Studio Pegs & Legs

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Some more of one of the strangest people I know..

The pegs shot was a challenge.. Ben was working fast and without stopping to get them all on; he normally has performance adrenalin to get him through the pain.
Getting some natural looking light in the eyes was awkward.

The legs shot was just a quicky, really, without a lot of thought given to lighting or framing; we rattled through a couple of dozen contortion poses so he had a record of what he can do.

Pegs
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Legs
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Great and different ! Love the skin tones and light in the second.Pants are cool too and go perfectly with the background. Would that be called cross lighting ?

Gaz

A couple of great shots Simon, if not a little strange. I guess we all have our own preferences as I personally like the tight framing on #1. And #2, also works very well for me.(y)

George.

Thanks, all, for taking the time to comment.

Would that be called cross lighting ?

I believe so but I'm not an expert in the names of the various common setups. I think that cross lighting often has the rear light larger and brighter than the front; they were about the same here but the more frontal light was a little closer. The two lights were gridded stripboxes; ISTR there was a reflector near the camera position too.

Note to self: take pullback shots.

Thanks, all, for taking the time to comment.

I believe so but I'm not an expert in the names of the various common setups. I think that cross lighting often has the rear light larger and brighter than the front; they were about the same here but the more frontal light was a little closer. The two lights were gridded stripboxes; ISTR there was a reflector near the camera position too.

Note to self: take pullback shots.
Cheers Simon.
Are you using strobes these days or speedlights ?

Gaz
Sorry for being so nosy and thank you for being so helpfull.

Gaz

Cheers Simon.
Are you using strobes these days or speedlights ?

Gaz
Sorry for being so nosy and thank you for being so helpfull.

Gaz

No worries, happy to share.. these were taken with Elinchrom studio strobes. Speedlights don't do a very good job of filling larger modifiers or stripboxes, though I do sometimes use a mixture in the studio; speedlites are good for accent lights. Similar results to the first one could have been obtained with speedlights but not the second. The acrobatic stuff I often shoot tends to take up a lot of space, which means getting the lights a fair distance from the subjects to avoid too much fall off, and that in turn means using large modifiers if you want to soften the light.

oh, and the first one had a large gridded beauty dish directly in front of Ben and just above him, a reflector below that and gridded strip boxes either side and behind him. The light on the backdrop was a from a tear in the side of the stripbox; I liked it so didn't flag it off. I think I had two large black flats around Ben to increase the contrast, too.

Replacing the gridded stripboxes with bare speedlights and the dish with a reflector brolly & speedlight could probably have produced something similar.

Great shots, I would of like the first one more if he was facing the camera a bit more to see more of his face

Your wish is my command.. I preferred the first precisely because it isn't straight on, 'cos I fall into the trap of doing a lot of straight-on stuff, and because it has more of the 'sadness of a clown' thing going on. There's a bit more of the real person in it rather than the performer.

Pegs III

Pegs II

Back