pentacon 6 - good, bad or ugly?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I dont know a whole lot about this camera but from the results ive seen it seems a weapon! Ive just bought a metered prism for my bronnie and hopefully that will make it more of a handheld portrait snapper (i cant get a handle on handheld metering and dont have enough time for the foreseeable future to master it) Does the pentacon have a built in meter? are they expensive? or is there something else medium format similar to an SLR with built in meter that does the job better.

This is pure hyperbole btw as im in no financial position to buy one (unless i sold my bronica)

don't need your pockets to be that deep, my kiev 88 cost 80 pounds with a 80/2.8 and a back ;)

I REALLY want the 30mm fish eye though

Some info on the various models HERE although I might be inclined to look at the Pentax 67.

I've just listed a cheap Kiev 60 in the For Sale section, have a look at that.

Dave.

Metered prism finder is an option. Large fabric shutter leads to inaccuracies and slow flash sync speed. There's a knack to loading and winding the film to avoid knackering the mechanism.

Tweaked Kievs here: http://araxfoto.com/cameras/

hmm cheers for the info esp that link Knikki, not in a position to buy anything (gf has just paid my tuition fees for the year!) but if bronica doesnt work out then itd be nice to see if anything else would fill the gap. really looking forward to getting my metered prism on monday :D

One of my mates has the Pentacon 6 with the 30mm fisheye.

He says it's a good bit of kit but the only thing to bare in mind is that the flash sync is only 1/30th. Also the glass is okay but not as good as the Bronica

Pentacon 6 is from a splendid era of communist incompetence.

I just bought a Pentacon 6 (fully refurbed in as new condition, complete with leather case) with the 80/2.8 lens from a guy called cupog on fleabay for 150 pounds including shipping. Seemed like the cheapest way into medium format and Zeiss lenses. :) Would easily buy from him again.

Had it for a couple of weeks now and love it. It is built like a tank and the lens is incredibly sharp. I got a non metered prism for it for .99p!! You can get metered ones off the bay as well but i have a light meter so didnt bother.

If well maintained it is a great camera but they are all rather old now. The range and quality of the lenses is excellent, which is the main factor with any camera (I have got outstanding results from the Biometar 80/2.8 on my Canon 5D Mk2, which is about as tough a practical test as you can give a lens). They are heavy but handle like a big 35mm camera. It is certainly a good entry possibility for 6x6 medium format but for not much more you can get a Pentax 645 and use the same Pentacon Six manual lenses with an adapter. The Pentax is a late 80s design, the Pentacon is a 1950s design.

Yeah thats why i bought it - Zeiss lenses. :) I will vouch for cupog again as he does a fantastic job restoring them.

I guess the other benefit is the gorgeous 6x6 rather than 6x4.5

Yeah thats why i bought it - Zeiss lenses. :) I will vouch for cupog again as he does a fantastic job restoring them.

I guess the other benefit is the gorgeous 6x6 rather than 6x4.5

Yes, I think my 50mm flek, 120mm Biometar and 300mm Sonnar are all from cupog.

If people want rectangular rather than square negs, the 6x4.5 is more economical and may give you the same size final result as a 6x6 with the top cropped off.

Back