Pembrokeshire Star Trails (now with a pic)

I have the same lens and find it great also but never try long star trails.
The large area of black is distracting. Interesting how the star trails look like a tunnel or vortex about to suck in the building... :)
How was this lit and how many shots were stacked?

It would probably look a bit better with the bottom cropped off it but it was just a bit of messing about for an hour. The bottom bits of wall were lit with a head torch, hence the different colour than the rest which was just lit by a garden light from a nearby house. Its 77 30 second exposures @ ISO 1000@ f2.8. Stacked in Starstax.

Guess the illusion is made by the outer stars travelling further and being anchored by the Pole Star in the centre.

Looking good. Nice lighting on the castle walls, good placement of Polaris, and solid trails. I've borrowed the Samyang for a couple of weeks, and its worked well over the 17-40mm I usually use so far!
Good work on this - Like it!

Cheers Matty. Still don't do as much of this as I would like but I'm slowly building up a set of locations that I want to use as and when the weather allows.

The Samyang is great value. The only issue I've found is that the infinity focus is a bit hit and miss on them. I thought mine was rubbish when I first had it until I discovered that infinity focus is just past the 3 metre point. I believe there is a DIY adjustment that can be done but k ow I know we're the point is I'm happy.

Last edited:
How did you light the foreground? I keep meaning to try star trails but keep getting interrupted by clouds!! Great shot though!!

Thanks Adam. The foreground was lit with a small head torch. There was some light on the top of the walls from an adjacent property. I edited the first frame in lightroom with an adjustment brush to bring the foreground colour back towards the rest of the walls as it was a bit white from the LED.

Yeah, its all about patience and hoping the weather works out. Was all set for some great trails last night, but despite being clear, and cold, there was a lot of humidity due to the rain, which kinda hampered the trails
Keep at it, I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Back