Peli bag

Name
CAROL
Edit My Images
Yes
Im off to Kenya in March(y)

I have a bag but its no longer big enough for the gear i want to take with me! do any of you know where i could view the 1510 peli case as Im not sure just looking on the net. the others ive been looking at are the think tank and the storm.

Im based in the preston area but cant find a shop that stocks them. Im open to ideas too, I have 2 backs, a 100- 400, 24-70, 70-200, sigma 105, flash and a couple of extenders.

thanks
cas

I'd caution against a Peli case if you are taking an internal flight at all. They are very heavy. I've used a ThinkTank Airport Acceleration a number of times in Kenya and reckon it is ideal for the job - why do you want a hard case?

My review of the ThinkTank is here

Paul

thanks Paul, I just thought it would give the best protection against the dust and what the keynian roads throw at us :LOL: the last time i went the camera case got thrown about a bit.

Peli cases are amongst the best hard storage you can get, although as said, their heavy, and not cheap.

I bought my Storm Case from www.galeforcecases.co.uk and they're based in Manchester.

Not sure how far Preston is but Blue Moon7 (Chris) went to the facility and viewed them before purchasing, as he needed one for his Nikon D3 etc.

So that would probably sort out the Storms, no ideas about Pelis or Think Tank.

I've written a review on the Storm Case (a size or two up from airline carry on size).

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88766 :)

I think it also depends on what sort of vehicle you will be shooting from but they are big and clunky as well, if you are short for space it may be a problem.

I've now taken my ThinkTank bag on 3 safaris and would heartily recommend it.

Where are you going in Kenya?

I have looked at your review Paul and the weight of the peli ones have put me off! yours does look ideal.
I havent booked our safari as yet, Im hoping to get one cheaper out there. we are going to the sun n sand hotel north of mombassa for 2 weeks.

Peli cases are amongst the best hard storage you can get, although as said, their heavy, and not cheap.

advice taken the weight has put me off thanks

I bought my Storm Case from www.galeforcecases.co.uk and they're based in Manchester.

Not sure how far Preston is but Blue Moon7 (Chris) went to the facility and viewed them before purchasing, as he needed one for his Nikon D3 etc.

So that would probably sort out the Storms, no ideas about Pelis or Think Tank.

I've written a review on the Storm Case (a size or two up from airline carry on size).

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=88766 :)
thanks mark
looking at your review, it looks a great case but to heavy for me, im looking at the think tank soft ones now

thanks mark
looking at your review, it looks a great case but to heavy for me, im looking at the think tank soft ones now

No probs (y) Glad it helped in some way..

I guess it depends on whether you intend to carry it with you in the cabin or hold.

Most airlines have carry on weight limits and if it's 10kg which most adopt then the case itself will account for 8 of that limit.

Having said that, baggage handlers are notoriously careless and wreckless with people's luggage, so I'd personally pay a £5 surcharge etc. to use my Storm to protect the equipment.

Just my 2p worth and personal thoughts :)

No probs (y) Glad it helped in some way..

I guess it depends on whether you intend to carry it with you in the cabin or hold.

Most airlines have carry on weight limits and if it's 10kg which most adopt then the case itself will account for 8 of that limit.

Having said that, baggage handlers are notoriously careless and wreckless with people's luggage, so I'd personally pay a £5 surcharge etc. to use my Storm to protect the equipment.

Just my 2p worth and personal thoughts :)

its just too heavy for me I think i will keep my kit with me:LOL: I would hate the handlers to lose or abuse it.

And internal flights in Kenya are typically 15kg or 20kg for everything. Although you can blag it a bit (my last trip my camera bag was 17 kg) it can be tough.

My approach has always been to take a bag that fits as hand luggage and carry all my sensitive gear myself (although I have been known to check in a 300 f/2.8 wrapped in a jumper!)

And internal flights in Kenya are typically 15kg or 20kg for everything. Although you can blag it a bit (my last trip my camera bag was 17 kg) it can be tough.

My approach has always been to take a bag that fits as hand luggage and carry all my sensitive gear myself (although I have been known to check in a 300 f/2.8 wrapped in a jumper!)

Heck thats a low allowance! I think i best start to think about what kit i need rather than what i would like to take

If you are staying in Mombassa, you may be able to leave stuff at the hotel whilst you go on safari. My sister did last year.

Paul

I have decided on one of those Paul(y) they look great I just need to find one at the right money now
thanks
cas

Back