well as a marmite shot i love it, im sure a few captions could be added to it as well!

I hate Marmite but love this shot Paul, well done (y)

Well I like it Paul.

Personally I'd crop a little more of the tree out of the shot, as I feel it's a little too imposing, but I think it's really nice, sharp, and I really like the depth of field!

Chris

looked at it few times and decided...like it a lot

Love marmite love the shot Paul
unusual & natural looking at the same time (y)

(When you get a peeking duck let me know and I'll be round for tea :D)

Reminds me of a popular Ben Hall shot! I think a second eye would have made the shot.. it just doesn't sit right as it is :(

I like it.............a charming picture.(y)

Like it as well Paul, works very well for me. (y)

i like it to ,when you peek from behind something it is with 1 eye so hes doing it right lol
Rob.

Thanks all. It's more popular than I thought!

Personally I'd crop a little more of the tree out of the shot, as I feel it's a little too imposing, but I think it's really nice, sharp, and I really like the depth of field!

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I tried various crops but ended up with this one partly because I felt the imposition of the tree was part of the image, making the owl look reclusive. Appreciate it doesn't work for everyone but that was the thinking.

Reminds me of a popular Ben Hall shot! I think a second eye would have made the shot.. it just doesn't sit right as it is :(

Thanks for your honesty Phil. I have to say I don't follow Ben's work but presume you mean "tawny owl peering around tree" on his website.

The person I have seen execute the "peering bird" best in recent years is Pete Cairns and I guess it was his work I was thinking of as I set up the shot. I have some of 2 eyes but deliberately excluded them from the selection. Partly because I wanted to try something a bit "different" and partly because I wanted to use the curve in the branch to give a hint of the second eye (through the "eyebrow" ridge) without showing it completely.

Back