Pelican nebula (IC5070)

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the Pelican nebula (on the right hand side) and the edge of the North American nebula to the left. This is located in the constellation of Cygnus and is about 1800 light years from Earth. This is a two pane mosaic as the Pelican is too large to fir into the field of view of the camera. This is a combination of 30 exposures, each one totalling 30 minutes (15 hours total exposure time).

I hope that you like it!

IC5070 (Pelican nebula) in bi colour by swag72 ([URL='http://www.swagastro.weebly.com)[/url']www.swagastro.weebly.com)[/url], on Flickr[/url]

I love all these space shots... I really like how its a mystery to me how it works and is done (plan to keep it that way). :)

This is superb as per usual.

I love all these space shots... I really like how its a mystery to me how it works and is done (plan to keep it that way). :)

This is superb as per usual.

Totally agree with you Bryn. It's a bit like magic revealed, you kind want to know but might be disappointed once you know. I have no idea how on earth you can mosaic 30 pictures taken across 15h (so surely more than one night) of moving objects. But the result is always worth it. Great photo!

Like it, it is far beyond just, "like". It is, as are all your deep sky shots, superb.

Dave

Very good. For me is totally misterious how did you do it?
I like it a lot!

Thanks all for your comments. I'm glad that you like it.

Here goes then - A little information to take away the mystique :D

My mount tracks the sky all night, and so to this end I can take a 30 minute exposure without any star rotation (as you'd normally see in star trails shots for example). I point to a target with computerised slewing and then set the imaging run. In this instance I took 7x30 minute subs. I then moved the image in the frame so that I got an overlap and this gave me the mosaic - Another 7x30 minute subs. The next night, I did the same! Each night I can return to the same part if the sky and add to it.

Different filters pick up different light wavelengths, so you get different information with each one. These are then combined into an RGB image in PS and that's that!

My mount tracks the sky all night, and so to this end I can take a 30 minute exposure without any star rotation (as you'd normally see in star trails shots for example). I point to a target with computerised slewing and then set the imaging run. In this instance I took 7x30 minute subs. I then moved the image in the frame so that I got an overlap and this gave me the mosaic - Another 7x30 minute subs. The next night, I did the same! Each night I can return to the same part if the sky and add to it.

Different filters pick up different light wavelengths, so you get different information with each one. These are then combined into an RGB image in PS and that's that!

Still dont get it! and am sure its far more complex than that.... :)

:):):)

I'm very impressed! You made this sound very easy but I believe is not. I'm glad there are photographers like you, dedicating so much time and effort to show us amazing things.
Very well done!

Thanks Eve - It's difficult to explain in layman's terms just how it's all done as there's quite a lot of jargon and techno-babble. I'm glad that you like it (y)

:)
Thanks Eve - It's difficult to explain in layman's terms just how it's all done as there's quite a lot of jargon and techno-babble. I'm glad that you like it (y)
I visited your website, where you explain very nicely a few areas of astrophotography. I could say I have better idea now. And I think is a lot's of effort to create one stunning picture like that one from this threat! Well done I'm very impressed.

i think sometimes photos go beyond normal words. just the thought of even trying to photograph something like this thats so far away is pretty much beyond comprehension.
Dedication and having the right equipment are clearly a factor but that doesnt take anything away from the sheer beyond wow factor.
its an image i can look at and only imagine the joy in being able to produce something so out of this world " literally". if i could just get a shot of the milky way id be over the moon but this is just way beyond any expectations i have.
outstanding

:clap:I think you wanted to say Amazing!
i think sometimes photos go beyond normal words. just the thought of even trying to photograph something like this thats so far away is pretty much beyond comprehension.
Dedication and having the right equipment are clearly a factor but that doesnt take anything away from the sheer beyond wow factor.
its an image i can look at and only imagine the joy in being able to produce something so out of this world " literally". if i could just get a shot of the milky way id be over the moon but this is just way beyond any expectations i have.
outstanding
:agree:

:clap:I think you wanted to say Amazing!

As my own worst critic I would say 'quite well' at best.

outstanding

Thanks Dean - It's a very niche area to be able to image this type of stuff that's for sure!

Thanks!

As my own worst critic I would say 'quite well' at best.

Ok, you are an expert here, but if this one is 'quite well' at best which one is your 'the best' of them all?
Please post or send a link. Now I'm courius. :)

Last edited:
just been looking at your website and your setup ( equipment and obervatory )... wouldnt even like to hazard a guess how much this all cost. just great to see dedication and passion for the subject matter.

Ok, you are an expert here, but if this one is 'quite well' at best which one is your 'the best' of them all?
Please post or send a link. Now I'm courius. :)

I would say Eve that this image is probably as good as any I have done. Probably my favorite is this one http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/heart_and_soul_mosaic_-_nb.jpg but I can't say it's any better technically than the one posted above!! :)

A little bit of magic and a whole lot of patience...nice image.

Philip

Thanks Phillip (y)

just been looking at your website and your setup ( equipment and obervatory )... wouldnt even like to hazard a guess how much this all cost. just great to see dedication and passion for the subject matter.

Cheers Dean :) It's certainly cheaper to be a daytime photographer :D

Back