Pendle Hill Sunrise

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
A location I've wanted to visit for a while, Black Moss reservoirs below Pendle Hill. Went to visit family in the North after lockdown started to open and had chance to make a visit last week on a cold morning. Conditions were good but not perfect. As the sun started to rise there was just enough air movement to break up the reflections. Having scoped it out on google maps I hadn't realised how few viewpoints there are here. Managed to position the camera to get a nice reflection and separation with the grass.

I'm sure this isn't an original view given the limits of this location, and without clambering into the reservoir area, but it's a first for me and an enjoyable morning out.

First shot about 20 minutes before sunrise, very blue, just a hint of colour but better reflections and the low hanging mist. About 10 minutes before sunrise the colours are building nicely, but I went for a longer exposure to smooth the water and try to keep the reflections but you lose the mist.

Constructive C&C welcome

pendle blue hour by Alan, on Flickr

pendle hill by Alan, on Flickr

I do particularly like the colours of the second shot, and like this the small extra degree of rippling isn't enough to be noticeably different - that's my favourite.

The second shot loses it for me. Not a fan of that particular effect. Turns the reflection into a blob.

Two very nice landscape style shots Alan, liking both of these very much with my fav' being #2.

The first for me of these two, albeit a bit more separation between the edge of the bank and the reflection of the distant hill would've been better IMO

The first for me of these two, albeit a bit more separation between the edge of the bank and the reflection of the distant hill would've been better IMO
Thanks, I agree I would have liked more separation. I found it's quite a limited location, there is a long high wall you have go work over / around to get composition. I have a Manfroto tripoid and had the centre column extended and flipped over to get the camera wedged across on top of the wall to get that angle. If I get chance to go back there may be more angles, but probably very specific spots over the wall.

Thanks, I agree I would have liked more separation. I found it's quite a limited location, there is a long high wall you have go work over / around to get composition. I have a Manfroto tripoid and had the centre column extended and flipped over to get the camera wedged across on top of the wall to get that angle. If I get chance to go back there may be more angles, but probably very specific spots over the wall.

Well, you can only work within the particular limitations of a site and the conditions on the day :)

Back