Pembrokeshire coast

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
One from my trip to Pembrokeshire back in July, Marloes Sands. It is a beautiful place. I think this is my favourite from the film. I love the dramatic look of it and the detail in all the areas. Rolleiflex T, Acros, Rodinal 1:50 and fiddled with in LR4, Silver Efex 2 and CS 6.

All critique welcome. There are plenty more on flickr and a whole film to scan so I might inflict more once done!

Pembrokeshire Acros and Rolleiflex T July 2012 2-12-Edit-Edit.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

Lovely, lovely stuff Jim. Great compo, tones and exposure, love it.

Andy

Andysnap said:
Lovely, lovely stuff Jim. Great compo, tones and exposure, love it.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I am finally getting to the point that I actually like some of my photos! I might even print this one!

Lovely sky, lots of detail in the image. I do like the square format of the Rollei and the glass never fails to deliver.

Jao said:
Lovely sky, lots of detail in the image. I do like the square format of the Rollei and the glass never fails to deliver.

Thanks. Even the relatively cheap Rolleiflex T with its tessar lens is a fantastic performer.

Out of interest what scanner do you use?

Great work Jim, there's something really appealing about b&w coastal shots, there's great depth and tones to this one. How much work did you do with Silver Efex? I've considered buying it but am unsure how much use it wold get on top of LR.

I know it's a long way off but I should be there for work next year and I'm really lokking forward to taking the Nagoaka there.

RaglanSurf said:
Great work Jim, there's something really appealing about b&w coastal shots, there's great depth and tones to this one. How much work did you do with Silver Efex? I've considered buying it but am unsure how much use it wold get on top of LR.

I know it's a long way off but I should be there for work next year and I'm really lokking forward to taking the Nagoaka there.

Thanks Nick. I use silver efex quite a lot now and find it really useful with film and digital. It is intuitive and gives great results. It's only weakness is introducing unwanted noise during processing but this can be dealt with in LR.

My workflow post scanning now usually involves LR to sort, crop, straighten and perform gross changes to the exposure and tone curve. I will then export to silver efex and work down the options to give the look I want. I will then take it back to LR, again adjusting exposure as necessary. If there is major repair work or selective editing it then goes into Ps for attention. Finally there is then noise reduction and any final tweaks before exporting from LR.

It may not be a "pure" film workflow but it gets me the final image I want. That along with enjoying the whole process is what matters to me!

Thanks for the comment but I don't agree with this one. If I had pulled any more out of that it would have started to look a bit too "HDR" to me.

Thanks for the comment but I don't agree with this one. If I had pulled any more out of that it would have started to look a bit too "HDR" to me.
No, I didn't mean that - perish the thought! I just feel that the bias is too far towards the pale/silvery. I looked at your other Pembrokeshire shots on the 'show us your film shots' thread too, and I felt the same about them. I am sure it would be possible to create a bit more richness in the tones without making it look at all HDR, which itself tends towards the tonally flat.

However, I fully concede that this is your image and your vision, not mine :)

simon ess said:
Nowt wrong with that.

It's beautiful.

Thanks Simon. I ended up still liking it to have ordered a couple of prints (sent in a couple of different ways) as tests for larger prints from DSCL.

Back