Review Peleng 8mm fisheye

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I got my fisheye at christmas, and I haven't really got out to have a go with it properly, but I managed to take a few shots, and the ones that came out well I've been really impressed with.

The lens cost me £150, and I managed to find it that price on ebay, and thats pretty much the ONLY place I found it.
On arrival, the lens is in a box that looks like its from Russia, or the like. Inside is an instruction manual that looks like its written in code (in English, just impossible to understand!) and a small lens bag.
The lens bag is velcro, and padded, and pretty poor. Holds the lens fine though.

The lens is pretty damned heavy, and has no automatic features, therefore the aperture and focus are both manual. A rear lens cap fits on the back, and takes about 5 minutes to put on and take off, due to poor fitting. The lens cap on the front is pretty much that - a cap. It slides on, and slides off just as easily.
The front element is completely exposed, not only to light, but to grubby finger prints, loose change, and anything else that is hefty and sharp enough to put a nice big scratch on it.
That said, the lens produces some really surreal results. On the 350d sensor, you get unbelievable peripheral vision, almost 180 degrees is what it seems.

Due to the poor instructions, its pretty difficult to guess the focus, and the markings on the lens don't make it any easier. If shooting up close, this can be an issue, but shooting at any sort of distance will be fine due to the huge depth of field.

I've heard of issues of the lens rear element hitting the mirror of some cameras, but this isn't an issue with the 350d.
Here are some tasters.

2166672745_6342e7b54c.jpg

Heres a shot of a tea towell from literally centimetres away. As you can see, the focus isn't too bad. A little soft, but from centimetres away, and at a complete guess, this isn't too bad.
As I said, some surreal results!

2167464432_9ee69c75fd.jpg

Heres a shot of my Dad, again, from centimetres away. This one was so close, in fact, that his big grubby nose hit the lens and left a nice big mark right in the middle!
I've completely missed the focus on this one because its surprisingly difficult to guess the focus.

So, if you're looking for a... mediocre :)shrug:) fisheye lens that is difficult to use but can produce some excellent results in the right hands, then this is your lens (y)

Is 8mm actually true fish eye on a cropped sensor?

i believe on a full frame camera, you would get a circular image, but on a cropped sensor you get a cropped image, hence the black corners.

Nearly bought one myself but never got round to it, rugift.com also sell them (as well as other russian lenses) but not as cheap as ebay.

Back