Beginner Penrith, Keswick, good locations close by ??

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, going up this weekend staying half way between Penrith and Keswick. Taking the MG and it's not a totally dedicated to photography break and of course the weather is bound to come in to play but any suggestions within 30 mins drive of the above that I may get lucky with ?

Been up before but this time going with my newly acquired "photographers" eyes on :)

Might come back via Ribblehead viaduct if the weather is ok on Monday.

Any thoughts ??

Castlerigg stone circle is very close to Keswick.
And a certain pier on Derwentwater.

Many thanks, just been looking and some great potential there.

If you are up for a walk Cat Bells (just south of Keswick) is relatively easy and great for landscapes.

A bit more off piste there is a mining museum near Threlkeld with some seriously big diggers.
It's sign posted from the A66.

Can you read a map? If so forget those honeypots. Try somewhere different.

Tewet Tarn is near where you are staying.

Tewet Tarn
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

The Coledale Fells

Or if you can get up in the morning - parking is limited - try Kentmere

A mountain tarn

The old quarry buildings

You could also try Mardale Head and go up to Small Water, but the road was iced over last weekend and I don't know if it's clear yet.

Had a lovely day driving about in the MG and taken some semi decent pictures. Got some decent ones at Buttermere Lake and going to Castlerigg in the morning but weather not too promising. Will upload a couple when I get home. Managed to get a couple of decent "jump out of the car quick" ones early this morning on my iPhone. Mist
had come up by the time I got my camera out of the car but pleased with the day in general. We will be up here a lot this year and really looking forward to exploring the area as the seasons progress.

Back